    37gb. i also would put games on the 10k rpm drive for faster load times.
    someone also mentioned putting newsbin and the page file on the sata drive
    and install the OS on the ata drive. not sata. however im not sure .
    Diehard, Jan 5, 2004

  2. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in
    news:G43Kb.24258$:

    > storage. does this make sense or should i do it differently? cus what
    > happens i mean is i might download a lot with newsbin and need more
    > then 37gb. i also would put games on the 10k rpm drive for faster load
    > times. someone also mentioned putting newsbin and the page file on the
    > sata drive and install the OS on the ata drive. not sata. however im
    > not sure .

    I wouldn't put the OS on the SATA drive for two reasons:
    A) You will need to install the drivers during the OS installation, and
    needing drivers to access the boot drive can make some things a bitch
    B) You will probably not notice that big a difference in things like the
    boot up times of Windows comparing those two drives. I would put Windows
    and stuff like NewsBin pro and your unrar tools on the ATA drive, and put
    the data those tools work with (ripped DVDs, etc) on the faster drive.
    Again, it is easier to open a 5 MB .exe file from a slower drive and then
    load 2 GB of data from the faster one, than to load the 5 MB .exe from the
    faster drive and wait while the slower drive reads the huge heap of data.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    >
    >> storage. does this make sense or should i do it differently? cus what
    >> happens i mean is i might download a lot with newsbin and need more
    >> then 37gb. i also would put games on the 10k rpm drive for faster
    >> load times. someone also mentioned putting newsbin and the page file
    >> on the sata drive and install the OS on the ata drive. not sata.
    >> however im not sure .
    >>

    > I wouldn't put the OS on the SATA drive for two reasons:
    > A) You will need to install the drivers during the OS installation,
    > and needing drivers to access the boot drive can make some things a
    > bitch
    > B) You will probably not notice that big a difference in things like
    > the boot up times of Windows comparing those two drives. I would put
    > Windows and stuff like NewsBin pro and your unrar tools on the ATA
    > drive, and put the data those tools work with (ripped DVDs, etc) on
    > the faster drive. Again, it is easier to open a 5 MB .exe file from a
    > slower drive and then load 2 GB of data from the faster one, than to
    > load the 5 MB .exe from the faster drive and wait while the slower
    > drive reads the huge heap of data.

    I agree...Data would be the most important thing for speed,
    especially stuff for video editing. I would leave all your rpograms on
    the slower drive, as once they open, they stay in memory anyways, then
    run all my data through the sata drive. This will make ripping,
    encoding, saving and opening much faster, which would be something you
    do more often than opening a program. Plus having the program and data
    on seperate drives would speed things up a little bit as well.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> storage. does this make sense or should i do it differently? cus what
    > >> happens i mean is i might download a lot with newsbin and need more
    > >> then 37gb. i also would put games on the 10k rpm drive for faster
    > >> load times. someone also mentioned putting newsbin and the page file
    > >> on the sata drive and install the OS on the ata drive. not sata.
    > >> however im not sure .
    > >>

    > > I wouldn't put the OS on the SATA drive for two reasons:
    > > A) You will need to install the drivers during the OS installation,
    > > and needing drivers to access the boot drive can make some things a
    > > bitch
    > > B) You will probably not notice that big a difference in things like
    > > the boot up times of Windows comparing those two drives. I would put
    > > Windows and stuff like NewsBin pro and your unrar tools on the ATA
    > > drive, and put the data those tools work with (ripped DVDs, etc) on
    > > the faster drive. Again, it is easier to open a 5 MB .exe file from a
    > > slower drive and then load 2 GB of data from the faster one, than to
    > > load the 5 MB .exe from the faster drive and wait while the slower
    > > drive reads the huge heap of data.

