    they leave the business, to concentrate on the cheap TV's they are so
    good at.

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/63...ahead-to-carrier-subsidized-connected-cameras

    RichA, Mar 16, 2012

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > Upload huge RAW files to the "cloud?" Why?

    why not?

    > Is Samsung moving into
    > the wireless carrier business?

    they've been making cellphones for years, many of which have cameras.
    this is just more of a camera than it is a phone.

    > Do we need to deplete already limited
    > bandwidth?

    it's continually being increased.

    nospam, Mar 16, 2012

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >Upload huge RAW files to the "cloud?" Why? Is Samsung moving into
    >the wireless carrier business? Do we need to deplete already limited
    >bandwidth? I can't wait until they realize their foray into cameras
    >more sophisticated than a jpeg-spewing P&S's becomes truly evident and
    >they leave the business, to concentrate on the cheap TV's they are so
    >good at.
    >http://www.dpreview.com/articles/63...ahead-to-carrier-subsidized-connected-cameras

    It seems to me that Samsung will go to any lengths to try and sell its
    products. In one way, that's commendable, but in another, it suggests
    a hint of desperation.

    After a brief and ultimately unsuccessful foray into the DSLR market
    with Pentax, Samsung has committed itself to mirrorless CSCs. The
    product isn't at all bad, but it doesn't sell as strongly as perhaps
    it should.

    In 2011 we sold quite a few Samsung mirrorless CSCs because of the
    shortage of supply of other brands following the earthquake/tsunami in
    Japan and floods in Thailand. What we have noticed is how few
    accessories we have subsequently sold for those CSCs, and how few
    owners of them have returned to buy anything else. It cannot be
    because of unreliability issues as the number returned has been tiny.

    So why does a company with such strong products struggle to gain
    repeat business?

    It's a genuine question. I don't know the answer, but I suspect
    Samsung's brand image may play a part. One of our stores is located
    near a store that sells household appliances (we call them "white
    goods" here). The owner is a good friend of one of our directors. He
    has recently stopped selling Samsung products because of reliability
    problems. He says that, statistically, they are no less reliable than
    other, more established brands, but he thinks his customers are less
    tolerant of problems than they would be if they had bought Bosch,
    Siemens, AEG or Hoover.

    Why? He has no idea, but he says it is almost as if customers are
    more critical of the new kid on the block and are just waiting for
    their appliance to fail. When it does, it fits their preconceived
    ideas about a brand they don't yet know and trust.

    Psychology obviously plays a large part in buying decisions. It seems
    to me that Samsung needs to develop its corporate image before its
    cameras will sell in anything like the numbers they should, based on
    their technology, features, performance and reliability.

    Bruce, Mar 16, 2012