    Dave

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Dave, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:57:11 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >My board has support for sata, and I would like a sata hdd, however, what I

    The mobo type/brand is?

    >would like to know first is, how do I connect a second ide drive purely just
    >for storage with no os on it, do I just connect as master to the primary

    Format the 2nd IDE and don't install an OS.

    >ide, and will xp rcognise that the sata drive is the primary boot up drive

    You connect a 2nd IDE as a slave (set jumper) to a primary IDE on the
    same cable.

    If you have a PC that uses Cable Select then (jumper set to 'CS') and
    simply plug in the drive, the BIOS sorts it out .

    >even with the ide drive on primary ide channel

    If your BIOS allows booting from SATA fine. If not, mine needs a SATA
    device driver loaded (or I've not RTFM carefully enough) .
    So I do the simple thing, keep a IDE to boot / with the OS and SATA
    RAIDed for storage, due to the faster speed.

    >TIA
    >Dave

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    do you know if the power connections are the same 4 pin as for ide

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    Dave, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Dave

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:35:30 GMT, Dave wrote:

    >do you know if the power connections are the same 4 pin as for ide

    See the other thread you started, you have a couple of answers there.

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2003