    and the XP pro CD says there is no Hard Drive

    If any one can Help
    I'll shout you a Drink Cheers and thanks

    Ockerr, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Ockerr

    Cubzilla Guest

    Maybe you need the driver for the SATA chip ready so XP fully understands
    the hardware, go into the device options and update the driver, did you
    create a drive by going in to the SATA config at startup ?

    Maybe Mike has a FAQ

    sorry Mike ;-)

    Cubzilla, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Ockerr

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:33:44 +0100, Cubzilla wrote:

    >Maybe you need the driver for the SATA chip ready so XP fully understands

    Eventually.

    >the hardware, go into the device options and update the driver, did you
    >create a drive by going in to the SATA config at startup ?
    >
    >Maybe Mike has a FAQ
    >

    >sorry Mike ;-)
    >
    >"Ockerr" <> wrote in message
    >> I have Just built myselp a system using a Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 MB
    >> So I thought I would Try the new SATA drives
    >> So I have a Seagate 120
    >> I have it pluged in okay and my system starts up
    >> But it does not reconise the New sata Drive

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Ockerr

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:13:01 +1300, Ockerr wrote:

    >I have Just built myselp a system using a Gigabyte 7n400 pro2 MB

    This is the board with an optional SATA card, looking at page 8 of the
    manual,
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Download...rBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7n400pro2_e.pdf

    Does the drive power up okay?

    Have you enabled the SATA device?

    See page 55 of the manual (page 51 printed ver.)
    Integrated Peripherals (setup screen)

    Onboard H/W Serial ATA (
    )
    Enabled Enable onboard H/W Serial ATA chip function. (Default Value)
    Disabled Disable this function.
    Serial ATA Function(
    )
    RAID Select onboard serial ATA chip function as RAID. (Default value)
    BASE Select onboard serial ATA chip function as base.

    Maybe you need a BIOS upgrade. Have a look around here
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/ for FAQs / info.

    >So I thought I would Try the new SATA drives
    >So I have a Seagate 120
    >I have it pluged in okay and my system starts up
    >But it does not reconise the New sata Drive

    You should see it listed under the SATA devices (If it's enabled) listed
    at boot time or a new interrupt used at the configuration screen before
    any OS starts.

    >It mentions SECOND BOOT DEVICE but no SATA

    That's the bit at page 49 of the manual (printed pg 45)
    Advanced BIOS Features

    First Boot Device [Floppy]
    Second Boot Device [HDD-0]
    Third Boot Device [CDROM]
    x SATA/RAID/SCSI Boot Order SCSI
    Boot Up Floppy Seek [Disabled]
    Flexible AGP 8X [Auto]
    Init Display First [PCI]

    >In the Bios there is no mention of SATA But there is LS120

    LS120 for 120MB Floppy device.

    why?, Oct 22, 2003

    Majid Bromand, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Ockerr

    Ockerr Guest

    Yes I check'd out those in the Bios
    Done that, But the Seagate is still not Detected
    I Have just found a Old 1,200gig Hd and have installed Xp
    Xp detected it for a second but it just said unknown device and carried on
    with the startup
    But the unknow device hasnt appeared other than that

    The Computer is running Okay at the moment on this old Drive But there is
    hardly any space left
    as its only a small drive.

    My settings in the Bios now are listed below
    But I dont seem to be getting very far

    Thanks for the Help

    ONBOARD H/W 1394
    disabled

    ONBOARD H/W SERIAL ATA
    disable

    SERIAL ATA FUNCTION
    base

    ONBOARD H/W RAID
    disabled

    Ockerr, Oct 23, 2003
  7. "Ockerr" <> wrote in message
    > Yes I check'd out those in the Bios
    > Done that, But the Seagate is still not Detected
    > I Have just found a Old 1,200gig Hd and have installed Xp
    > Xp detected it for a second but it just said unknown device and carried on
    > with the startup
    > But the unknow device hasnt appeared other than that
    >
    > The Computer is running Okay at the moment on this old Drive But there is
    > hardly any space left
    > as its only a small drive.
    >
    > My settings in the Bios now are listed below
    > But I dont seem to be getting very far
    >
    > Thanks for the Help
    >
    > ONBOARD H/W 1394
    > disabled
    >
    > ONBOARD H/W SERIAL ATA
    > disable
    >
    > SERIAL ATA FUNCTION
    > base
    >
    > ONBOARD H/W RAID
    > disabled

    Unless you typed it wrong, the Serial ATA drive (ONBOARD H/W SERIAL ATA
    [disable]) is disabled. You must enable it in the BIOS. That might be your
    problem.

    Wynona Raines, Oct 23, 2003
  8. Ockerr

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:43:34 -0500, Wynona Raines wrote:

    >"Ockerr" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes I check'd out those in the Bios
    >> Done that, But the Seagate is still not Detected
    >> I Have just found a Old 1,200gig Hd and have installed Xp
    >> Xp detected it for a second but it just said unknown device and carried on
    >> with the startup
    >> But the unknow device hasnt appeared other than that
    >>
    >> The Computer is running Okay at the moment on this old Drive But there is
    >> hardly any space left
    >> as its only a small drive.
    >>
    >> My settings in the Bios now are listed below
    >> But I dont seem to be getting very far
    >>
    >> Thanks for the Help
    >>
    >> ONBOARD H/W 1394
    >> disabled
    >>
    >> ONBOARD H/W SERIAL ATA
    >> disable
    >>
    >> SERIAL ATA FUNCTION
    >> base
    >>
    >> ONBOARD H/W RAID
    >> disabled
    >>

    >Unless you typed it wrong, the Serial ATA drive (ONBOARD H/W SERIAL ATA
    >[disable]) is disabled. You must enable it in the BIOS. That might be your
    >problem.

    Thanks for picking that up. I thought maybe the big hints earlier - it's
    in the manual would have helped.

    Me

    why?, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Ockerr

    Ockerr Guest

    Sorry to be a Pain
    But I did have that enabled.
    and the dam thing still isnt detected.
    I did notice that in the Advanced Bios Features I have
    X Sata/Raid/scsi/boot order SATA

    Now that X I feel shouldnt be there, and all that Text is shaded colour
    as if some where there is a problem somewhere else in the Bios and is still
    not enabled But where it is I do not Know, I'm starting to feel like a real
    Ding Bat.

    Ockerr, Oct 23, 2003
  10. Ockerr

    Ockerr Guest

    Its the Pain again, I should tell you that I Downloaded the Seagate setup
    Disk and it detected it straight away and I was able to format it.
    If anyone out there has a Ga 7400 pro2 MB and is using a SATA Hard drive
    I'de appreciate a printout of there Bios setup if its Possible, When I
    bought the MB and checked it out on the Web it was suposed to be all self
    detected, I must be a Dreamer, or quite Dumb
    cheers

    Ockerr, Oct 23, 2003
  11. Ockerr

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:57:22 +1300, Ockerr wrote:

    >Sorry to be a Pain

    Not yet.....

    >But I did have that enabled.

    That was asked earlier?

    >and the dam thing still isnt detected.
    >I did notice that in the Advanced Bios Features I have
    > X Sata/Raid/scsi/boot order SATA
    >
    >Now that X I feel shouldnt be there, and all that Text is shaded colour

    It's the same in the d/l of the manual. That line is in pale blue on the
    BIOS setup screen shot.

    >as if some where there is a problem somewhere else in the Bios and is still
    >not enabled But where it is I do not Know, I'm starting to feel like a real
    >Ding Bat.

    Only if you have not tried in one of these newsgroups

    alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte

    why?, Oct 23, 2003