SanDisk

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DWACON, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. DWACON

    DWACON Guest

    I was using a 512mb Sandisk chip in my MPIO MP3 player. When I went to
    erase it to add a new playlist, the MPIO software went TANGO UNIFORM.
    Repeated attempts at using it failed and I assumed maybe it was the
    oft-buggy MPIO interface.

    I pulled it and put it into my Motorola MP3 player and it showed as only
    having 1k free space in the utility and it refused to format. It seemed to
    be able to play the music that was on it, but I couldn't seem to use the
    Motorola utility to modify the data.

    I pulled it and put it into a USB adapter and tried to view it on my PC. I
    could not seem to be able to format it or to view the contents. And in case
    you're wondering -- I did check to ensure that the lock switch was not
    flipped... and the contact leads didn't seem to be scratched or covered with
    anything.

    I put it into my Palm Pilot and it was able to read the disk file structure
    (but not files). However, I couldn't format or erase anything.

    Finally... I put it into my HP laptop which has a built-in port for this
    type chip. The laptop slowed to a crawl and would barely function until I
    pulled it out.

    I am out of ideas what to do... except perhaps to just pitch the frazzling
    thing into my fireplace and torch it. Is this a lost cause?

    I noticed an on-line sale for 2.0gb Sandisk for $20... but unfortunately the
    sale was over when I went to the site. I suppose I will eventually find a
    deal... but the question is, will I risk a mysterious shutdown and loss of
    my data? Are there any utilities that might provide access to an obviously
    corrupted Sandisk?

    TIA

    --
    dwacon
    www.dwacon.com

    DWACON, Jul 11, 2006

  2. DWACON

    SgtMinor Guest

    DWACON wrote:

    > I was using a 512mb Sandisk chip in my MPIO MP3 player. When I went to
    > erase it to add a new playlist, the MPIO software went TANGO UNIFORM.
    > Repeated attempts at using it failed and I assumed maybe it was the
    > oft-buggy MPIO interface.
    >
    > I pulled it and put it into my Motorola MP3 player and it showed as only
    > having 1k free space in the utility and it refused to format. It seemed to
    > be able to play the music that was on it, but I couldn't seem to use the
    > Motorola utility to modify the data.
    >
    > I pulled it and put it into a USB adapter and tried to view it on my PC. I
    > could not seem to be able to format it or to view the contents. And in case
    > you're wondering -- I did check to ensure that the lock switch was not
    > flipped... and the contact leads didn't seem to be scratched or covered with
    > anything.
    >
    > I put it into my Palm Pilot and it was able to read the disk file structure
    > (but not files). However, I couldn't format or erase anything.
    >
    > Finally... I put it into my HP laptop which has a built-in port for this
    > type chip. The laptop slowed to a crawl and would barely function until I
    > pulled it out.
    >
    > I am out of ideas what to do... except perhaps to just pitch the frazzling
    > thing into my fireplace and torch it. Is this a lost cause?
    >
    > I noticed an on-line sale for 2.0gb Sandisk for $20... but unfortunately the
    > sale was over when I went to the site. I suppose I will eventually find a
    > deal... but the question is, will I risk a mysterious shutdown and loss of
    > my data? Are there any utilities that might provide access to an obviously
    > corrupted Sandisk?
    >
    > TIA

    Try PCInspector, freeware:
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm