SATA drive will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I've built a new AMD64 machine (spec below), I've bought 2 new SATA drives
    (one 150Gb and one 300Gb) and would like to use them instead of IDE drives.
    If I plug the drives into the SATA II connectors (controlled by nForce4 SLI)
    I am able to boot from the XP64 CD, create and format the partition and
    start installing Windows XP as usual, but when it reboots for the first time
    it doesn't then boot from the SATA drive to carry on with the install.
    There is no error (i.e. DISC BOOT FAILURE) it just stops and does nothing.

    If I plug the drives into the SATA connectors (controlled by Sil3114) the
    drives appear in the RAID check upon boot up of the machine but when I boot
    from the XP64 CD it says there are no drives and cannot install.

    I've tried updating the BIOS (now have version F9), I've download, copied
    onto a floppy disk and used, from the F6 Windows install menu, what I think
    are the SATA drives for the board (though there are no SATA Windows CP-64
    bit on the Gigabyte support web site).

    I have no option in BIOS to boot from a SCSI, RAID or SATA drive. Do I need
    to enable something before I have this option? I only have "Bootable Add-in
    Cards" from the Hard drive boot priority list

    Spec here:

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 nForce4
    CPU: Athlon64 3200+
    OS: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    SATA Drive 1: Maxtor 6L300S0 DiamondMax SATA
    SATA Drive 2: Maxtor 6L120M0 SATA

    Is there any other that might help? Any ideas what else I can try?

    Kol
    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Kolin Tregaskes

    John Barnes Guest

    Try doing the install without any drivers at F6. They are not necessary
    for a SATA I install with the nForce4 chipset

    John Barnes, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Kolin Tregaskes

    John Barnes Guest

    Unless you are using RAID, which you did not say.

    John Barnes, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Kolin Tregaskes

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Kolin,

    > I've built a new AMD64 machine (spec below), I've bought 2 new SATA drives
    > (one 150Gb and one 300Gb) and would like to use them instead of IDE
    > drives.

    I have the K8NXP-9 version of the same board and am using the same 300Gb
    drive.

    > it doesn't then boot from the SATA drive to carry on with the install.
    > There is no error (i.e. DISC BOOT FAILURE) it just stops and does nothing.

    I had the same problem when I first tried to install. The solution is fairly
    simple.

    > I've tried updating the BIOS (now have version F9), I've download, copied
    > onto a floppy disk and used, from the F6 Windows install menu, what I
    > think are the SATA drives for the board (though there are no SATA Windows
    > CP-64 bit on the Gigabyte support web site).

    You didn't need to do this. As John has pointed out in another message, SATA
    drivers for the nForce chipset are built in. What you do need to do though
    is to go into the BIOS setup and turn off all the RAID functionality on BOTH
    chipsets before you try installing. You already have it plugged into the
    correct socket (even though its not a SATA II drive).

    You will then find that WinXP x64 will install smoothly. If you want to use
    RAID after that (but you'll need the same size drives of course), you can
    always re-boot and re-enable the RAID on the nForce chipset and then set up
    a RAID1+0 when prompted so that when XP x64 starts up, it will detect and
    install the drivers for the RAID functionality (which are already built in
    aswell).

    Once you have a stable system, you could also then re-enable the Si3114
    chipset if desired but you will need their drivers for that and the only
    drivers are beta drivers on the Giga-byte site as far as I can see...

    > I have no option in BIOS to boot from a SCSI, RAID or SATA drive. Do I
    > need to enable something before I have this option? I only have "Bootable
    > Add-in Cards" from the Hard drive boot priority list

    If you are not using RAID, you don't need to do this but you haven't said
    whether you intend to? So, there are a lot of assumptions in my post.

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Hi John,

    That is what I did first of all, but after reboot it doesn't boot from the
    drives. :-(

    Kol

    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Hi again,

    No, not using RAID, but I'm confused why one type of SATA connection is
    being found at boot up but not during Windows installation and the other
    type of SATA connection is being found in Windows installation but not in
    set-up. And why don't I have the option is BIOS to boot to SCSI, RAID or
    SATA?

    Kol

    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 11, 2005
  7. Hi Colin,

    That did the trick. I disabled IDE/SATA RADIO Function and this greyed out:

    IDE Primary Master RAID
    IDE Primary Slave RAID
    IDE Secondary Master RAID
    IDE Secondary Slave RAID

    SATA 1 Primary RAID
    SATA 1 Secondary RAID

    SATA 2 Primary RAID
    SATA 2 Secondary RAID

    I also disabled SATA/RAID-5 Function

    What I see now in the boot sequence are my two SATA drives but I've had to
    plug them into the SATA I connectors as they were not being detected in the
    SATA II connectors. Why is this?

    There was no option that I could see to superficially disable RAID functions
    on one or both of the 2 controllers.