    > I agree...Data would be the most important thing for speed,
    > especially stuff for video editing. I would leave all your rpograms on
    > the slower drive, as once they open, they stay in memory anyways, then
    > run all my data through the sata drive. This will make ripping,
    > encoding, saving and opening much faster, which would be something you
    > do more often than opening a program. Plus having the program and data
    > on seperate drives would speed things up a little bit as well.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    So load my OS on the ata and newsbin pro and the data on the sata? I'll just
    have to see. and winrar and par and par 2 apps on the ata but the data on
    sata? right?
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  5. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    > DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> storage. does this make sense or should i do it differently? cus what
    > >> happens i mean is i might download a lot with newsbin and need more
    > >> then 37gb. i also would put games on the 10k rpm drive for faster
    > >> load times. someone also mentioned putting newsbin and the page file
    > >> on the sata drive and install the OS on the ata drive. not sata.
    > >> however im not sure .
    > >>

    > > I wouldn't put the OS on the SATA drive for two reasons:
    > > A) You will need to install the drivers during the OS installation,
    > > and needing drivers to access the boot drive can make some things a
    > > bitch
    > > B) You will probably not notice that big a difference in things like
    > > the boot up times of Windows comparing those two drives. I would put
    > > Windows and stuff like NewsBin pro and your unrar tools on the ATA
    > > drive, and put the data those tools work with (ripped DVDs, etc) on
    > > the faster drive. Again, it is easier to open a 5 MB .exe file from a
    > > slower drive and then load 2 GB of data from the faster one, than to
    > > load the 5 MB .exe from the faster drive and wait while the slower
    > > drive reads the huge heap of data.

    > I agree...Data would be the most important thing for speed,
    > especially stuff for video editing. I would leave all your rpograms on
    > the slower drive, as once they open, they stay in memory anyways, then
    > run all my data through the sata drive. This will make ripping,
    > encoding, saving and opening much faster, which would be something you
    > do more often than opening a program. Plus having the program and data
    > on seperate drives would speed things up a little bit as well.
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    wouldn't i want to have games on the sata as well? for faster load times?
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  6. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> DeMoN LaG wrote:
    >>> "Diehard" <> wrote in

    >>> I wouldn't put the OS on the SATA drive for two reasons:
    >>> A) You will need to install the drivers during the OS installation,
    >>> and needing drivers to access the boot drive can make some things a
    >>> bitch
    >>> B) You will probably not notice that big a difference in things like
    >>> the boot up times of Windows comparing those two drives. I would
    >>> put Windows and stuff like NewsBin pro and your unrar tools on the
    >>> ATA drive, and put the data those tools work with (ripped DVDs,
    >>> etc) on the faster drive. Again, it is easier to open a 5 MB .exe
    >>> file from a slower drive and then load 2 GB of data from the faster
    >>> one, than to load the 5 MB .exe from the faster drive and wait
    >>> while the slower drive reads the huge heap of data.

    >> I agree...Data would be the most important thing for speed,
    >> especially stuff for video editing. I would leave all your rpograms
    >> on the slower drive, as once they open, they stay in memory anyways,
    >> then run all my data through the sata drive. This will make ripping,
    >> encoding, saving and opening much faster, which would be something
    >> you do more often than opening a program. Plus having the program
    >> and data on seperate drives would speed things up a little bit as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > wouldn't i want to have games on the sata as well? for faster load
    > times?

    Yeah most your rpograms would be fine on the ata, even newsbin, if it
    allows you to change where you download your files TO. As for
    games...you'll probably get faster load times on the sata, so it might
    be good for that. I would suggest having a seperate partition for the
    data and the games though. Your running out of space quick though, what
    with only 36 GB with games AND videos (which get quite large [about 10
    gigs an hour]).

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    > Diehard wrote:
    > > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    > >> I agree...Data would be the most important thing for speed,
    > >> especially stuff for video editing. I would leave all your rpograms
    > >> on the slower drive, as once they open, they stay in memory anyways,
    > >> then run all my data through the sata drive. This will make ripping,
    > >> encoding, saving and opening much faster, which would be something
    > >> you do more often than opening a program. Plus having the program
    > >> and data on seperate drives would speed things up a little bit as
    > >> well.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Night_Seer
    > >>

    > > wouldn't i want to have games on the sata as well? for faster load
    > > times?

