    burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can point me in a new
    direction), I can get it.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Bass-playin-ninja, Feb 27, 2006

  2. Bass-playin-ninja

    Au79 Guest

    Bass-playin-ninja wrote:

    > So I have read through some old things here in the group, and have yet
    > to find my problem.
    >
    > I am using a sandisk titanium crizer mini 1.0GB pen drive, and I
    > am trying to retrieve info from a Win98 PLus! (SE) box. I downloaded
    > the driver from Sandisk to do this, but when I plug into the machine, I
    > still dont' have access to the pen drive from the box. Is there
    > something that I am missing? Did I not do something right? I dont' have
    > the SE disk (it's my wife's box from college lord knows what happened
    > to the disk in the past 6 years). but I have a good connection and a
    > burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can point me in a new
    > direction), I can get it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Good luck with that...

    Unfortunately, many of the modern dodas in the market today will only run
    under newer OS/Hardware.

    I would not want to recommend that you even try to install WinXP in your old
    Win98 box; chances are that it will not work.

    One solution to the problem is to order/download a Linux-based LiveCD from
    Knoppix or Ubuntu, boot Linux from the CD drive and then transfer your
    files, then boot back to Win98.

    Au79, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Bass-playin-ninja

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Bass-playin-ninja spewed forth:
    > So I have read through some old things here in the group, and have yet
    > to find my problem.
    >
    > I am using a sandisk titanium crizer mini 1.0GB pen drive, and I
    > am trying to retrieve info from a Win98 PLus! (SE) box. I downloaded
    > the driver from Sandisk to do this, but when I plug into the machine,
    > I still dont' have access to the pen drive from the box. Is there
    > something that I am missing? Did I not do something right? I dont'
    > have the SE disk (it's my wife's box from college lord knows what
    > happened to the disk in the past 6 years). but I have a good
    > connection and a burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can
    > point me in a new direction), I can get it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Did you plug in the pen drive BEFORE installing the drivers? If so, you may
    have a bum entry in the Device Manager. If so, then clear that, and
    reinstall the drivers, and then plug in the pen drive.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 28, 2006
  4. "Bass-playin-ninja" <> wrote in message
    > So I have read through some old things here in the group, and have yet
    > to find my problem.
    >
    > I am using a sandisk titanium crizer mini 1.0GB pen drive, and I
    > am trying to retrieve info from a Win98 PLus! (SE) box. I downloaded
    > the driver from Sandisk to do this, but when I plug into the machine, I
    > still dont' have access to the pen drive from the box. Is there
    > something that I am missing? Did I not do something right? I dont' have
    > the SE disk (it's my wife's box from college lord knows what happened
    > to the disk in the past 6 years). but I have a good connection and a
    > burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can point me in a new
    > direction), I can get it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    I have been using a smaller drive on 98 SE.
    You can get the drivers from Sandisk' site.

    Try http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1095

    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Feb 28, 2006
  5. Bass-playin-ninja

    PC Guest

    > So I have read through some old things here in the group, and have yet
    > to find my problem.
    >
    > I am using a sandisk titanium crizer mini 1.0GB pen drive, and I
    > am trying to retrieve info from a Win98 PLus! (SE) box. I downloaded
    > the driver from Sandisk to do this, but when I plug into the machine, I
    > still dont' have access to the pen drive from the box. Is there
    > something that I am missing? Did I not do something right? I dont' have
    > the SE disk (it's my wife's box from college lord knows what happened
    > to the disk in the past 6 years). but I have a good connection and a
    > burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can point me in a new
    > direction), I can get it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    It's not uncommon for older hardware to have the USB ports turned off by
    default in the Bios.
    To remedy enter the Bios as the PC starts and look for the USB entry.
    (how you enter the Bios and where the USB settings are depend entirely on
    the brand/model of motherboard, you will have to read the manual)

    If the USB ports are 'on' (or you've turned them on) then remove the
    software you installed for the USB stick, make sure the USB stick is 'not'
    connected, reboot the PC, reinsatll the USB stick software 'first', reboot,
    now insert the USB stick.

    If the stick is not recognised try one or more of the other USB ports on the
    PC.
    It is not uncommon for front USB ports to be 'finicky', the back plane ones
    tend to be more reliable.

    The were problems with some motherboard chipsets (VIA in particular) so you
    may not have any joy even after all that.

    Best luck.

    Paul.

    PC, Feb 28, 2006
  6. Bass-playin-ninja

    Jerry G. Guest

    Uninstall the Cruzer software. Go in to the BIOS setup, and make sure that
    the settings for the USB ports are always on, if this option is available.
    Reinstall the Cruzer software.

    You can also try other USB ports on the computer, and also try putting the
    Cruzer on an active (powered) hub, and then to the port. Sometimes adding an
    active hub an fix these types of problems.

    It is possible that with the newer devices, when using older hardware, and
    operating systems, there is a good possibility that you may not be able to
    make it work.

    You may have to go to a newer computer, and burn some CD disks of the
    contents of your Cruzer. Then use the CD disks to get the data in to the
    older computer. If you have more than a few gb of data to transfer, this can
    become an inconvenience if you have to burn many CD disks.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Feb 28, 2006
  7. Bass-playin-ninja

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:49:10 -0800, Bass-playin-ninja wrote:

    > So I have read through some old things here in the group, and have yet
    > to find my problem.
    >
    > I am using a sandisk titanium crizer mini 1.0GB pen drive, and I
    > am trying to retrieve info from a Win98 PLus! (SE) box. I downloaded
    > the driver from Sandisk to do this, but when I plug into the machine, I
    > still dont' have access to the pen drive from the box. Is there
    > something that I am missing? Did I not do something right? I dont' have
    > the SE disk (it's my wife's box from college lord knows what happened
    > to the disk in the past 6 years). but I have a good connection and a
    > burner, so if it's on the net, (and someone can point me in a new
    > direction), I can get it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Yeh you're fucked.

    Meat Plow, Feb 28, 2006