    comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this failures...).
    Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this results in often
    dying...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005

  2. SleeperMan

    ZeHanz Guest

    SleeperMan gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
    > I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
    > about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
    > stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
    > died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II series,
    > they didn't have one single case of failure.
    > I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want to buy 1G card and i wonder
    > which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while Extreme comes
    > with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this failures...). Sure,
    > Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this results in often dying...

    I bought an Extreme III 1GB CF card in February. Two weeks later it
    died. Luckily I managed to get the pictures (60 of them) off the card
    with a freeware prog (Zero Assumption Recovery). The Sandisk supplied
    rescue program couldn't do this trick!
    My camera didn't succeed in formatting the card again. Formatting in
    the card reader also failed, because it didn't recognize the card
    anymore.
    Back in the shop they tried it in another camera, but nothing worked.
    They are going to replace it. I am still waiting (3 weeks now) because
    they are out of stock :(

    --
    Groeten,
    Hans Roos

    ZeHanz, Mar 20, 2005

  3. SleeperMan

    [BnH] Guest

    What is your camera ?
    Most camera can't even utilise the Sandisk Ultra II speed .. .why bother
    buying the Extreme III ?
    And I don't think you will plunge into a -13 F area I think ?

    =bob=

    [BnH], Mar 20, 2005
  4. SleeperMan

    Mike Mc Guest

    >I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
    >about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
    >stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
    >died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II
    >series, they didn't have one single case of failure.
    > I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want to buy 1G card and i
    > wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while
    > Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this
    > failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and this
    > results in often dying...

    I got free recovery software when I bought a 2GB sandisk ultra II recently.

    Mike Mc, Mar 20, 2005
  5. SleeperMan

    Charles Guest

    In article <ssd%d.10598$>, SleeperMan
    <> wrote:

    > I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and asked him
    > about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are currently out of
    > stock, but he said that in a period of their manufacture, quite a few cards
    > died and they had to replace them, while as long as he sells Ultra II
    > series, they didn't have one single case of failure.

    I often notice that when a salesman is out of stock on item they come
    up with something negative about the product they don't have in stock
    and in favor of what they do have in stock. They want to make the
    sale. This happened to me yesterday when I was shopping for digital
    camera for my niece. The salesman said something negative about the
    camera I prefered that did not make sense. I countered his a statement.
    he then admitted he did not have the camera I prefered in stock. I
    would take the salesmans statement with a grain of salt.

    --
    Charles

    Charles, Mar 20, 2005
  6. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    [BnH] wrote:
    > What is your camera ?
    > Most camera can't even utilise the Sandisk Ultra II speed .. .why
    > bother buying the Extreme III ?
    > And I don't think you will plunge into a -13 F area I think ?
    >
    > =bob=

    Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  7. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Mike Mc wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    >> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
    >> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
    >> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
    >> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
    >> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
    >> single case of failure. I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want
    >> to buy 1G card and
    >> i wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty, while
    >> Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know of this
    >> failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the edge, and
    >> this results in often dying...
    >>

    > I got free recovery software when I bought a 2GB sandisk ultra II
    > recently.

    That's good to know...i must ask for this...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  8. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  9. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    SleeperMan wrote:
    > Charles wrote:
    >> In article <ssd%d.10598$>, SleeperMan
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
    >>> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
    >>> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
    >>> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
    >>> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
    >>> single case of failure.

    >> I often notice that when a salesman is out of stock on item they come
    >> up with something negative about the product they don't have in stock
    >> and in favor of what they do have in stock. They want to make the
    >> sale. This happened to me yesterday when I was shopping for digital
    >> camera for my niece. The salesman said something negative about the
    >> camera I prefered that did not make sense. I countered his a
    >> statement. he then admitted he did not have the camera I prefered in
    >> stock. I would take the salesmans statement with a grain of salt.

    ooopsss---sorry---
    accidental click...
    but, to reply...
    he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement was more
    or less correct...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  10. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    ZeHanz wrote:
    > SleeperMan gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
    >> I just spoke with salesman who imports and sells Sandisk here and
    >> asked him about this new Extreme III series cards. First, they are
    >> currently out of stock, but he said that in a period of their
    >> manufacture, quite a few cards died and they had to replace them,
    >> while as long as he sells Ultra II series, they didn't have one
    >> single case of failure. I wonder, does anyone have similar report? I want
    >> to buy 1G card and
    >> i wonder which one to choose. They both have lifetime warranty,
    >> while Extreme comes with rescue software(why ...??? Maybe they know
    >> of this failures...). Sure, Extreme is faster, maybe more to the
    >> edge, and this results in often dying...

    > I bought an Extreme III 1GB CF card in February. Two weeks later it
    > died. Luckily I managed to get the pictures (60 of them) off the card
    > with a freeware prog (Zero Assumption Recovery). The Sandisk supplied
    > rescue program couldn't do this trick!
    > My camera didn't succeed in formatting the card again. Formatting in
    > the card reader also failed, because it didn't recognize the card
    > anymore.
    > Back in the shop they tried it in another camera, but nothing worked.
    > They are going to replace it. I am still waiting (3 weeks now) because
    > they are out of stock :(

    Damn..
    what he said also is that from their internal tests some cameras are
    especially sensitive with some devies, like he said they put one card in one
    Nikon, took some shots, erase...then later tried some other camera with same
    card. Immediately after power-on, card died beyond recovery. They
    experienced same behaivour with two cards.

