SanDisk: Complaint and compliment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by scs0, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. scs0

    scs0 Guest

    I have a SanDisk 128MB compact flash memory chip for my Canon
    Powershow S30 digital camera that I bought in November 2001. I have a
    SanDisk USB card reader attached to a USB router that I'll connect to
    various computers as needed. I had my compact flash card in my reader
    for about 2 weeks, in that time I had connected the router to 2
    different computers and turned the entire connected PC on and off a
    few times. When I went to check my card, all the pictures were lost
    and it couldn't even be reformatted: it was totally hosed.

    I've recently gone on a crusade against defective technology. I'm
    really getting sick and tired of how acceptable it has become for
    technological things to flat out not work or not work as well as they
    should. So, I decided that even though SanDisk wouldn't replace my
    card (after all, I bought it 18 months ago and the receipt is long
    gone) I can at least rant at someone at SanDisk and tell them off for
    selling this shoddy piece of equipment that in absolutely no way
    should have lost its memory, let alone become unformattable!

    So I called up and he asked what happened, and when and where I bought
    it. I could only take an educated guess on the date but I remember
    the store. He then tells me that they'll email a FedEx slip that I
    can use to return the chip for free and they'll send me a new one. I
    was stunned- though it was unacceptable for the chip to go bad in the
    first place I couldn't believe that they would take me for my word and
    even pay for the shipping of the card! Less than a week later my
    replacement chip arrived.

    I think I found the reason for their believing me: there's a 5 year
    warrenty on the chips and they probably weren't making 128MB chips 5
    years ago so that was probably proof enough that I was telling the
    truth.

    So even though it was unacceptable for the chip to become defective, I
    was extremely impressed that SanDisk sent me a replacement and even
    made the return process so easy on me.
    scs0, Jul 29, 2003

  2. "scs0" <> wrote in message
    > I have a SanDisk 128MB compact flash memory chip for my Canon
    > Powershow S30 digital camera that I bought in November 2001. I have a
    > SanDisk USB card reader attached to a USB router that I'll connect to
    > various computers as needed. I had my compact flash card in my reader
    > for about 2 weeks, in that time I had connected the router to 2
    > different computers and turned the entire connected PC on and off a
    > few times. When I went to check my card, all the pictures were lost
    > and it couldn't even be reformatted: it was totally hosed.
    >
    > I've recently gone on a crusade against defective technology. I'm
    > really getting sick and tired of how acceptable it has become for
    > technological things to flat out not work or not work as well as they
    > should. So, I decided that even though SanDisk wouldn't replace my
    > card (after all, I bought it 18 months ago and the receipt is long
    > gone) I can at least rant at someone at SanDisk and tell them off for
    > selling this shoddy piece of equipment that in absolutely no way
    > should have lost its memory, let alone become unformattable!
    >
    > So I called up and he asked what happened, and when and where I bought
    > it. I could only take an educated guess on the date but I remember
    > the store. He then tells me that they'll email a FedEx slip that I
    > can use to return the chip for free and they'll send me a new one. I
    > was stunned- though it was unacceptable for the chip to go bad in the
    > first place I couldn't believe that they would take me for my word and
    > even pay for the shipping of the card! Less than a week later my
    > replacement chip arrived.
    >
    > I think I found the reason for their believing me: there's a 5 year
    > warrenty on the chips and they probably weren't making 128MB chips 5
    > years ago so that was probably proof enough that I was telling the
    > truth.
    >
    > So even though it was unacceptable for the chip to become defective, I
    > was extremely impressed that SanDisk sent me a replacement and even
    > made the return process so easy on me.

    It is accceptable, but not wise, to leave a card in a reader when you switch
    between computers. The place for a card when it is not in active use is in
    a storage case.
    Marvin Margoshes, Jul 30, 2003

  3. scs0

    no1 Guest

    I had a Kodax card go bad in ONE WEEK, I called and they told me I must
    have abused it !! Tough.......
    Needless to mention, I no longer by Kodax,,,,,,,,,,,.

    no1, Jul 30, 2003
  4. scs0

    c le Guest

    Here is the advice , I got it somewhere (can't remember):
    1- Never use a card reader 2- Don't take the card out of the camera
    unnecessarily 3- Reformat the card after downloading the images to
    your PC using your camera and the supplied cable...But I agree: the
    manufacture should be accountable for their product reliability.
    c le, Jul 31, 2003
  5. scs0

    phauke

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Portland, OR, Metro Area
    SanDisk RMA Process

    I am extremely unhappy with SanDisk and their RMA process. I bought a new U3 4Gbyte flash drive through Dell. It did not work. I called SanDisk, got an RMA, the Fedex Label and sent it back per their instructions. This was over 6 weeks ago.

    Today, I get a message from their "autoreply" group directly by email telling me if I did not send back the unit in 15 days, my RMA would be cancelled. What? They have had it for 6 weeks!

    I left a message on their "ebox" support system and called their support group. It turns out that the online support, the phone support and the RMA department are three seperate, disconnected organizations.... this is according to the customer support person I spoke with.

    It also turns out that I had spoken with this same individual before and she had all my notes including the Fedex tracking numbers. This was about 2 weeks ago and she told me to expect the replacement by the end of June. So, today, she did not know what was going on.

    In the meantime, their online service, "ebox", sends me a note telling me that I have to wait for 4 more weeks due to supply shortages.

    So, I think the customer support person was accurate. No one knows what they are doing there!

    I think I am out $150! I should have dealt with Dell's support. I didn't because.... well I am sure some of you have thrashed with Dell's support. Now, they look really easy compared SanDisk!

    I am very unhappy and very disappointed and I truly doubt I will every buy another SanDisk product... nor will the company I own and run.
    phauke, Jun 23, 2006