    OK, so booting is OK and when I try and boot from the drives it comes up
    with an error (meaning it's at least trying now and just needs Windows on
    the drive). So that is good, but now I have a new problem:

    I've switched off the machine (from the back switch) during the day
    yesterday and now have turned it on again. When I boot from the XP CD is
    goes through the usual thing of asking for F6 and then loads up drivers, but
    when it gets to "Setup is stating Windows" on the blue screen it just stops.
    It appears to completely freeze as I cannot even CTRL+ALT+DEL. It started
    doing this before I disabled the RAID functions.

    So, again, I cannot install Windows. :-(

    Any ideas what stopping it here? Have the previous attempts to install
    Windows done something?

    Kol

    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 11, 2005
  8. For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx

    And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
    setup, and why you care:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    HTH
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 11, 2005
  9. see the blog posts on F6 and drivers I posted to your other message in this
    thread. It's all about the difference between text mode setup and GUI mode
    of setup. And getting the right drivers for both.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 11, 2005
  10. Kolin Tregaskes

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Kolin,

    > That did the trick. I disabled IDE/SATA RADIO Function and this greyed
    > out:

    Good

    > SATA 1 Primary RAID
    > SATA 1 Secondary RAID
    >
    > SATA 2 Primary RAID
    > SATA 2 Secondary RAID

    These disable the nForce RAID functionality but SATA is still enabled (SATA
    II)

    > I also disabled SATA/RAID-5 Function

    This disables the Silicon Image Chipset (completely) (this is the SATA I
    sockets)

    > What I see now in the boot sequence are my two SATA drives but I've had to
    > plug them into the SATA I connectors as they were not being detected in
    > the SATA II connectors. Why is this?

    Are you sure? (that you have them in the SATA II sockets). The sockets
    marked SATA0_SII are NOT the SATA II sockets. The SII in this case stands
    for _SI_licon _I_mage and not SATA II(rather confusingly). The ones nearest
    the CMOS battery are the SATA II sockets (the ones I'm using) marked as
    S_ATA0_SB etc etc. Also note that the channels are not in physical order...

    Top to bottom they are:
    S_ATA1_SB
    S_ATA0_SB
    S_ATA3_SB
    S_ATA2_SB

    I have my 300Gb Maxtor in channel 0 which is the second one down.

    > There was no option that I could see to superficially disable RAID
    > functions on one or both of the 2 controllers.

    Actually, it looks like you've already stumbled on that without realising
    it. Since the Silicon Image 3114 chipset is the only one that provides RAID
    5 functionality (see above). When you go into the BIOS, you will note that
    the Enable/Disable applies to the WHOLE chipset....

    > I've switched off the machine (from the back switch) during the day
    > yesterday and now have turned it on again. When I boot from the XP CD is
    > goes through the usual thing of asking for F6 and then loads up drivers,
    > but

    Just to double check, I take it you are NOT responding in any way to the F6
    request? (cause you shouldn't be in this configuration)

    > when it gets to "Setup is stating Windows" on the blue screen it just
    > stops. It appears to completely freeze as I cannot even CTRL+ALT+DEL. It
    > started doing this before I disabled the RAID functions.
    >
    > So, again, I cannot install Windows. :-(
    >
    > Any ideas what stopping it here? Have the previous attempts to install
    > Windows done something?

    Possibly... Other things to check (for me) would be the Video Card (what
    type is it?) and the Memory (what type and how much?)

    I would try a complete fresh install (no response to F6) and then when it
    detects the drives, chose which one and make sure you let the setup routine
    do a complete format (not "quick") and see what happens. I know it takes an
    age to do such a large disc but I found it to be worth it.

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Sep 11, 2005
  11. Hi Colin,

    > Just to double check, I take it you are NOT responding in any way to the
    > F6 request? (cause you shouldn't be in this configuration)

    Nope, not responding to F6 or F2.

    > Possibly... Other things to check (for me) would be the Video Card (what
    > type is it?) and the Memory (what type and how much?)

    XFX 7800GT PCI Express card (256Mb DDR3 Dual DVI VIVO PCI-E)
    4 sticks of DDR400 PC3200 non-ECC Unbuffered CL2,5 Corsair 512Mb RAM

    I've taken everytthing out and put it back in, but still the same problem.
    I've not touched the CPU or it's fan though.

    > I would try a complete fresh install (no response to F6) and then when it
    > detects the drives, chose which one and make sure you let the setup
    > routine do a complete format (not "quick") and see what happens. I know it
    > takes an age to do such a large disc but I found it to be worth it.

    I can't get as far as formating the drives, setup freezes before then.

    > Colin

    Look forward to any more help?

    Kol
    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 11, 2005
  12. Kolin Tregaskes

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Kolin,

    > Nope, not responding to F6 or F2.

