Samyang 85mm f1.4 beats Nikon? (Resolution)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 20, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 20, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
    >Canada.
    >
    >http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

    Geoffrey Crawley's reviews in "Amateur Photographer" are generally
    meticulous and his "old school" conclusions are reliable as long as
    you know how to read between the lines.

    I'm delighted with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, even after a lot of use.
    However, not everyone is as happy as I am. There seems to be some
    production variation.

    So the usual advice applies. But one from a seller with a robust
    returns policy, and test, test, test it until you are happy that you
    got a good one. If not, return it for a replacement.

    It is worth the effort because a good sample represents truly
    exceptional value for money. I bought mine for >30% less than the
    price in the AP Review. I could have bought four of these lenses for
    the price of an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D or a Carl Zeiss ZF Planar T*
    85mm F/1.4!

    I confess to keeping an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D as a spare but the
    Samyang is my first choice because of its outstanding optics and
    superbly smooth focusing action. I always focus manually, and the
    feel of the Nikkor's focusing ring leaves a lot to be desired, but the
    handling of the Samyang cannot be faulted.

    I haven't read the AP review yet (the magazine is sent to subscribers
    three days before it is generally available) but would be interested
    to see a comparison of the anti-reflection coatings of the Samyang and
    Nikkor designs. In my experience the Samyang displays exceptional
    resistance to flare for an 85mm f/1.4 and actually beats the Nikkor.

    My only complaint is that the included plastic lens hood is flimsy and
    doesn't locate positively enough on its bayonet. It is also far too
    "wide" so I use a screw-in metal hood which gives accurate shading.

    This issue of "Amateur Photographer" hits UK bookstores next Tuesday,
    June 22. It should be available on US bookstands June 26. I believe
    that most/all Barnes and Noble stores sell the magazine.

    Bruce, Jun 20, 2010

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:59:16 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
    <> wrote:
    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>I haven't seen this issue yet. Probably take a month to get to
    >> Canada.
    >>
    >> http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

    >That seems to be the same as the Vivitar 85/1.4, which has been around for
    >at least a year or two. Last time I saw it advertised it was about $350 as I
    >recall. Interesting looking lens if you don't mind manual operation.

    It is available under quite a few brands including Vivitar, Soligor,
    Rokinon and of course that of its manufacturer, Samyang.

    It's a super lens. The manual focus action is very smooth. You
    really shouldn't be using AF on an 85mm f/1.4 anyway.

    Bruce, Jun 20, 2010
  4. RichA

    Rich Guest

    On Jun 20, 4:38 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I haven't seen this issue yet.  Probably take a month to get to
    > >Canada.

    > >http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

    > Geoffrey Crawley's reviews in "Amateur Photographer" are generally
    > meticulous and his "old school" conclusions are reliable as long as
    > you know how to read between the lines.
    >
    > I'm delighted with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, even after a lot of use.
    > However, not everyone is as happy as I am.  There seems to be some
    > production variation.

    Be a good idea for reviewers to order three of them and average out
    the test then.

    Rich, Jun 21, 2010
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:04:30 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 20, 4:38 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I haven't seen this issue yet.  Probably take a month to get to
    >> >Canada.

    >> >http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16804

    >> Geoffrey Crawley's reviews in "Amateur Photographer" are generally
    >> meticulous and his "old school" conclusions are reliable as long as
    >> you know how to read between the lines.
    >>
    >> I'm delighted with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4, even after a lot of use.
    >> However, not everyone is as happy as I am.  There seems to be some
    >> production variation.
    >>

    >Be a good idea for reviewers to order three of them and average out
    >the test then.

    That's true of any lens of any brand. They all have some sample
    variation.

    Otherwise, how could Sigma lenses garner such excellent reviews? The
    big problem is finding a Sigma lens that matches the review sample.

    Bruce, Jun 21, 2010
  6. "Rich" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Be a good idea for reviewers to order three of them and average out
    > the test then.

    Disagree with "average out".
    Both the average /and/ the extremes should be reported.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 21, 2010
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 21, 4:49 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > []
    >
    > > Be a good idea for reviewers to order three of them and average out
    > > the test then.

    > Disagree with "average out".
    > Both the average /and/ the extremes should be reported.
    >
    > David

    Didn't meant to imply that, I agree with your post.

    RichA, Jun 21, 2010