Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
    Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET

    After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
    first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
    chip may be to blame.

    As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
    Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
    that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
    match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
    encoded."

    Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
    the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
    soften significantly."

    Though Samsung has yet to issue any formal statements regarding the
    apparent faulty chip, the company's senior vice president of marketing
    for its Audio and Video Products Group Jim Sanduski confirmed to The
    Perfect Vision that the company is working to fix the problem on future
    shipments of the BD-P1000, and also plans to issue a firmware upgrade to
    correct the problem on current players.

    "Samsung is currently working to revise the default settings on the
    noise-reduction circuit in the Genesis scaler chip to sharpen the
    picture," Sanduski is quoting as saying. "All future Samsung BD-P1000
    production will have this revision and we are working to develop a
    firmware update for existing product."

    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ungs_Blu-ray_Player_Ship_with_Faulty_Chip/144
    --
    "You little SOB. If I ever catch you I'm going to shove a sausage
    down your throat and stick starving dogs up your butt."

    Now playing: "The Jelly Jam - Maybe"
    Tarkus, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Tarkus

    Rich Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
    > Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
    >
    > After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
    > first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
    > chip may be to blame.
    >
    > As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
    > Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
    > that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
    > match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
    > encoded."
    >
    > Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
    > the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
    > soften significantly."

    Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?
    Rich, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Tarkus

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >Tarkus wrote:
    >> Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
    >> Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
    >>
    >> After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
    >> first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
    >> chip may be to blame.
    >>
    >> As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
    >> Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
    >> that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
    >> match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
    >> encoded."
    >>
    >> Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
    >> the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
    >> soften significantly."
    >>

    >Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?

    Cheap ass consumers "happened" to japanese players. Its when we all started
    to demand $25 dvd players and throw away tv's and vcr's that this happened.
    GMAN, Jul 20, 2006
  4. On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:22:20 GMT, (GMAN) Gave us:

    >In article <>, "Rich" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Tarkus wrote:
    >>> Samsung's Blu-ray Player Reportedly Has Faulty Chip
    >>> Wed Jul 19, 2006 at 05:46 PM ET
    >>>
    >>> After suffering weeks of negative buzz over the picture quality of its
    >>> first-generation Blu-ray disc player, Samsung now says an internal scaler
    >>> chip may be to blame.
    >>>
    >>> As reported earlier today by A/V magazine The Perfect Vision, Sony exec
    >>> Don Eklund first brought the issue to Samsung's attention after noticing
    >>> that the image quality produced by Samsung's BD-P1000 player "...did not
    >>> match the quality of the master tapes from which the Blu-ray titles were
    >>> encoded."
    >>>
    >>> Samsung engineers later determined that "the noise-reduction circuit in
    >>> the player's Genesis scaler chip was enabled, causing the picture to
    >>> soften significantly."
    >>>

    >>Typical Samsung sewage. Whatever happened to JAPANESE players?
    >>

    >Cheap ass consumers "happened" to japanese players. Its when we all started
    >to demand $25 dvd players and throw away tv's and vcr's that this happened.

    Nope. Other countries got involved as their economies evolved, and
    they took on more and more industry, and instead of being mere
    contract manufacturers, they started to make some of their own shit.

    Problem is that some of it really is shit.

    They do make good displays though.
    Phat Bytestard, Jul 21, 2006