    will allow them to work off a molex connector??

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris.

    Chris, Jan 1, 2006

  2. Chris

    David Wood Guest

    The problem having a lot of hard disks is a) power consumption b)noise
    c)heat
    I would try to keep the number of drives to a minimum of large ones
    I believe SATA power connector has better power functions instead of the
    crude Molex
    BUT beware of the SATA connectors on HDD they are very easily broken!!
    (horrifying design flaw, IDE/Molex was better)

    David Wood, Jan 1, 2006

  3. Chris

    The Shed Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
    > drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
    > drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
    > ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
    > case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
    > after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
    > in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
    > be in the boot sequence.
    >
    > Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
    >
    > While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
    > is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor
    > will allow them to work off a molex connector??
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chris.

    just add a controller card----gives you another two ide slots-- if you
    shop around you can even make it a raid system---use the same thing ,
    run 5x 250gb drives two writers,one cd drive,one dvd drive ---power
    supply is your limit .

    The Shed, Jan 1, 2006
  4. Chris

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:10:33 +0000, Chris wrote:

    >I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
    >drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
    >drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing

    You can simply, if you have the space and power and free slot. Buy an
    EIDE controller card.
    Like this
    http://www.cdromshop.com/cdshop/img.large/p.704118886210.jpg

    Then there are USB/Firewire external drives.

    >ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
    >case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
    >after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
    >in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
    >be in the boot sequence.
    >
    >Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

    Yes, works fine.

    >While on the subject of SATA drives, does anyone know what the point
    >is of them having a different power connector, when a simple adaptor

    You could find out for yourself in a few minutes,

    >will allow them to work off a molex connector??

    it's been asked before in 24HSHD, although a while ago. You could search
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk or
    www.google.com search for the SATA spec , it's all there.

    If you look at the contacts a few are longer than the others, these IIRC
    are called precharge and ground , basically for making drives hot swap
    was 1 reason.

    why?, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Chris

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Chris <> wrote in

    > I'm rapidly running out of HD space. I already have two IDE hard
    > drives and two optical drives, so I can't simply add another IDE hard
    > drive, and I don't want the hassle of replacing one of the existing
    > ones. My new mobo has SATA connections, though, and I've room in the
    > case, so I was thinking of simply installing a SATA HD. As I'm just
    > after the extra space, I don't want to boot off it, but having looked
    > in the bios, that shouldn't be a problem since the new drive wouldn't
    > be in the boot sequence.
    >
    > Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

    It would have saved _me_ time if I'd checked if there was a jumper on the
    mobo (A7N8X-Deluxe) to enable the SATA controller.
    Get the latest drivers from the mobo manufacturer.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Jan 2, 2006
  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks for the help people... Looks like I should be OK.

    Chris.

    Chris, Jan 2, 2006