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  11. SleeperMan

    Charles Guest

    In article <H9k%d.10613$>, SleeperMan
    <> wrote:

    > Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will notice
    any difference.

    --
    Charles

    Charles, Mar 20, 2005
  12. SleeperMan

    Charles Guest

    In article <vbk%d.10617$>, SleeperMan
    <> wrote:

    > he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement was more
    > or less correct...

    I wonder why he would be out of stock of the Ultra II cards. Been to a
    few stores in the last couple of days and they were quite plentifull.
    On the other hand none of them had any Extreme III. I wonder how he
    even could have much feedback on those.

    --
    Charles

    Charles, Mar 20, 2005
  13. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > In article <H9k%d.10613$>, SleeperMan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    > I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
    > notice any difference.

    agreed. In any case i didn't consider for the difference, but i
    thought...new card, new technology, better stuff, better reliability...i
    guess i'm wrong.

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  14. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > In article <vbk%d.10617$>, SleeperMan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement
    >> was more or less correct...

    > I wonder why he would be out of stock of the Ultra II cards. Been to a
    > few stores in the last couple of days and they were quite plentifull.
    > On the other hand none of them had any Extreme III. I wonder how he
    > even could have much feedback on those.

    good question...They did have them, they sold them out. I bet they first try
    them in their best cameras first (i would), so they come to this
    conclusion...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  15. SleeperMan

    Peter Resch Guest

    > Charles wrote:
    > > In article <H9k%d.10613$>, SleeperMan
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    > > I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
    > > notice any difference.

    > agreed. In any case i didn't consider for the difference, but i
    > thought...new card, new technology, better stuff, better reliability...i
    > guess i'm wrong.

    What is more likely is the proven debugged technology of the older cards.
    Peter

    Peter Resch, Mar 20, 2005
  16. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Peter Resch wrote:
    > "SleeperMan" <> wrote in message
    >> Charles wrote:

    >>> I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
    >>> notice any difference.

    >> agreed. In any case i didn't consider for the difference, but i
    >> thought...new card, new technology, better stuff, better
    >> reliability...i guess i'm wrong.
    >>

    > What is more likely is the proven debugged technology of the older
    > cards. Peter

    i guess you're right...Ultra II is it then...

    SleeperMan, Mar 20, 2005
  17. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles <> wrote:

    >In article <H9k%d.10613$>, SleeperMan
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    >I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will notice
    >any difference.

    Or even the standard card for way less. I don't think that the camera
    canuse the speed at all. The benefit might be had when downloading
    through a USB2 card reader.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 21, 2005
  18. On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:47:28 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    <> wrote:

    >Charles wrote:
    >> In article <vbk%d.10617$>, SleeperMan
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> he doesn't have either of cards in stock, so i think this judgement
    >>> was more or less correct...

    >> I wonder why he would be out of stock of the Ultra II cards. Been to a
    >> few stores in the last couple of days and they were quite plentifull.
    >> On the other hand none of them had any Extreme III. I wonder how he
    >> even could have much feedback on those.

    >good question...They did have them, they sold them out. I bet they first try
    >them in their best cameras first (i would), so they come to this
    >conclusion...

    There should be no shortage of Ultra II 1GB cards. I was in Costco
    today and bought one for $72. They had about a thousand of them in a
    single store. On the other hand, maybe Costco got them all.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 21, 2005
  19. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Oliver Costich wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:33:31 -0500, Charles <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <H9k%d.10613$>, SleeperMan
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Canon S1 IS. I think it won't have problems with either card...

    >> I would get the cheaper of the two cards. I don't think you will
    >> notice any difference.

    > Or even the standard card for way less. I don't think that the camera
    > canuse the speed at all. The benefit might be had when downloading
    > through a USB2 card reader.

    All i need in this camera is about 15x speed for shooting highest quality
    video. I don't have external reader yet, since my PC doesn't have USB 2.0
    port...maybe one day.

    SleeperMan, Mar 21, 2005
  20. SleeperMan

    SleeperMan Guest

    Oliver Costich wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:47:28 +0100, "SleeperMan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Charles wrote:

    >>> I wonder why he would be out of stock of the Ultra II cards. Been
    >>> to a few stores in the last couple of days and they were quite
    >>> plentifull. On the other hand none of them had any Extreme III. I
    >>> wonder how he even could have much feedback on those.

    >> good question...They did have them, they sold them out. I bet they
    >> first try them in their best cameras first (i would), so they come
    >> to this conclusion...
    >>

    > There should be no shortage of Ultra II 1GB cards. I was in Costco
    > today and bought one for $72. They had about a thousand of them in a
    > single store. On the other hand, maybe Costco got them all.

    lucky bastards... :)
    in my country 139USD is best i can do...

    SleeperMan, Mar 21, 2005