    them.

    Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

    , Oct 17, 2005

  2. On 17 Oct 2005 01:48:20 -0700, wrote:

    >I have recently upgraded to a SATA HD and I've noticed that in one
    >situation, it's a lot slower than my IDE drive was.
    >
    >It's when I'm burning multiple DVD's (using Nero) at the same time from
    >files on the HD. With my IDE drive, there wasn't any noticeable
    >difference in duration between burning 2 DVD's simulatenously or just 1
    >DVD, but with the SATA drive it seems to take twice as long when I'm
    >doing 2 DVD's at the same time.
    >
    >My DVD writers are on separate IDE buses so there's no conflict between
    >them.
    >
    >Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

    Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
    saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
    motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

    Stephen Worthington, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Bret Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:56:31 GMT, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

    >On 17 Oct 2005 01:48:20 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>I have recently upgraded to a SATA HD and I've noticed that in one
    >>situation, it's a lot slower than my IDE drive was.
    >>
    >>It's when I'm burning multiple DVD's (using Nero) at the same time from
    >>files on the HD. With my IDE drive, there wasn't any noticeable
    >>difference in duration between burning 2 DVD's simulatenously or just 1
    >>DVD, but with the SATA drive it seems to take twice as long when I'm
    >>doing 2 DVD's at the same time.
    >>
    >>My DVD writers are on separate IDE buses so there's no conflict between
    >>them.
    >>
    >>Any ideas why the difference in duration with the SATA drive?

    >Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
    >saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
    >motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

    Wouldn't it also saturate the PCI buss with an ATA drive?

    Bret, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
    > saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
    > motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

    No the SATA interface is on the motherboard.

    , Oct 18, 2005
  5. AD. Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:17:48 -0700, kriskirk wrote:

    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> Is your SATA interface an add-on PCI card? If so, then you may be
    >> saturating the PCI bandwidth. The IDE interface will be on the
    >> motherboard and bypasses the PCI bandwidth limitations.

    > No the SATA interface is on the motherboard.

    That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't using the PCI bus.

    I'm not up on SATA chipsets (for all I know things are different now -
    corrections welcome), but in the recent past nearly all onboard storage
    adapters still used PCI to connect to the south bridge chipset. One
    exception we had was a dual P3 Tualatin mobo with a ServerWorks chipset -
    the onboard LSI SCSI adapter had a direct chipset connection.

    Note I'm not saying it does use PCI (hey I'm a little out of date with
    hardware), just that just because it is onboard don't automatically assume
    it doesn't use the PCI bus :)

    You'll need to look at your motherboard schematic to be sure.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 18, 2005
  6. Guest

    I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
    that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
    am I looking for?

    , Oct 18, 2005
  7. colinco Guest

    In article says...
    > I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
    > that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
    > am I looking for?

    What MB? Some older boards even fed SATA into bus using an IDE channel.

    colinco, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything
    > that tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What
    > am I looking for?

    Is there a seperate driver needed on installation of windows or does it just work?

    Richard, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    The motherboard is a ASUS P5GD1-VM.

    , Oct 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    It just worked. The manual says that XP SP1 is required for it to work
    though.

    , Oct 18, 2005
  11. AD. Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:41:24 -0700, kriskirk wrote:

    > I checked the manual for the motherboard, but I couldn't see anything that
    > tells me if the SATA interface is using the PCI bus or not. What am I
    > looking for?

    Some sort of schematic layout (rather than the visible layout).

    I had a look at the manual for your board online - but it didn't have the
    diagram you'd need.

    So I looked at a Gigabyte manual (they include these diagrams) for a
    similar board with an Intel 915G chipset.

    The Gigabyte board had both the ATA and SATA channels connected directly
    to the south bridge chip. No apparent sign (from the diagram at least) of
    using the PCI bus.

    So it looks like things have changed :)

    --
    Cheers