    PTRAVEL Guest

    I'm trying to decide between a Sandisk 1G card and an IBM 1g Microdrive for
    my soon-to-be-purchased Canon 10d. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    PTRAVEL, Jul 24, 2003

  2. PTRAVEL

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    news:bfp4l9$h8ipf$-berlin.de...
    > I'm trying to decide between a Sandisk 1G card and an IBM 1g Microdrive

    for
    > my soon-to-be-purchased Canon 10d. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    There is less to go wrong in a solid state device (even though the
    microdrives appear pretty reliable from reports here). Whats the price
    difference?

    --
    Tumbleweed

    newsgroups)
    Tumbleweed, Jul 24, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    Weng Leong Guest

    PTRAVEL wrote:
    > I'm trying to decide between a Sandisk 1G card and an IBM 1g
    > Microdrive for my soon-to-be-purchased Canon 10d. Any suggestions
    > would be welcome.

    I don't recommend the Microdrive. I had one (340MB) which died in my PDA
    after a couple of months and I didn't even drop it or anything. Just last
    week, I was at a photo shop buying a camera and overheard another customer
    complaining that 2 of his 1GB Microdrives had died, and he was looking for
    more reliable alternatives. When one of these dies, you can hear it make
    rachetty/clickety sounds.

    I dunno how good Sandisk is in terms of write speed; you may want to get a
    CF card with high write speeds e.g. those from Ridata, so as to reduce the
    wait time for writing to storage after taking a large number of photos at
    high rate (which might exceed your camera's internal buffer).
    Weng Leong, Jul 27, 2003
  4. PTRAVEL

    Andrew Guest

    Weng Leong <> wrote:
    : PTRAVEL wrote:
    :> I'm trying to decide between a Sandisk 1G card and an IBM 1g
    :> Microdrive for my soon-to-be-purchased Canon 10d. Any suggestions
    :> would be welcome.

    : I don't recommend the Microdrive. I had one (340MB) which died in my PDA
    : after a couple of months and I didn't even drop it or anything. Just last
    : week, I was at a photo shop buying a camera and overheard another customer
    : complaining that 2 of his 1GB Microdrives had died, and he was looking for
    : more reliable alternatives.

    I ran into a guy in Europe with his Canon D30 who told me two
    different flash cards of his have died - causing him to lose pictures.
    So should I avoid flash cards now? Or should I accept that all
    electronic storage devices (flash or microdrive) have the chance of
    failure?

    My three microdrives have never failed me in the almost-two years I've
    used them.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----