    Be greatful for any help given!

    Regards.

    Defiant1

    defiant1, Jan 2, 2006

  2. defiant1

    Unk Guest

    On 2 Jan 2006 07:56:09 -0800, "defiant1" <> wrote:

    >Hi all, am having some problems after installing Norton INternet
    >Security 2006. Basically since installation my lpatop is prone to
    >crashing. It just normally stops dead and shuts down. All my virus
    >definitions and MS security patches are upto date. Also performed a
    >full system scan and no infection has been found.
    >
    >What convinces me it could be Sasser is that when it crashes and shuts
    >down, when I go to reboot i get an error message which points to the
    >lsass.exe file. OR not enough system resources to load the API.
    >
    >Be greatful for any help given!
    >
    >Regards.
    >
    >Defiant1

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    Change this restart behavior:
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and
    Recovery window. In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 53 known viruses and trojans and repair them. You don't need
    McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
    Direct Download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stng259.exe

    You should run it in the safe mode.
    Restart the computer. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.

    A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222

    Unk, Jan 3, 2006

  3. defiant1

    Tony B Guest

    On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:56:09 -0800, defiant1 wrote:

    > Hi all, am having some problems after installing Norton INternet Security
    > 2006. Basically since installation my lpatop is prone to crashing. It just
    > normally stops dead and shuts down. All my virus definitions and MS
    > security patches are upto date. Also performed a full system scan and no
    > infection has been found.
    >
    > What convinces me it could be Sasser is that when it crashes and shuts
    > down, when I go to reboot i get an error message which points to the
    > lsass.exe file. OR not enough system resources to load the API.
    >
    > Be greatful for any help given!
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Defiant1

    Do a search for lsass.exe and if it is located in the c:\windows\System32
    folder, then you don't have a virus. If it is found elsewhere then there
    is a probability that you have a virus.

    It is probably Norton causing the problem. Norton uses a lot of resources
    and system slow down and crashing is a common symptom of using Norton.
    Strongly suggest you uninstall it and use anti-virus such as Avast or AVG
    and a firewall such as Zonealarm.

    Tony B, Jan 3, 2006