    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"
    Alasdair Baxter, May 2, 2004

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    Ionizer Guest

    "Alasdair Baxter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am running Windows 2000.
    >
    > Having read about the Sasser Worm, I decided to download and install
    > the patch from Microsoft -- KB841720 -- ENU.exe.
    >
    > When I try to install it, I get the following message. "This update
    > requires MS04-11 to be installed. Please visit Windows Update
    > (www.windowsupdate.com) to download the latest critical update before
    > installing this package."
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Service Pack 4, shut down and restarted the
    > PC but I still get the same message when I try to install KB841720 --
    > ENU.exe.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?

    This is MS04-11:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

    In the meantime, as long as you have your firewall active you *should* be
    safe from the Sasser worm:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, May 2, 2004

  3. Alasdair Baxter

    Sultan Guest

    Alasdair Baxter wrote in news::

    > I am running Windows 2000.
    >
    > Having read about the Sasser Worm, I decided to download and install
    > the patch from Microsoft -- KB841720 -- ENU.exe.
    >
    > When I try to install it, I get the following message. "This update
    > requires MS04-11 to be installed. Please visit Windows Update
    > (www.windowsupdate.com) to download the latest critical update before
    > installing this package."
    >
    > I downloaded and installed Service Pack 4, shut down and restarted the
    > PC but I still get the same message when I try to install KB841720 --
    > ENU.exe.
    >
    > Any suggestions anyone?
    > --

    Run Windows Update and install ALL critical updates it finds, reboot and
    then check again. Don't stop until you have ALL critical updates
    installed on your system.

    Sultan
    Sultan, May 2, 2004
  4. On Sun, 2 May 2004 18:55:37 -0400, "Ionizer" <> wrote:

    >This is MS04-11:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

    Thanks for the info. All is now fixed -- well, just about.

    Alasdair Baxter, May 3, 2004