Samsung's HD DVD / Blu-Ray combo player, just in case

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/21/samsungs-hd-dvd-blu-ray-combo-player-just-in-case/

    Samsung's HD DVD / Blu-Ray combo player, just in case

    Posted Jun 21st 2006 9:54AM by Thomas Ricker
    Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment

    First it was on, then off, and now wouldn't you know it, Samsung's
    dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray player might see the light of your home
    theater after all. Too true, at least according to Digital World Tokyo
    who caught up with Kim Du-Hyon, the assistant (to the assistant?) manager
    in Samsung's home-platform product planning division, who said that Sammy
    is already working on a dual-format, "universal" drive which could launch
    by the end of the year if HD DVD is as successful as Blu-ray Disc. Hmm,
    big-ass assumptions aside, it's not really a surprise to find a consumer
    electronics powerhouse with R&D capital to burn hedging their next-gen,
    optical disc format bets, especially since Samsung is already in bed with
    Toshiba (the big mama of HD DVD) on a storage technology joint-venture.
    And you know Samsung execs are just itchin' for another "world's first"
    placard. Still, the timing of such a statement couldn't be worse with
    Samsung's fledgling BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disc player just days away from US
    launch signaling the first shot across the bow of the already entrenched
    HD DVD camp. Now someone please get Sim Hong Woo on the horn to teach
    those Samsung execs middle-managers how to talk some smack and declare
    war properly on the competition. Sheez.
    --
    "They put me on the "Waiting to Exhale" waiting list,
    but told me not to hold my breath."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Green Eyed Lady"

    Tarkus, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Tarkus

    Rich Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/21/samsungs-hd-dvd-blu-ray-combo-player-just-in-case/
    >
    > Samsung's HD DVD / Blu-Ray combo player, just in case
    >
    > Posted Jun 21st 2006 9:54AM by Thomas Ricker
    > Filed under: HDTV, Home Entertainment
    >
    > First it was on, then off, and now wouldn't you know it, Samsung's
    > dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray player might see the light of your home
    > theater after all. Too true, at least according to Digital World Tokyo
    > who caught up with Kim Du-Hyon, the assistant (to the assistant?) manager
    > in Samsung's home-platform product planning division, who said that Sammy
    > is already working on a dual-format, "universal" drive which could launch
    > by the end of the year if HD DVD is as successful as Blu-ray Disc. Hmm,
    > big-ass assumptions aside, it's not really a surprise to find a consumer
    > electronics powerhouse with R&D capital to burn hedging their next-gen,
    > optical disc format bets, especially since Samsung is already in bed with
    > Toshiba (the big mama of HD DVD) on a storage technology joint-venture.
    > And you know Samsung execs are just itchin' for another "world's first"
    > placard. Still, the timing of such a statement couldn't be worse with
    > Samsung's fledgling BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disc player just days away from US
    > launch signaling the first shot across the bow of the already entrenched
    > HD DVD camp. Now someone please get Sim Hong Woo on the horn to teach
    > those Samsung execs middle-managers how to talk some smack and declare
    > war properly on the competition. Sheez.
    > --
    > "They put me on the "Waiting to Exhale" waiting list,
    > but told me not to hold my breath."
    >
    > Now playing: "Pat Travers - Green Eyed Lady"

    Don't tell me; It's $1500. $1000 for the blu-ray part, and $500 for
    the HD-DVD part? :)
    Doer of all things, likely a master of none.

    Rich, Jun 22, 2006