    Has anyone had any success with these type of adapter ? Where
    were they sourced ? Is there any chip set requirements that need to be
    met or watched for?

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Mar 25, 2010

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I've tried two sata adapters (IDE to Sata) without success. Both
    > were sourced from TradeMe.
    >
    > Has anyone had any success with these type of adapter ? Where
    > were they sourced ? Is there any chip set requirements that need to be
    > met or watched for?

    I heard bad things about them from the word go so I've always used PCI -
    SATA adapters in older machines and then set them to boot from SCSI in
    BIOS....
    --
    Shaun.

    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

    ~misfit~, Mar 25, 2010

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 26, 1:02 am, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:

    > I heard bad things about them from the word go so I've always used PCI -
    > SATA adapters in older machines and then set them to boot from SCSI in
    > BIOS....

    Yes - Quite often during OS installs it will fail to recognise that
    there is a HDD present, and trying to find a compatible driver has
    been difficult at best.

    I agree that PCI SATA adaptors are the best way to go. Save yourself
    the hassle and do it right first time.

    Simon, Mar 25, 2010
  4. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I've tried two sata adapters (IDE to Sata) without success. Both
    > were sourced from TradeMe.
    >
    > Has anyone had any success with these type of adapter ? Where
    > were they sourced ? Is there any chip set requirements that need to be
    > met or watched for?

    I have one working in my old xbox so I can use a sata hdd in it, works,
    takes ages at boot and will often give me the error screen till I reset
    it.. Did it on all drives occasionally.

    Also needed the drive jumpered down to 150 to work.

    Tried one in a PC but constant IDE errors made it always drop back to
    PIO mode so was worthless.

    Richard, Mar 26, 2010
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> I've tried two sata adapters (IDE to Sata) without success. Both
    >> were sourced from TradeMe.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any success with these type of adapter ? Where
    >> were they sourced ? Is there any chip set requirements that need to
    >> be met or watched for?

    > I have one working in my old xbox so I can use a sata hdd in it,
    > works, takes ages at boot and will often give me the error screen
    > till I reset it.. Did it on all drives occasionally.
    >
    > Also needed the drive jumpered down to 150 to work.
    >
    > Tried one in a PC but constant IDE errors made it always drop back to
    > PIO mode so was worthless.

    Yup, I read about this all over teh intarwebs so instead bought a couple PCI
    SATA controllers from DSE for ~$40 each. They were only SATA I, two ports
    (but going to SATA II on a 33MHz PCI bus would have been silly).

    They worked flawlessly once the BIOS was set to 'boot from SCSI'. They
    handled SATA II drives just fine, didn't need to be jumpered back to SATA I
    and they had the added bonus of an ATA100 PATA interface on the card as
    well.

    I see that they still have them, albeit ~$10 more expensive now ($49.98):
    http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/XH8269
    I didn't ever use the RAID feature, only JBOD but they never let me down. I
    actually used one just for the PATA interface on a machine that had a dead
    on-board IDE controller to good effect too.

    It's possible that you could find similar more cheaply elsewhere but I have
    no experience of any other brand. These I can give 10/10 for ease of use and
    reliability. HDS has [or had] trouble reading all of the SMART data through
    them, perhaps fixed with a later release of HDS? That said, I went years
    without needing to know what HDS tells me so it's not that big a deal.
    --
    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Mar 26, 2010