    Win XP Pro SP1

    Regards,
    Hans

    Hans van Soest, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Hans van Soest

    ICee Guest

    Hans van Soest wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My computer boots from a 30 Gb IDE drive.
    > The secondairy drive is SATA.
    >
    > Is it possible to boot from the SATA drive without
    > the IDE drive on board? If yes; can someone tell me how to
    > do this?
    >
    > My configuration:
    > ASUS A7NX8 E DeLuxe motherboard
    > 1 Gb Memory
    > SATA 120 Gb 7200rpm HD
    > IDE 30 Gb 5200 rpm HD
    > ATI 9800 Graphics
    > Win XP Pro SP1
    >
    > Regards,
    > Hans

    AFAIK, you just set the SATA drive as the first boot device in the BIOS,
    and it will boot from it as long as it has an OS installed.

    --
    "Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as
    makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in

    ICee, Feb 3, 2004

  3. On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:12:34 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >Hans van Soest wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My computer boots from a 30 Gb IDE drive.
    >> The secondairy drive is SATA.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to boot from the SATA drive without
    >> the IDE drive on board? If yes; can someone tell me how to
    >> do this?
    >>
    >> My configuration:
    >> ASUS A7NX8 E DeLuxe motherboard
    >> 1 Gb Memory
    >> SATA 120 Gb 7200rpm HD
    >> IDE 30 Gb 5200 rpm HD
    >> ATI 9800 Graphics
    >> Win XP Pro SP1
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Hans

    >AFAIK, you just set the SATA drive as the first boot device in the BIOS,
    >and it will boot from it as long as it has an OS installed.

    Thanks for your reply
    Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    Looked alover and can't find it....

    Hans van Soest, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Hans van Soest

    ICee Guest

    Hans van Soest wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:12:34 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hans van Soest wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My computer boots from a 30 Gb IDE drive.
    >>> The secondairy drive is SATA.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to boot from the SATA drive without
    >>> the IDE drive on board? If yes; can someone tell me how to
    >>> do this?
    >>>
    >>> My configuration:
    >>> ASUS A7NX8 E DeLuxe motherboard
    >>> 1 Gb Memory
    >>> SATA 120 Gb 7200rpm HD
    >>> IDE 30 Gb 5200 rpm HD
    >>> ATI 9800 Graphics
    >>> Win XP Pro SP1
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Hans

    >> AFAIK, you just set the SATA drive as the first boot device in the
    >> BIOS, and it will boot from it as long as it has an OS installed.

    > Thanks for your reply
    > Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    > Looked alover and can't find it....

    Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That does
    have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?

    ICee, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Hans van Soest

    Hans Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:19:21 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >Hans van Soest wrote:

    >>> AFAIK, you just set the SATA drive as the first boot device in the
    >>> BIOS, and it will boot from it as long as it has an OS installed.

    >> Thanks for your reply
    >> Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    >> Looked alover and can't find it....

    >Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That does
    >have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?

    It's a Phoenix BIOS, no such thing as SATA option or it's named different.

    Hans, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Hans van Soest

    Hans Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:19:21 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >Hans van Soest wrote:

    >>> AFAIK, you just set the SATA drive as the first boot device in the
    >>> BIOS, and it will boot from it as long as it has an OS installed.

    >> Thanks for your reply
    >> Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    >> Looked alover and can't find it....

    >Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That does
    >have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?

    Looked at it.
    The only option I see that could solve my "problem" is selecting a SCSI
    drive. Is this the case?

    Hans, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Hans van Soest

    ICee Guest

    Hans wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:19:21 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hans van Soest wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your reply
    >>> Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    >>> Looked alover and can't find it....

    >> Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That
    >> does have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?
    >>

    > It's a Phoenix BIOS, no such thing as SATA option or it's named
    > different.

    Actually, it's an Phoenix-Award BIOS (they merged awhile ago, but the
    layout is still that of the Award BIOS).
    However, after looking at the manual for that MB, it does not have a
    selection for SATA as first boot device, which is odd, since the Abit
    NF7-S (basically the same hardware and features, as well as the same
    BIOS) does have that option.
    Unless someone else comes along with a suggestion, you might want to
    post the same question at _alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd_ and/or
    _alt.comp.hardware.overclocking_ . I've seen many posts there regarding
    the ASUS A7N8X, and I'm sure you will get a definitive answer there.

    ICee, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Hans van Soest

    DAN Guest

    "Hans" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:19:21 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hans van Soest wrote:

    > >> Thanks for your reply
    > >> Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    > >> Looked alover and can't find it....

    > >Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That does
    > >have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?

    > Looked at it.
    > The only option I see that could solve my "problem" is selecting a SCSI
    > drive. Is this the case?
    > >

    > Are we assuming that you installed the SATA drivers from the mobo disk? If

    you boot to a different drive, does Windows recognize the SATA drive?

    DAN, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Hans van Soest

    DAN Guest

    "Hans" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:19:21 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hans van Soest wrote:

    > >> Thanks for your reply
    > >> Then my question is: where in the BIOS can I find this setting.
    > >> Looked alover and can't find it....

    > >Advanced BIOS Features> First Boot Device> set to Serial ATA. That does
    > >have an Award BIOS, doesn't it?

    > Looked at it.
    > The only option I see that could solve my "problem" is selecting a SCSI
    > drive. Is this the case?
    > >

    > Try posting here

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    DAN, Feb 4, 2004