SATA drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:22:15 -0700, JohnM wrote:

    >I'm lost, instaled a SATA drive on my MSIK8T neo motherboard. Set the
    >options for SATA on in the bios, at some point seem to have loaded drivers

    What options? Boot from SATA, RAID, Non-RAID.

    You didn't mention the BIOS Award or Phoenix or version.

    >from a floppy that came with the board ... there are 2, one VIa and one

    Okay drivers a good idea when the OS detects a new device and asks for
    them.

    >Promise. All now works but on start up I'm told that

    Still looks okay, for a VIA chipset and a Promise controller.

    >BIOS not installed

    What BIOS isn't installed? Ah the Promise RAID controller because there
    aren't 2 drives.

    >I don't have an array! ... Iknow that, but I can't see how to have SATA
    >without RAID!!!

    You generally pick the non RAID option. Sometimes the names are a bit
    odd, like Base.

    Award BIOS will be very like a lot of others.

    Onboard H/W Sata - enable / disable
    Serial ATA Function - Base / RAID

    Onboard ATA/RAID - enable / disable
    RAID controller - RAID or ATA.

    So If it all works on startup, when your OS starts can you see the
    drive? This was your aim after all and if the RAID function isn't
    activated it sounds okay as well.

    Me

    why?, Jun 10, 2007

  2. why?

    old man Guest

    And sometimes an array has to be set to JBOD if only a single hd is being
    used

    old man, Jun 10, 2007

  3. why?

    old man Guest

    Read the mobo manual for using Sata with only a single hd

    old man, Jun 10, 2007
  4. why?

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JohnM" <> wrote in message
    > I'm lost, instaled a SATA drive on my MSIK8T neo motherboard. Set the
    > options for SATA on in the bios, at some point seem to have loaded drivers
    > from a floppy that came with the board ... there are 2, one VIa and one
    > Promise. All now works but on start up I'm told that
    >
    > BIOS not installed
    > I don't have an array! ... Iknow that, but I can't see how to have SATA
    > without RAID!!!

    Like Why said, if everything works, ignore the message. That is NORMAL. It
    is merely telling you that you DON'T have the RAID enabled. The controller
    card checks to see if it needs to install it's BIOS to provide RAID. When it
    sees that you don't NEED the BIOS, it says "BIOS not installed."

    WhzzKdd, Jun 10, 2007
  5. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 09:25:50 GMT, old man wrote:

    >And sometimes an array has to be set to JBOD if only a single hd is being
    >used

    That's the other 1, think I have seen that on Promise PCI cards and it
    is on the Adaptec SATA PCI card I have.

    Sometimes it's not wasy to guess if the OP means they have Promise PCI
    card or a Promise cutdown RAID 0 or 1 in the BIOS only option when all
    that was memtioned was a Promise driver.

    >> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:22:15 -0700, JohnM wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm lost, instaled a SATA drive on my MSIK8T neo motherboard. Set the
    >> >options for SATA on in the bios, at some point seem to have loaded

    >drivers
    >>
    >> What options? Boot from SATA, RAID, Non-RAID.
    >>
    >> You didn't mention the BIOS Award or Phoenix or version.
    >>
    >> >from a floppy that came with the board ... there are 2, one VIa and one

    >> Okay drivers a good idea when the OS detects a new device and asks for
    >> them.
    >>
    >> >Promise. All now works but on start up I'm told that

    >> Still looks okay, for a VIA chipset and a Promise controller.
    >>
    >> >BIOS not installed

    <snip>

    Me

    JohnM, Jun 10, 2007
  7. why?

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "JohnM" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the many replies ... I've search the manual ... hard copy and
    > on line, checked every option in the BIOS and am coming to the conclusion
    > as you have suggested ... it's normal ... it all seems to work fine.
    > (Feels faster than my original IDE ..) Thanks all of you for your help

    We have RAID in three servers of the four servers at work: and there's an
    extra controller for the tape backup in one, which does that exact message
    for that controller. And we have a server without RAID using a SATA
    controller that does the same thing.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 10, 2007
  8. why?

    JohnM Guest