Samsung hammered but Phillips immune???

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Differential, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. Differential

    Differential Guest

    About a year ago I bought a Phillips DVP642 DVD player - an ordinary 60
    dollar box with no bells and whistles but that plays just about everything
    just fine. Not long after I discovered that it was not macrovision
    enabled - period. Sends a clean signal to any input device, be it a
    capture card, dvd burner, or VCR. I assumed that it was an oversight by
    the Phillips plant in manufacturing, or was originally intended to be sold
    in South America or someplace that won't buy MV enabled stuff and was
    shipped to the US instead for whatever reason.

    So along comes the Samsung/Hollywood rumble with all the talk about
    illegal MV-Free products and making all purchasers exchange their product
    for a properly crippled unit (fat chance) and I thought that I was lucky
    to stumble onto a clean box a year ago.

    Then, this week, my wife's Sony player starts not liking certain DVDs from
    Netflix and restarts, stops, or quits at various times. I tell her to
    just go get another one - any name brand that is on sale. Couldn't
    believe it when I opened the box. It is a brand new Phillips DVP642 with
    no macrovision.

    First, I can't believe that the same model is being sold a year later
    since models on just about everything change with every truckload, and
    second, why is Samsung getting hammered and Phillips just keeps selling
    non-MV players and apparently the Hollywood money grubbers don't care?

    Anybody?

    Differential, Mar 25, 2006