    hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
    see a review please post the URL.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
    > getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
    >
    > Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
    > download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
    > Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
    >
    > I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
    > rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
    > now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
    > hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
    > see a review please post the URL.
    >
    > Bill

    BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop and
    I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm traveling
    that I need the fastest downloads ... also he only tested the Extreme
    IV cards and I'd like to see it for earlier cards as well if anyone has
    tested for this ... with his PC he was seeing about 28 MB/sec instead
    of 40 MB/sec and I'm sure it's slower on a laptop ...
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7896-8475

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Bill Hilton wrote:

    > BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    > almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
    > and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
    > traveling that I need the fastest downloads

    Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
    slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
    maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
    cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 24, 2006
  4. On 23 Sep 2006 16:55:14 -0700, Bill Hilton <> wrote:

    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
    >> getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
    >>
    >> Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
    >> download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
    >> Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
    >>
    >> I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
    >> rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
    >> now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
    >> hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
    >> see a review please post the URL.
    >>
    >> Bill

    > BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    > almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop and
    > I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm traveling
    > that I need the fastest downloads ... also he only tested the Extreme
    > IV cards and I'd like to see it for earlier cards as well if anyone has
    > tested for this ... with his PC he was seeing about 28 MB/sec instead
    > of 40 MB/sec and I'm sure it's slower on a laptop ...
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7896-8475

    Read the article again. He tests with a PC laptop, of sorts. There are
    numbers quoted for a MacBook Pro, running Windows XP. There was a
    noticeable drop in throughput when switching from OSX to XP SP2; whether
    that's Apple's fault for providing crappy Windows drivers for the
    built-in Firewire port or Microsoft's fault for some bottleneck in XP is
    open to question. Under OSX, spooling to a file server, transfer rates
    are listed as 37 MB/s; the same setup under XP 29 MB/s.

    The table didn't say, but I would assume that the Mac was booted into
    Windows via the Boot Camp utility, rather than running some sort of
    virtualization software.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Bill Hilton

    ASAAR Guest

    On 23 Sep 2006 16:43:43 -0700, Bill Hilton wrote:

    > I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
    > rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
    > now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
    > hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
    > see a review please post the URL.

    This was posted here about 6 weeks ago. It has several pages, and
    from what I recall, compared read and write speeds from several
    manufacturer's cards in the Firewire reader. Sandisk also has a
    slightly slower USB 2.0 High Speed version of the reader. Right now
    my browser is only able to access the first page of the review, but
    IIRC, the highest measured throughput wasn't 40MB/sec., more like
    something in the 20's using the Extreme IV card. But the Extreme
    Firewire card reader also transferred data noticeable faster than
    another USB 2.0 card reader that it was compared with.

    ASAAR, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Bill Hilton

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >
    >> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    >> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
    >> and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
    >> traveling that I need the fastest downloads

    > Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
    > slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
    > maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
    > cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
    >
    > Rita

    Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of coffee
    anymore? :)

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Bill Hilton

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Bill Hilton wrote:
    >>
    >>> BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    >>> almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
    >>> and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
    >>> traveling that I need the fastest downloads

    >> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
    >> slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
    >> maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
    >> cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
    >>
    >> Rita
    >>

    > Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of coffee
    > anymore? :)
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Probably not, but running 15 cards at once sounds great.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Sep 24, 2006
  8. Dave Cohen wrote:

    >>> Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind
    >>> numbingly slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320
    >>> SCSI or FC for maximum speed and reliability. This way you can
    >>> transfer up to fifteen CF cards simultaneously without any loss of
    >>> performance. Rita

    >> Come on Rita! Doesn't anyone need an excuse to go make a cup of
    >> coffee anymore? :)
    >>

    > Probably not, but running 15 cards at once sounds great.

    The problem is firewire and USB2 were a disaster when they were on the
    drawing board. They were never meant to be used with the modern hardware we
    use today. It was great when the only thing you had to plug into it was a
    PCMCIA reader or a slow printer. This was great for the average consumer,
    but when you needed more speed and reliability you had to use a SCSI PCMCIA
    reader and for printing you were forced to used a network-attached printer.
    This is why you read about people suffering so much with these external
    USB2/firewire HDs.

