    HP too does not provide protection in their cameras for the LCD.

    What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
    protection over the LCD?
    Mike Henley, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Mike Henley

    EF in FLA Guest

    > What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
    > protection over the LCD?

    I think there is some protection there, just not a "thick layer". Besides,
    you're not supposed to beat the hell outta your camera.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Mike Henley wrote:
    > If you look at this image
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/samsung_v800frontback.jpg
    > You'll notice that despite the selling point of many recent samsung
    > cameras being that they have large LCD Screens, you'll notice that
    > they come unprotected. This isn't just a "prototype" thing, I've seen
    > them in the stores and they are unprotected. The japanese cameras on
    > the other hand, from Sony to Fuji, come with a thick layer of glass
    > or hard acrylic, at least a millimeter thick, over the LCD. I also
    > noticed that HP too does not provide protection in their cameras for
    > the LCD.
    >
    > What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
    > protection over the LCD?

    More protection=worse visual quality.
    In sunlight most protective glass will be reflective, and you will have to
    use your hands or something to shield the LCD to reduce the glare.
    Most LCD-panels have a soft antireflective layer of plastic to reduce the
    glare and enhance the viewing angle.

    --
    Frode P. Bergsager
    Frode P. Bergsager, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    EF in FLA wrote:
    > > What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
    > > protection over the LCD?

    > I think there is some protection there, just not a "thick layer". Besides,
    > you're not supposed to beat the hell outta your camera.
    >
    > ef

    Any small, portable digital device should have adequate enough
    protection. As it is with its naked LCD, this samsung camera is very,
    very damage-prone.
    Mike Henley, Jun 12, 2005