Samsung GX-10 - wow!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sam, May 4, 2007.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Just in case anyone was wondering whether the Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) is
    as good as the Pentax version, wonder no more - it's better.

    Having owned both cameras I can state that the Samsung JPG algorithm
    produces noticeably sharper (yet also smoother) results.

    The infamous banding issue of under-exposed images is also reduced - to the
    point where RAW files (DNG only on the GX-10) opened in Lightroom eliminate
    the phenomenon completely when compared to the same image opened in Silkypix
    (Adobe obviously likes its own format)

    The menu system is also much improved over the Pentax version - much more
    modern and aesthetically pleasing. Build quality is exactly the same - but
    the Samsung comes with a 2 year warranty in the UK, and costs only £600 for
    the 2 lens kit.

    On the subject of the supplied lenses - I had planned to sell both lenses
    immediately on ebay (18-55 & 50-200) but they are so sharp and generally
    pleasing that I see no need to splash out on anything better at the moment.
    I have some considerable experience of various Pentax glass, including the
    18-55, 50-200, and a couple of the Limiteds (as well as many others) so I
    know what constitutes a good example. There is no reason why the Samsung
    brand lenses would be better than the Pentax version - so it appears that
    (for once in my life) I got lucky and landed two samples at the better end
    of the tolerance range.

    All in all I'm a happier camper than I've been for a couple of years trying
    cameras from Pentax Nikon and Fuji, now that Samsung have released a battery
    grip to fit the slightly deeper grip profile of the GX-10 I see no reason
    for buying the Pentax product.

    So, if you're debating the merits of the two cameras - buy the Samsung with
    confidence - I doubt that you'll be disappointed.

    Regards

    Sam, May 4, 2007

  2. Sam

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Sam <> wrote:

    > Just in case anyone was wondering whether the Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) is
    > as good as the Pentax version, wonder no more - it's better.

    [..]

    Does it have the firmware to control the SDM autofocus in the new DA*
    lenses?

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, May 4, 2007

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > Sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just in case anyone was wondering whether the Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone)
    >> is
    >> as good as the Pentax version, wonder no more - it's better.

    > [..]
    >
    > Does it have the firmware to control the SDM autofocus in the new DA*
    > lenses?<<

    I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives all
    the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.

    Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter of
    2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously means
    that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    Sam, May 4, 2007
  4. Sam

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Sam <> wrote:

    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    > > Sam <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Just in case anyone was wondering whether the Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone)
    > >> is
    > >> as good as the Pentax version, wonder no more - it's better.

    > > [..]
    > >
    > > Does it have the firmware to control the SDM autofocus in the new DA*
    > > lenses?<<

    > I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives all
    > the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.
    >
    > Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter of
    > 2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously means
    > that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    website.

    By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    know).

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html

    Paul Mitchum, May 4, 2007
  5. Sam

    timeOday Guest

    I didn't even know Samsung made digital cameras. Samsung has really
    been on the rise over the last few years, I think they're the next Sony.

    timeOday, May 4, 2007
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "timeOday" <> wrote in message
    >I didn't even know Samsung made digital cameras. Samsung has really been
    >on the rise over the last few years, I think they're the next Sony.

    They've made point & shoot models for a number of years but their DSLR's
    have, so far, been confined to re-badged Pentax models - *ist DS, *ist DL.

    The GX10 is 99% Pentax K10D, but has a very slightly different body shape
    and Samsung's own firmware (which, presumably, is where the IQ improvements
    come from)

    Actually, the K10D would probably never have existed at all had it not been
    for Samsung's research and development money which became available to
    Pentax after their collaboration announcement a couple of years ago. I know
    that many Pentax owners are a bit sniffy about Samsung - perceiving them to
    be 'not a real camera company' - but it's likely that in the long run
    Samsung will be a dominant force in DSLR's, and will probably be standing
    long after Pentax has vanished except in name only.

    Samsung have recently developed their own CMOS chip, which is likely to
    appear in their next DSLR offering, which will be an in-house Samsung design
    (probably still keeping the K-mount, though.