    Personally, I would love to see all dSLRs come standard equipped with 40GB
    of high speed NVRAM and a gigabit or fiber port. This would open up so many
    doors to people that like to shoot tethered. USB2 is killing the dSLR
    market.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Bill Hilton

    John Turco Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > Is anyone using this new card reader yet? If so, are you actually
    > getting 40 MB/sec downloads on PC laptops?
    >
    > Do you see these speeds only with the Extreme IV cards? What kind of
    > download speeds do you see with other cards like say the Extreme and
    > Ultra II and III SanDisks and with any Lexars you might have?
    >
    > I would like a faster reader and this one (with Extreme IV cards) is
    > rated several times faster than the 32 bit Card Bus reader I'm using
    > now, but often the real world performance doesn't match the marketing
    > hype. I couldn't find a detailed review at the usual sites so if you
    > see a review please post the URL.
    >
    > Bill

    Hello, Bill:

    Sam's Club <http://www.samsclub.com> has a Sratitec "USB 2.0 25-in-1
    card reader" (model USB2CR25), with "enhanced speed technology," for
    only $14.23. It's supposed to be "up to 14x faster than USB 1.1 card
    readers" and nearly twice as fast as a "first generation USB 2.0 card
    reader."

    I've bought a couple of them, this year, but still haven't even opened
    their packages. My old Stratitec USB2CR7 (USB 2.0, 7-in-1) is good
    enough, for now. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 25, 2006
  10. Bill Hilton

    John Turco Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > Bill Hilton wrote:
    >
    > > BTW here's a link to Galbraith's initial review of this reader, but
    > > almost exclusively with a Mac ... the only PC he tests is a desktop
    > > and I would like to see the info for laptops since it's when I'm
    > > traveling that I need the fastest downloads

    > Needn't worry, with USB2 or firewire you will always have mind numbingly
    > slow transfer speeds. These things should have been U320 SCSI or FC for
    > maximum speed and reliability. This way you can transfer up to fifteen CF
    > cards simultaneously without any loss of performance.
    >
    > Rita

    Hello, Rita:

    Honestly, your SCSI chauvinism knows no bounds! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 25, 2006
  11. Bill Hilton

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 Sep 2006 23:26:27 EDT, John Turco wrote:

    > Sam's Club <http://www.samsclub.com> has a Sratitec "USB 2.0 25-in-1
    > card reader" (model USB2CR25), with "enhanced speed technology," for
    > only $14.23. It's supposed to be "up to 14x faster than USB 1.1 card
    > readers" and nearly twice as fast as a "first generation USB 2.0 card
    > reader."
    >
    > I've bought a couple of them, this year, but still haven't even opened
    > their packages. My old Stratitec USB2CR7 (USB 2.0, 7-in-1) is good
    > enough, for now. <g>

    DANGER!!! DANGER!!!

    The first generation USB 2.0 card readers were USB 2.0 Full Speed.
    I guess you know where this is heading, but for others that might
    not, this was snipped from a recent message in an mp3 audio hardware
    newsgroup:

    > USB 2.0 support three speeds: Low speed @ 1.5Mbps,
    > full speed @ 12Mbps, and high speed @ 480MBps.
    > (For comparison, USB 1.1 supports two speed -- low speed and full speed.)

    I hope that those new Stratitec card readers work at High Speed.
    Do the old ones, or are they just Full Speed readers?

    BTW, I've been researching USR's PCI modems, and the only one I
    see that uses a DSP is the USR5610B, which at $90 is more than twice
    the price of the Zoom, which is still working very well, and it
    typically transfers at sustained rates of just over 20MB/hr.
    Unfortunately, all of the local computer stores that carry USR
    modems only have the cheaper non-DSP versions. They do have the
    USR5633A though, which is a USB version. No mention is made in its
    description that it uses a DSP, but I imagine that a box plugged
    into the USB bus would need to use one. Are you at all familiar
    with them and how well they might perform?
    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2006
  12. Bill Hilton

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:45:24 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
    @aol.com> wrote:

    >Personally, I would love to see all dSLRs come standard equipped with 40GB
    >of high speed NVRAM and a gigabit or fiber port. This would open up so many
    >doors to people that like to shoot tethered. USB2 is killing the dSLR
    >market.

    Where have you read or seen that USB2 is killing the DSLR market?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 25, 2006
  13. Bill Hilton

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:37:30 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

    >> Personally, I would love to see all dSLRs come standard equipped with 40GB
    >> of high speed NVRAM and a gigabit or fiber port. This would open up so many
    >> doors to people that like to shoot tethered. USB2 is killing the dSLR
    >> market.

    > Where have you read or seen that USB2 is killing the DSLR market?