    Ok

    > XFX 7800GT PCI Express card (256Mb DDR3 Dual DVI VIVO PCI-E)

    Is that one of the SLi ones?

    > 4 sticks of DDR400 PC3200 non-ECC Unbuffered CL2,5 Corsair 512Mb RAM

    Have you run a memory test on this?

    > I've not touched the CPU or it's fan though.

    Shouldn't really need to I would have thought... You've got past the BIOS
    and it would complain if there was something wrong with that usually...

    > I can't get as far as formating the drives, setup freezes before then.

    Prove out that memory would be my next step...

    Is there anything else plugged in at all to any other ports?

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Sep 11, 2005
  13. Hi Colin,

    > Is that one of the SLi ones?

    Yep.

    > Have you run a memory test on this?

    No, it would have to be a DOS based problem. But if its the memory why have
    they suddenly stop going wrong? I've been further with the Windows install
    than this.

    > Shouldn't really need to I would have thought... You've got past the BIOS
    > and it would complain if there was something wrong with that usually...

    Hope you're right. :)

    > Prove out that memory would be my next step...

    OK, will do this tomorrow

    > Is there anything else plugged in at all to any other ports?

    I unplugged everything that I didn't need, e.g. floppy drive was not
    attached but didn't make any difference.

    Kol
    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 11, 2005
  14. Kolin Tregaskes

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Ok, let's see how the memory test goes. Systems can behave strangely and
    randomly when there are memory issues...

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 11, 2005
  15. Hi there,

    I took out 3 of the 4 sticks, tried it, same problem. I then remove this
    stick on put another one in another slot, tried it, still same problem.
    It's just not going pass that screen.

    One thing I thought of trying was another CD drive and I could also try
    another version of Windows (many folks have Windows XP 32-bit), but a bit
    lost on what else to try. Have e-mailed Gigabyte.

    Kolin Tregaskes, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Kolin Tregaskes

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Kolin,

    Sorry you are having so many problems. Let us know what they say...

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 12, 2005
  17. Changed disk Access Mode to Large from Auto for disk drives > 137 gb.
    Running Norton Ghost the Maxtor 200 gb drive that booted up reported 240
    heads and the other dirves reported 16 heads until Access Mode was changed
    from Auto to Large. Now my 300 gb SATA drive booted up and my other Maxtor
    200 gb dirve booted up also when selected in hard drive boot.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2FsdGVyIFRob21hcw==?=, Sep 14, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbWJlcmxpbg==?=, Sep 16, 2005
  19. Hey there K-C-olins- thank you for asking/replying about this issue... I hope
    I am not hijacking this thread, but I have $3500 worth of new comptuer gear
    sitting here, and I am awaiting the last few components before powering
    things up with x64. This is the first post I found directly related to what I
    fear worst: installing the new OS with the lack of direct native RAID/SATA II
    support (which I find terribly lame).
    At this point I am just looking to do it right the first time, (some quick
    questions at the end of the post tho-), but I promise I will be an active
    player once the power lights up and I start off on this trek.

    The system (which you will see has similarities to you both):

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 nForce4
    CPU: Athlon64 4200+
    OS: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Memory: 2GB CORSAIR DDR 400MHZ PC3200 2048MB (1GB x 2)

    RAID ARRAY #1 "RAID 0" (home for the x64 OS)
    SATA Drive 1: Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA I (ATA150)
    SATA Drive 2: Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA I (ATA150)

    RAID ARRAY #2 "RAID 0" (home for games, files, etc.)
    SATA Drive 3: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB SATA I (ATA150)
    SATA Drive 4: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB SATA I (ATA150)

    Video: BFG TECH GeFORCE 7800 GTX OC 256MB SLi capable
    Audio: SB X-Fi Platinum
    DVD: NEC ND3540A 16X DVD±RW
    Power: Antech TrueControl 550
    Floppy: temporary 1.44MB floppy standing by

    Thanks for pointing out the odd-ordered orange nVidia SATA connectors...
    I had mine just plugged in top to bottom...so knowing my above arrays, how
    should I group them?

    I have downloaded all the gigbyte drivers as Kolin has, and I too noticed
    there are no specific SATA/RAID x64 drivers, but it sounds like that might
    not be an issue?

    I am still perplexed on how I am going to install a clean RAID 0 x64
    install, and I REALLY do not want to do a dual boot set up or anything crazy,
    but I will continue to sift through all the good info here and try to harvest
    more procedures before powering up.

    Thanks
    -C
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhbWJlcmxpbg==?=, Sep 16, 2005
  20. Kolin Tregaskes

    John Barnes Guest

    If you can't find the SATA/RAID drivers you need on the MOBO site, go to the
    Nvidia site and download the latest chipset drivers. You WILL need to F6
    drivers for RAID.

    John Barnes, Sep 16, 2005