    > Yeah most your rpograms would be fine on the ata, even newsbin, if it
    > allows you to change where you download your files TO. As for
    > games...you'll probably get faster load times on the sata, so it might
    > be good for that. I would suggest having a seperate partition for the
    > data and the games though. Your running out of space quick though, what
    > with only 36 GB with games AND videos (which get quite large [about 10
    > gigs an hour]).
    >
    > --
    > Night_Seer

    what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and downloading
    stuff from usenet.
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in news:2KpKb.11241$6B.7420
    @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and downloading
    > stuff from usenet.

    Apparently downloading a DVD from Usenet (not questioning the legality of
    what you do) is not a video?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 6, 2004
  9. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns94686BADBF7Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in news:2KpKb.11241$6B.7420
    > @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and downloading
    > > stuff from usenet.
    > >

    > Apparently downloading a DVD from Usenet (not questioning the legality of
    > what you do) is not a video?
    >
    > --

    i never said i would download dvds.
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  10. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in news:gytKb.28131$IM3.15924
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > i never said i would download dvds.

    In:
    You mention using DVD2One and ripping DVDs. DVDs are videos. DVDs take up
    lots of space. Are you now /not/ using this PC for that purpose, or what?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 6, 2004
  11. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Diehard wrote:
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> wouldn't i want to have games on the sata as well? for faster load
    >>> times?

    >> Yeah most your rpograms would be fine on the ata, even newsbin, if it
    >> allows you to change where you download your files TO. As for
    >> games...you'll probably get faster load times on the sata, so it
    >> might be good for that. I would suggest having a seperate partition
    >> for the data and the games though. Your running out of space quick
    >> though, what with only 36 GB with games AND videos (which get quite
    >> large [about 10 gigs an hour]).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and
    > downloading stuff from usenet.

    oops, I think I got you confused with another poster asking about that
    same drive...sorry.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  12. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >> Diehard wrote:
    >>> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> wouldn't i want to have games on the sata as well? for faster load
    >>> times?

    >> Yeah most your rpograms would be fine on the ata, even newsbin, if it
    >> allows you to change where you download your files TO. As for
    >> games...you'll probably get faster load times on the sata, so it
    >> might be good for that. I would suggest having a seperate partition
    >> for the data and the games though. Your running out of space quick
    >> though, what with only 36 GB with games AND videos (which get quite
    >> large [about 10 gigs an hour]).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer
    >>

    > what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and
    > downloading stuff from usenet.

    Wait nevermind you specifically said DVD ripping with DVD2one...this
    needs speed baby...THAT'S VIDEO!

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  13. Diehard

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in news:gytKb.28131$IM3.15924
    > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    > > i never said i would download dvds.
    > >

    > In:
    > You mention using DVD2One and ripping DVDs. DVDs are videos. DVDs take

    up
    > lots of space. Are you now /not/ using this PC for that purpose, or what?
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    i know this, but dvd2one is not used for movies you download. i back up my
    dvd's and for my uncle his dvd collection i back up as well, that's called
    ripping.
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  14. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in news:gytKb.28131$IM3.15924
    > @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >
    >> i never said i would download dvds.
    >>

    > In:
    > You mention using DVD2One and ripping DVDs. DVDs are videos. DVDs
    > take up lots of space. Are you now /not/ using this PC for that
    > purpose, or what?

    Yes that's what I was referring too. Ripping a DVD is gonna be around
    4.5 gigs, and twice that for dual layered DVD's, around 9 gigs. It
    might be temp, but I know games take up a LOT of space on my computer.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  15. Diehard wrote:

    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Diehard" <> wrote in news:gytKb.28131$IM3.15924
    >>@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:
    >>

    >>>i never said i would download dvds.
    >>>

    >>In:
    >>You mention using DVD2One and ripping DVDs. DVDs are videos. DVDs take

    > up
    >
    >>lots of space. Are you now /not/ using this PC for that purpose, or what?
    >>
    >>--
    >>AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >>email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >>website: under construction
    >>Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >>email/IM for rates/services

    > i know this, but dvd2one is not used for movies you download. i back up my
    > dvd's and for my uncle his dvd collection i back up as well, that's called
    > ripping.

    I think you mean that dvd2one is not *solely* used for movies you
    download-it can be and, I believe, Demon was asking whether or not
    that's what *you* would be using it for. Apparently the answer is no.
    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 6, 2004
  16. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message
    > Diehard wrote:
    >
    > > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>"Diehard" <> wrote in news:gytKb.28131$IM3.15924
    > >>@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > >>In:
    > >>You mention using DVD2One and ripping DVDs. DVDs are videos. DVDs take

    > > up
    > >
    > >>lots of space. Are you now /not/ using this PC for that purpose, or

    what?

    > >>--
    > >>AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > >>email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > >>website: under construction
    > >>Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    > >>email/IM for rates/services

    > > i know this, but dvd2one is not used for movies you download. i back up

    my
    > > dvd's and for my uncle his dvd collection i back up as well, that's

    called
    > > ripping.
    > >

    > I think you mean that dvd2one is not *solely* used for movies you
    > download-it can be and, I believe, Demon was asking whether or not
    > that's what *you* would be using it for. Apparently the answer is no.

    I thot dvd2one would be used only for actual dvd cus that is what it does,
    it compresses to make a dual layer dvd fit on one dvd. so i thot why would
    anyone use it on a downloaded dvd image? that's all i was thinking. But no,
    i am not going to use it for downloading movies like that, only for taking
    my dvd's here and backing them up and my uncles to put on dvdr for him. so i
    would put the data on the sata then? and dvd2one would go on the ata?
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004
  17. Diehard

    Night_Seer Guest

    Diehard wrote:
    > "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message
    >> Diehard wrote:
    >>
    >>> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

    >>> up

    >>> i know this, but dvd2one is not used for movies you download. i
    >>> back up my dvd's and for my uncle his dvd collection i back up as
    >>> well, that's called ripping.
    >>>

    >> I think you mean that dvd2one is not *solely* used for movies you
    >> download-it can be and, I believe, Demon was asking whether or not
    >> that's what *you* would be using it for. Apparently the answer is no.
    >>

    > I thot dvd2one would be used only for actual dvd cus that is what it
    > does, it compresses to make a dual layer dvd fit on one dvd. so i
    > thot why would anyone use it on a downloaded dvd image? that's all i
    > was thinking. But no, i am not going to use it for downloading movies
    > like that, only for taking my dvd's here and backing them up and my
    > uncles to put on dvdr for him. so i would put the data on the sata
    > then? and dvd2one would go on the ata?

    See there, then that means the dual layer DVD will need to be
    RE-ENCODED, which is basically like working on videos. So you would put
    the program on the ATA, and RE-ENCODE them on the SATA.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 6, 2004
  18. Diehard wrote:

    > "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Diehard wrote:
    >>

    >>>"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message

    >>>up

    > what?

    >>>i know this, but dvd2one is not used for movies you download. i back up

    > my
    >
    >>>dvd's and for my uncle his dvd collection i back up as well, that's

    > called
    >
    >>>ripping.
    >>>

    >>I think you mean that dvd2one is not *solely* used for movies you
    >>download-it can be and, I believe, Demon was asking whether or not
    >>that's what *you* would be using it for. Apparently the answer is no.
    >>

    > I thot dvd2one would be used only for actual dvd cus that is what it does,
    > it compresses to make a dual layer dvd fit on one dvd. so i thot why would
    > anyone use it on a downloaded dvd image? that's all i was thinking. But no,
    > i am not going to use it for downloading movies like that, only for taking
    > my dvd's here and backing them up and my uncles to put on dvdr for him. so i
    > would put the data on the sata then? and dvd2one would go on the ata?