    Probably from one of those SCSI rags such as The Onion.
    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2006
  14. Bill Hilton

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:07:47 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:37:30 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:
    >
    >>> Personally, I would love to see all dSLRs come standard equipped with 40GB
    >>> of high speed NVRAM and a gigabit or fiber port. This would open up so many
    >>> doors to people that like to shoot tethered. USB2 is killing the dSLR
    >>> market.

    >> Where have you read or seen that USB2 is killing the DSLR market?

    > Probably from one of those SCSI rags such as The Onion.

    :)
    We'll see if there's a response.
    I know Rita is a SCSI proponent (to say the least), but I haven't seen
    any complaints about USB2 doing anything to kill DSLR sales at all,
    anywhere, except from her.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Sep 25, 2006
  15. Bill Funk wrote:

    > We'll see if there's a response.
    > I know Rita is a SCSI proponent (to say the least), but I haven't seen
    > any complaints about USB2 doing anything to kill DSLR sales at all,
    > anywhere, except from her.

    Yeah, but is there really anything better than SCSI? As for USB2 killing
    the dSLR market, I know that there aren't many happy people using it to
    transfer files from their dSLR to the computer. And there aren't many pros
    shooting tethered with it. So, again, why did Nikon and Canon put that hole
    on the side of their dSLRs?

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2006
  16. Bill Hilton

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    > Yeah, but is there really anything better than SCSI? As for USB2 killing
    > the dSLR market, I know that there aren't many happy people using it to
    > transfer files from their dSLR to the computer. And there aren't many pros
    > shooting tethered with it.

    They should just use ethernet, and put a web server in the camera, so
    you could control the camera from a browser instead of needing some
    damn proprietary camera app.
    Paul Rubin, Sep 26, 2006
  17. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    >> Yeah, but is there really anything better than SCSI? As for USB2 killing
    >> the dSLR market, I know that there aren't many happy people using it to
    >> transfer files from their dSLR to the computer. And there aren't many pros
    >> shooting tethered with it.

    > They should just use ethernet, and put a web server in the camera, so
    > you could control the camera from a browser instead of needing some
    > damn proprietary camera app.

    Isn't that a tad slower than firewire? I'm not a USB fan at all, and I
    went to Fry's eletronic emporium to find a firewire card reader, and 6
    out of 6 clerks said they didn't have them, so I settled for a USB II
    card, not realizing that what sounds like top speed is severely slow.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 26, 2006
  18. Paul Rubin wrote:

    >> Yeah, but is there really anything better than SCSI? As for USB2
    >> killing the dSLR market, I know that there aren't many happy people
    >> using it to transfer files from their dSLR to the computer. And
    >> there aren't many pros shooting tethered with it.

    > They should just use ethernet, and put a web server in the camera, so
    > you could control the camera from a browser instead of needing some
    > damn proprietary camera app.

    Oh, absolutely! This has been done many years back with the Tektronix/Xerox
    Phaser solid ink printers and HP started doing this with their 4100 and 4200
    series printers that have the printserver card installed. That's why I said
    many posts back that camera manufacturers would have been better off putting
    in a 10/100/1000 Ethernet jack or a fiber connection instead of this
    worthless USB2 jack. This, of course, would open up a whole new world of
    possibilities and performance.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2006
  19. John McWilliams wrote:

    >> They should just use ethernet, and put a web server in the camera, so
    >> you could control the camera from a browser instead of needing some
    >> damn proprietary camera app.

    > Isn't that a tad slower than firewire? I'm not a USB fan at all, and I
    > went to Fry's eletronic emporium to find a firewire card reader, and 6
    > out of 6 clerks said they didn't have them, so I settled for a USB II
    > card, not realizing that what sounds like top speed is severely slow.

    Nope! It depends on the interface. I'd rather have a cheap $15 gigabit
    card over USB2/firewire any day of the week. USB and firewire sound great
    on paper, it's when you get them hooked up in the real world is when you
    quickly realize both suck.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Sep 26, 2006
  20. Bill Hilton

    Neil.Ellwood Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> writes:
    >> Yeah, but is there really anything better than SCSI? As for USB2
    >> killing the dSLR market, I know that there aren't many happy people
    >> using it to
    >> transfer files from their dSLR to the computer. And there aren't
    >> many pros shooting tethered with it.

    > They should just use ethernet, and put a web server in the camera,
    > so you could control the camera from a browser instead of needing
    > some damn proprietary camera app.

    I don't use any proprietary camera app. but all my photos get onto my
    computer quite well.

    You could try using a linux distro and would find several methods.
    Neil.Ellwood, Sep 26, 2006