    Phew, that's enough banging the drum for the Koreans ;), all I really know
    for sure is that the GX-10 is better than the K10D I previously owned, and
    gives some *very* nice images for a relatively modest outlay. That'll do me
    ;)

    Sam, May 4, 2007
  7. Sam

    > Sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    >> > [..]
    >> >
    >> > Does it have the firmware to control the SDM autofocus in the new DA*
    >> > lenses?<<

    >> I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives all
    >> the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.
    >>
    >> Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter
    >> of
    >> 2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously
    >> means
    >> that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    > website.<

    Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR market.

    In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
    Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted upon
    a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body drive
    for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will not
    allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses

    > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    > know).<<

    OK - how do you know ;)

    Sam, May 4, 2007
  8. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    LOL.

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  9. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    >> Sam <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    Possibly but no way to confirm yet unless you have one of the new lenses.
    1.2 allows compatibility with Remote Assistant 3 on the Pentax cameras,
    great tool for tethered shooting.

    >>> I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives
    >>> all
    >>> the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.

    Wireless flash has been available since 1.10, what Samsung flashes are you
    using?

    >>> Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter
    >>> of
    >>> 2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously
    >>> means
    >>> that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    >> Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    >> in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    >> the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    >> to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    >> website.<

    > Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    > expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR market.
    >
    > In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    > requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,

    Rubbish, this is market driven because the big players have in lens motors.

    > Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    > upon a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body
    > drive for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will
    > not allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
    >

    >> By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    >> know).<<

    > OK - how do you know ;)

    Everyone has known for weeks.

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  10. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    > LOL.<

    ....and the joke is?....

    Sam, May 4, 2007
  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    > Wireless flash has been available since 1.10, what Samsung flashes are you
    > using?<<

    I've bought the Samsung SEF-36PXF, which is an identical clone of the Pentax
    AF-360FGZ. It cost £99.99, unlike the Pentax version which goes for between
    £150 - £200.

    >> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    >> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,

    > Rubbish, this is market driven because the big players have in lens
    > motors.<

    'Rubbish'? - try not to be so agressive. I, personally, have little doubt
    that in-lens motors were Samsung's idea - they know what the market wants,
    unlike Pentax who were obliged to constantly reissue dismal variations of
    their 6mp *istD until Samsung put some money into the pot.

    I daresay that, if not for the need by Pentax to support existing lenses,
    Samsung would have gone for in-lens drive from the outset.

    >> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    >> upon a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body
    >> drive for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will
    >> not allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses

    > Everyone has known for weeks.

    Endless product delays are another Pentax specialty (645D, anyone?....) -
    perhaps, this time, prompted by the fact that they are on the brink of going
    out of the camera business for good.

    Samsung will still be around though ;)

    Sam, May 4, 2007
  12. Sam

    Charlie Self Guest

    On May 4, 3:06�am, "Sam" <> wrote:
    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > > Sam <> wrote:

    > >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > >> I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives all
    > >> the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.

    > >> Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first quarter
    > >> of
    > >> 2007' - so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously
    > >> means
    > >> that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    > > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    > > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    > > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    > > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    > > website.<

    > Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    > expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR market.
    >
    > In fact, it's possible  that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    > requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
    > Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted upon
    > a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body drive
    > for legacy reasons.   If that's the case, there is no way they will not
    > allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
    >

    > > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    > > know).<<

    > OK - how do you know ;)- Hide quoted text -

    I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
    at B&H. Not for me.

    Charlie Self, May 4, 2007
  13. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> LOL.<

    > ...and the joke is?....

    CHeck out the original post, this guy is a goose or a twit, ot both.

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  14. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message

    > "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> Wireless flash has been available since 1.10, what Samsung flashes are
    >> you using?<<

    > I've bought the Samsung SEF-36PXF, which is an identical clone of the
    > Pentax AF-360FGZ. It cost £99.99, unlike the Pentax version which goes
    > for between £150 - £200.

    Identical clone??? LOL!

