    Any input will be appreciated.
    TIA
    Don F

    Don F, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Don F

    Lung Fish Guest

    "Don F" <> wrote in news:unvkc.5159$pJ1.3590@lakeread02:

    > I am waiting for the D70 to be available at B&H. The 512 MB Sandisk
    > Ultra
    > II CF cards (good price) are presently out-pf-stock so I am
    > considering an alternative.
    > Any input will be appreciated.
    > TIA
    > Don F

    I have a D70 and picked up a Lexar 2GB 40x card. I went to Lexar over
    Sandisk because I have had some issues with Sandisk cards in the past and
    my local store even stopped carrying them due to quality control issues.

    I was also considering a 4GB Hitachi microdrive, but the potential for a
    drive failure is just too high.

    So, what I am really trying to contribute is that you should consider
    quality as well as speed.

    Lung Fish, Apr 30, 2004

  3. "Lung Fish" <> wrote in message
    > "Don F" <> wrote in news:unvkc.5159$pJ1.3590@lakeread02:
    >
    > > I am waiting for the D70 to be available at B&H. The 512 MB Sandisk
    > > Ultra
    > > II CF cards (good price) are presently out-pf-stock so I am
    > > considering an alternative.
    > > Any input will be appreciated.
    > > TIA
    > > Don F

    > I have a D70 and picked up a Lexar 2GB 40x card. I went to Lexar over
    > Sandisk because I have had some issues with Sandisk cards in the past and
    > my local store even stopped carrying them due to quality control issues.

    Agreed. This group has been littered with sandisk complaints (and some
    praises) over the last couple years so I never even considered using them.
    Never had or heard of a problem with Lexar.

    this old user, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Don F

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:

    > I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
    > cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
    > years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

    Have a look here:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816

    For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
    the company survey page:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=6007-6013

    To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.

    I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
    the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
    surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
    card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
    cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
    friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

    I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
    with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
    models of Palm PDA.

    --
    Jose Marques

    Jose Marques, May 4, 2004
  5. Don F

    Don F Guest

    "Jose Marques" <> wrote in message
    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816
    > For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
    > the company survey page:
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=6007-6013
    > To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.
    > I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
    > the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
    > surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
    > card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
    > cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
    > friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

    > I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
    > with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
    > models of Palm PDA.
    >
    > --
    > Jose Marques

    -------------------------------
    Thanks, Jose, for the reply and the great links. Although the first link
    shows that the Sandisk is ~2X faster than the Lexar the warranty claim
    method (second link) for the Sandisk is a not very practical for most of us
    who buy on-line. On-line retailers do not usually get involved with
    warranty claims.
    I wonder if the slower speeds with the Lexar is because of the USB enabled
    function. (I don't know if the Sandisk is USB enabled.)
    Don F

    Don F, May 4, 2004
  6. > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:

    >> I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
    >> cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
    >> years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

    I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
    about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn

    Richard Cockburn, May 4, 2004
  7. Don F

    NightStar Guest

    On 4 May 2004 14:59:07 GMT, Richard Cockburn
    <> wrote:

    >> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Don F wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have read conflicting reviews and reports regarding which of these
    >>> cards is the better choice. I read that Lexar won a court case (several
    >>> years ago) against Sandisk for listing unsupported speed claims.

    >I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
    >about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

    Has anyone had any experience with Integral I-Pro cards? I have a 1GB
    40x card for my PDA which I'm contemplating about using when I get my
    D70. I've never experienced any problems with the card in my PDA.

    N*

    NightStar, May 13, 2004
  8. Don F

    ThomasH Guest

    Don F wrote:

    > "Jose Marques" <> wrote in message
    > > Have a look here:
    > > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816
    > > For CF card speed tests performed with a D70. It's also worth looking at
    > > the company survey page:
    > > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=6007-6013
    > > To get an idea of how the manufacturer backs up their products.
    > > I just got myself a D70 and bought two Lexar 512MB 40x WA cards (one of
    > > the models that Nikon recommend in the manual). I was pleasantly
    > > surprised to find that each card comes with recovery software and a USB
    > > card reader. The reader is only USB1 (and only works with "USB enabled)
    > > cards) but it proved useful when I needed to download some images onto a
    > > friend's PC that didn't have firewire (my other CF reader is firewire).

    > > I never even considered Sandisk due to a previous bad experience I had
    > > with their SD products, their 256MB cards perform very badly in some
    > > models of Palm PDA.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jose Marques

    > -------------------------------
    > Thanks, Jose, for the reply and the great links. Although the first link
    > shows that the Sandisk is ~2X faster than the Lexar the warranty claim
    > method (second link) for the Sandisk is a not very practical for most of us
    > who buy on-line. On-line retailers do not usually get involved with
    > warranty claims.

    Because Sandisk has released recently a new product series.
    Lexar is expected to follow with their 80x cards by end of
    the month. Seemingly Lexar cost more but also the quality
    and reliability of these cards is superb (concluding from
    the number of positive/negative voices in archives of
    this group.) Since the card is supposed to hold for a while,
    my pick is also Lexar over Sandisk!

    Thomas

    ThomasH, May 13, 2004
  9. Don F

    NightStar Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 10:47:11 GMT, NightStar <> wrote:

    >On 4 May 2004 14:59:07 GMT, Richard Cockburn
    ><> wrote:

    >>I've had good results with both of those brands for my EOS 10D. BEWARE
    >>about Viking cards, they tend to lose your photos without warning.

    >Has anyone had any experience with Integral I-Pro cards? I have a 1GB
    >40x card for my PDA which I'm contemplating about using when I get my
    >D70. I've never experienced any problems with the card in my PDA.
    >
    > N*

    I finally got an email back confirming that the I-Pro card works just
    fine with the D70! :) (That's good, as it's the cheapest 1GB card I
    was able to find at the 40x speed!).

    Tony.

    NightStar, May 15, 2004
  10. Don F

    ThomasH Guest

    KOdak names Lexar an exclusive card provider. Re: Sandisk or Lexar CFfor Nikon D70

    An additional news has been published today on the markets:
    Kodak made its choice and decided uo use Lexar's flashcards
    as their exclusive provider. This choice base on reliability
    of Lexar's products.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, May 17, 2004
  11. Don F

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: KOdak names Lexar an exclusive card provider. Re: Sandisk orLexar CF for Nikon D70

    ThomasH wrote:
    > An additional news has been published today on the markets:
    > Kodak made its choice and decided uo use Lexar's flashcards
    > as their exclusive provider. This choice base on reliability
    > of Lexar's products.
    >
    > Thomas

    I have both Sandisk and Lexar SD cards, and both work just fine in the
    Kodak DX6440. I have noticed, however, that the Lexar cards report a
    couple of percent more usable space.. Perhaps this is one reason...

    Ron Hunter, May 17, 2004