    connect to it with my desktop via an USB adapter. Could I install XP
    from the CD on my computer to the SATA
    drive via an USB Adapter. The drive letter just happens to be J:

    Jumper, Nov 23, 2007

  2. Jumper

    Fred Guest

    "Jumper" <> wrote in message
    news:NZI1j.211318$Fc.27428@attbi_s21...
    > Can one install XP on my laptop (Gateway) which has a SATA drive? I have
    > tried and failed with many so called utilities
    > that allow you to hit F6 and install XP.
    > I was going to try a different route and wanted to know if this was even
    > possible. I can take the SATA drive and
    > connect to it with my desktop via an USB adapter. Could I install XP from
    > the CD on my computer to the SATA
    > drive via an USB Adapter. The drive letter just happens to be J:

    Sometimes, on newer motherboards, the SATA drives can be set to standard IDE
    in the BIOS.
    Otherwise locate the motherboards SATA controller drivers in inf form and
    slipstream them into a copy of XP using http://www.nliteos.com/

    Fred, Nov 24, 2007

  3. Jumper wrote:

    > Can one install XP on my laptop (Gateway) which has a SATA drive? I
    > have tried and failed with many so called utilities
    > that allow you to hit F6 and install XP.
    > I was going to try a different route and wanted to know if this was even
    > possible. I can take the SATA drive and
    > connect to it with my desktop via an USB adapter. Could I install XP
    > from the CD on my computer to the SATA
    > drive via an USB Adapter. The drive letter just happens to be J:

    Would not work on a external or usb drive.
    You just have to turn off "native mode" or ahci in your laps bios.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Jumper

    Jumper Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > Jumper wrote:
    >

    >>Can one install XP on my laptop (Gateway) which has a SATA drive? I
    >>have tried and failed with many so called utilities
    >>that allow you to hit F6 and install XP.
    >>I was going to try a different route and wanted to know if this was even
    >>possible. I can take the SATA drive and
    >>connect to it with my desktop via an USB adapter. Could I install XP
    >>from the CD on my computer to the SATA
    >>drive via an USB Adapter. The drive letter just happens to be J:

    > Would not work on a external or usb drive.
    > You just have to turn off "native mode" or ahci in your laps bios.

    The hard drive does not have anything on it right now. How do you use
    the http://www.nliteos.com/
    to slipstream from XP cd when under these conditions?

    Also, the bios does not seem to have anyway to overide.

    Thanks

    Jumper, Nov 25, 2007