    >>> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    >>> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after
    >>> all,

    >> Rubbish, this is market driven because the big players have in lens
    >> motors.<

    > 'Rubbish'? - try not to be so agressive. I, personally, have little doubt
    > that in-lens motors were Samsung's idea - they know what the market wants,
    > unlike Pentax who were obliged to constantly reissue dismal variations of
    > their 6mp *istD until Samsung put some money into the pot.

    And all yours did not work properly?

    > I daresay that, if not for the need by Pentax to support existing lenses,
    > Samsung would have gone for in-lens drive from the outset.
    >

    >>> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    >>> upon a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the
    >>> body drive for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way
    >>> they will not allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses

    >> Everyone has known for weeks.

    > Endless product delays are another Pentax specialty (645D, anyone?....) -
    > perhaps, this time, prompted by the fact that they are on the brink of
    > going out of the camera business for good.

    Link to this "proof"??

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  15. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    On May 4, 3:06?am, "Sam" <> wrote:
    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > > Sam <> wrote:

    > >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > >> I don't know - I've put Samsung firmware 1.2 on it today, which gives
    > >> all
    > >> the current Pentax features, wireless flash, etc.

    > >> Samsung state that 'weather sealed lenses' are due 'in the first
    > >> quarter
    > >> of
    > >> 2007' -

    We seem to have passed that date, OMFG Sumsang is late with something!!!
    OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

    so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously
    > >> means
    > >> that it's almost certain that the firmware will support in-lens drive.

    > > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    > > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    > > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    > > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    > > website.<

    > Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    > expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR market.
    >
    > In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    > requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
    > Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    > upon
    > a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body drive
    > for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will not
    > allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
    >

    > > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    > > know).<<

    > OK - how do you know ;)- Hide quoted text -

    I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
    at B&H. Not for me.

    Your'e not going to let a few facts get in the way of a good story are you??
    LOL! And remember the Samsung is "noticably sharper".

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  16. Sam

    Pete D Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > On May 4, 3:06?am, "Sam" <> wrote:
    >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > We seem to have passed that date, OMFG Sumsang is late with something!!!
    > OMG, OMG, OMG!!!
    >
    > so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously

    >> > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    >> > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    >> > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    >> > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    >> > website.<

    >> Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    >> expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR
    >> market.
    >>
    >> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    >> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
    >> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    >> upon
    >> a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body
    >> drive
    >> for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will not
    >> allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
    >>

    >> > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    >> > know).<<

    >> OK - how do you know ;)- Hide quoted text -

    > I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    > body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
    > at B&H. Not for me.
    >
    > Your'e not going to let a few facts get in the way of a good story are
    > you?? LOL! And remember the Samsung is "noticably sharper".

    And don't forget to factor in double the cost for the GZ-10's memory cos the
    DNGs are twice as big. Bugger!!

    Pete D, May 4, 2007
  17. Sam

    John Bean Guest

    On 4 May 2007 04:36:33 -0700, Charlie Self
    <> wrote:
    >I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    >body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
    >at B&H. Not for me.

    Charlie, the OP is quoting UK prices so I assume he's in the
    UK. Samsung sells for a *much* lower price than Pentax in
    the UK, not the other way around as it seems to be in the
    US.

    That's why I have a Samsung SA50-200 rather than a Pentax
    DA50-200 on my DS.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, May 4, 2007
  18. Sam

    Charlie Self Guest

    On May 4, 9:02�am, John Bean <> wrote:
    > On 4 May 2007 04:36:33 -0700, Charlie Self
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    > >body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000.  That's
    > >at B&H. Not for me.

    > Charlie, the OP is quoting UK prices so I assume he's in the
    > UK. Samsung sells for a *much* lower price than Pentax in
    > the UK, not the other way around as it seems to be in the
    > US.
    >
    > That's why I have a Samsung SA50-200 rather than a Pentax
    > DA50-200 on my DS.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    John: Is the swing that great? When the rebate is knocked off, we're
    talking about a $200 difference for essentially the same product.
    Certainly, if I could get a GX10 for $200 less than the Pentax, I'd be
    at least poised to leap, even though I don't really have the hots for
    either one...but at $600!