    Well you've still got the space issue-how much space do you anticipate
    will be needed on the SATA drive by the backed up DVD's? In terms of
    space it doesn't matter a great deal where the DVD image comes from,
    what matters is where it's being stored. Personally, if I wanted to make
    a backup of a DVD I'd only use the HD temporarily. I'd back it up to the
    HD then archive the backup onto some offline media. Maybe tape, maybe
    another DVD. Depending on the media I might archive them singly or in
    batches-and that decision would determine how much HD space I'd allocate
    for holding the DVD backups.
    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 6, 2004
  19. Diehard

    Snake Guest

    On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:46:46 -0800, "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail
    dot com> wrote:
    a sentient being crawled to its computer accessed the usenet and
    stammered
    >Diehard wrote:
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah most your rpograms would be fine on the ata, even newsbin, if it
    >>> allows you to change where you download your files TO. As for
    >>> games...you'll probably get faster load times on the sata, so it
    >>> might be good for that. I would suggest having a seperate partition
    >>> for the data and the games though. Your running out of space quick
    >>> though, what with only 36 GB with games AND videos (which get quite
    >>> large [about 10 gigs an hour]).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Night_Seer
    >>>

    >> what are u talking about videos? this pc only for games and
    >> downloading stuff from usenet.

    >Wait nevermind you specifically said DVD ripping with DVD2one...this
    >needs speed baby...THAT'S VIDEO!

    Plus lots of temp space for a 9 gig dual sided dvd .
    Snake

    Do not respond by e-mail
    only reply to group

    Snake, Jan 6, 2004
  20. Diehard

    > Diehard wrote:
    >
    > > "Calvin Crumrine" <> wrote in message

    take

    > > what?

    > > my

    > > called

    > >>I think you mean that dvd2one is not *solely* used for movies you
    > >>download-it can be and, I believe, Demon was asking whether or not
    > >>that's what *you* would be using it for. Apparently the answer is no.
    > >>

    > > I thot dvd2one would be used only for actual dvd cus that is what it

    does,
    > > it compresses to make a dual layer dvd fit on one dvd. so i thot why

    would
    > > anyone use it on a downloaded dvd image? that's all i was thinking. But

    no,
    > > i am not going to use it for downloading movies like that, only for

    taking
    > > my dvd's here and backing them up and my uncles to put on dvdr for him.

    so i
    > > would put the data on the sata then? and dvd2one would go on the ata?
    > >

    > Well you've still got the space issue-how much space do you anticipate
    > will be needed on the SATA drive by the backed up DVD's? In terms of
    > space it doesn't matter a great deal where the DVD image comes from,
    > what matters is where it's being stored. Personally, if I wanted to make
    > a backup of a DVD I'd only use the HD temporarily. I'd back it up to the
    > HD then archive the backup onto some offline media. Maybe tape, maybe
    > another DVD. Depending on the media I might archive them singly or in
    > batches-and that decision would determine how much HD space I'd allocate
    > for holding the DVD backups.

    Yeah the back up is only as long as it takes to burn the disc. then it's
    gone. so sata would be good to have the dvd data, but the normal ata can
    have the program? that makes sense i guess.i wish i could have afforded scsi
    cus then i would have gotten 70gb hard drive scsi 160 or 320, btu that might
    be pushing $500 for the drive, :( anyhow this sata yeah, i guess i should
    put the OS on the normal ata and data on sata, so long as i don't run out
    while downloading usenet stuff. i just gotta make sure i cut and paste from
    sata to ata when i need space. maybe sometime later I'll get a couple more
    sata 10k rpm drives and raid all 3 drives or something to look like one big
    drive.
    Diehard, Jan 6, 2004