Sapphire X1950 Pro on Server 2008 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Chris M, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Hi all,

    I have recently upgraded my machine to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
    x64 edition.

    I have a Sapphire X1950 Pro graphics card and I downloaded the latest
    Vista x64 drivers for it. They installed fine, but the video performance
    leaves a little to be desired! It's as if the hardware acceleration has
    been turned down a little.

    With the driver installed, the hardware acceleration options are greyed
    out so I can't check them.

    I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling them with Catalyst 8.8
    but after doing that I couldn't even launch the Catalyst Control Center.
    I tried an older version of CCC+Drivers (version 7.7 I think) and that
    installed and ran fine, but still has the problem with poor performance.

    As it stands, the video performance is actually better when using the
    generic VGA driver, but the quality is not as good.

    Any advice? I haven't tested the same thing on Vista x64 so I'm not sure
    if it's a Server 2008 x64 specific problem or not.

    Cheers,

    --
    Chris M.

    Remove pants to email me.
    Chris M, Aug 29, 2008

  2. You may need to be running elevated to make any changes.

    Also, keep in mind that Servers don't really use high end video cards. My
    servers top out at 32mb of video RAM. ;)

    You might try installing the "Desktop Experience" feature if you haven't
    already.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2008

  3. Also, is there a chance the XP x64 driver would perform better than the
    Vista driver, for the server?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2008
  4. I think there's enough difference in the drivers that the XP
    x64 drivers probably won't even install on Vista. If you
    look at the ATI site the files sizes are different and I
    think they're entirely different software.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Only, I was thinking that XP x64 being a Server derived OS and not sure
    Vista is (while S 2k8 still could have inherited the new driver
    architecture?) it might be worth considering?

    Tony. . .

    "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > I think there's enough difference in the drivers that the XP
    > x64 drivers probably won't even install on Vista. If you
    > look at the ATI site the files sizes are different and I
    > think they're entirely different software.
    >

    > Tony Sperling wrote:
    > > Also, is there a chance the XP x64 driver would perform better than the
    > > Vista driver, for the server?
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2008
  6. Except, supposedly Server 2008 and Vista share the same
    base, version 6.0, like Server 2003 and XP x64 did, version 5.2.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 29, 2008
  7. P.S.

    This link indicates Vista and Server 2008 may be closely
    related for drivers:

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Additionally look at what this link has to say about Server
    2008 with a nVidia card:

    http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...5/enabling-flip3d-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 29, 2008
  9. Yes, I thought it might - but I didn't know if it did, and it should take me
    a while to read enough before I'm convinced, I believe.

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2008
  10. Vista and Server 2k8 are the same code base. Vista SP1 is build 6001. Server
    2k8 is build 6001.

    There are differences, obviously, but the underlying code base is the same.
    The code base between XP x64 and Server 2k8 is NOT the same, and _if_ a
    driver will work, it will not be optimized at best.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2008
  11. Thank you! Saves me reading more than I would otherwise need, perhaps?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2008
  12. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Chris M wrote:
    > I have a Sapphire X1950 Pro graphics card and I downloaded the latest
    > Vista x64 drivers for it. They installed fine, but the video performance
    > leaves a little to be desired! It's as if the hardware acceleration has
    > been turned down a little.
    >
    > With the driver installed, the hardware acceleration options are greyed
    > out so I can't check them.
    >
    > I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling them with Catalyst 8.8
    > but after doing that I couldn't even launch the Catalyst Control Center.
    > I tried an older version of CCC+Drivers (version 7.7 I think) and that
    > installed and ran fine, but still has the problem with poor performance.

    Just a follow up on this.

    I found the source of the problem - Hyper-V was installed.

    As soon as I removed it, it was like a different machine. I suppose it's
    to be expected since with Hyper-V installed even the root partition
    talks to the hardware via the Hypervisor.

    I guess I'll just use Virtual PC if I need to virtualise anything.

    Cheers,

    Chris.
    Chris M, Sep 22, 2008