    Of course, the OP was writing about either pounds or euros, both of
    which are worth more than the buck. And his cost was $1,195. Argh!
    Ouch. That's my wallet screaming in commiseration. I'm complaining
    about, essentially, an $825 K10D. I apologize.

    Charlie Self, May 4, 2007
  19. Sam

    John Bean Guest

    On 4 May 2007 06:15:08 -0700, Charlie Self
    <> wrote:

    >On May 4, 9:02?am, John Bean <> wrote:
    >> On 4 May 2007 04:36:33 -0700, Charlie Self
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    >> >body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. hat's
    >> >at B&H. Not for me.

    >> Charlie, the OP is quoting UK prices so I assume he's in the
    >> UK. Samsung sells for a *much* lower price than Pentax in
    >> the UK, not the other way around as it seems to be in the
    >> US.
    >>
    >> That's why I have a Samsung SA50-200 rather than a Pentax
    >> DA50-200 on my DS.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Bean

    >John: Is the swing that great? When the rebate is knocked off, we're
    >talking about a $200 difference for essentially the same product.

    We have no rebates :-(

    There's a lot of variation but taking a single supplier who
    sells both the Samsung "kit" will sell for about the same
    price as the Pentax body, so you basically get the lenses
    free. The kit lenses are not cheap in the UK, I paid £129
    for my Samsung 50-200, the Pentax was £169 - that's over
    $300... So yes, you could easily save the equivalent of $200
    in the UK by buying a Samsung rather than Pentax, depending
    on what kit you buy.

    >Certainly, if I could get a GX10 for $200 less than the Pentax, I'd be
    >at least poised to leap, even though I don't really have the hots for
    >either one...but at $600!
    >
    >Of course, the OP was writing about either pounds or euros, both of
    >which are worth more than the buck. And his cost was $1,195. Argh!
    >Ouch. That's my wallet screaming in commiseration. I'm complaining
    >about, essentially, an $825 K10D. I apologize.

    Yep, that's the way it is. After saving your $200 equivalent
    by buying Samsung instead of Pentax here in the UK you would
    still be paying $200 more than US prices for Pentax. It's a
    funny old world.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, May 4, 2007
  20. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message

    > "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > On May 4, 3:06?am, "Sam" <> wrote:
    >> "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > We seem to have passed that date, OMFG Sumsang is late with something!!!
    > OMG, OMG, OMG!!!
    >
    > so that obviously means the new DA*'s, which in turn obviously

    >> > Well, no it doesn't mean that at all. The DA* lenses can also use the
    >> > in-camera motor, and I can imagine Pentax wanting their brand to have
    >> > the super-cool feature set that Samsung/Schneider doesn't. It'd be nice
    >> > to know for sure, but I can't even find the cameras on Samsung's
    >> > website.<

    >> Maybe, but I doubt if Samsung will lose that advantage, given their
    >> expressed corporate intention to become a major player in the DSLR
    >> market.
    >>
    >> In fact, it's possible that the 'in lens motor' concept was a Samsung
    >> requirement at the planning stage of the K10D - GX10 - it was, after all,
    >> Samsung's cash that made it possible, and they might well have insisted
    >> upon
    >> a more up to date drive system, while Pentax wanted to keep the body
    >> drive
    >> for legacy reasons. If that's the case, there is no way they will not
    >> allow their own GX-10 to support the new lenses
    >>

    >> > By the way, the DA* ship date has been moved to August (ask me how I
    >> > know).<<

    >> OK - how do you know ;)- Hide quoted text -

    > I just checked U.S. prices for the K10D and the Samsung. Straight
    > body, K10D is $850 (minus 50 buck rebate), Samsung is $1000. That's
    > at B&H. Not for me.
    >
    > Your'e not going to let a few facts get in the way of a good story are
    > you?? LOL! And remember the Samsung is "noticably sharper".

    OK - so we've established that you are a supercilious prick, and you want a
    flame war.

    I'm your man.

    Go for it, Monkey

    Sam, May 4, 2007