    Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jul 5, 2013

  2. Sandman

    dj_nme Guest

    On 5/07/2013 11:30 PM, Sandman wrote:
    > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
    > girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
    >
    > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
    > Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
    > iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
    > game here.
    >
    > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
    >
    > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
    > in this price range.
    >
    > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    What about a Pentax Q7?
    It's really tiny: some promo photos of it show it attached to some-ones
    keychain along with the rest of their keys.
    The Pentax website has that colour choosing thing and it seem to cost
    about USD $500 with a kit-lens.
    The Samsung Galaxy Camera looked intriguing to me, until it was pointed
    out that it wasn't actually a phone with a huge camera module, but a
    just a camera running Android OS with WiFi networking built in.

    dj_nme, Jul 6, 2013

  3. Sandman

    MC Guest

    Sandman wrote:

    > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The
    > sales girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust
    > them.
    >
    > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my
    > wife's Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture
    > quality. My iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about
    > stepping up the game here.
    >
    > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
    >
    > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at
    > currently in this price range.
    >
    > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    I always thought of it as a "lady's" camera, to put in the handbag.
    However, this then makes it pointless because they already have
    one...their phone.
    The Samsung Galaxy camera certainly does not sit between your P&S and
    your wife's Nikon D80. It sits somewhere between your wife's mobile
    phone and your P&S.

    MC

    MC, Jul 6, 2013
  4. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > Sandman wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The
    > > sales girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust
    > > them.
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my
    > > wife's Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture
    > > quality. My iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about
    > > stepping up the game here.
    > >
    > > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
    > >
    > > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at
    > > currently in this price range.
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    > I always thought of it as a "lady's" camera, to put in the handbag.
    > However, this then makes it pointless because they already have
    > one...their phone.
    > The Samsung Galaxy camera certainly does not sit between your P&S and
    > your wife's Nikon D80. It sits somewhere between your wife's mobile
    > phone and your P&S.

    There are four Galaxy cameras. Three of them connect to the cell
    network--add Skype and they're phones. One of them is an
    interchangeable-lens mirrorless. Where they sit depends on which model.

    J. Clarke, Jul 6, 2013
  5. Sandman

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>,
    Sandman <> wrote:
    >Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
    >girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
    >
    >I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
    >Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
    >iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
    >game here.
    >
    >Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
    >
    >So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
    >in this price range.
    >
    >Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    The first Samsung Galaxy Camera I got a hit on was a 1/2.3" compact
    superzoom with a lot of computing ability and too many megapixels on
    the sensor. You could probably do better optically with a Lumix FZ150
    or FZ200; the latter boasts a constant f/2.8 aperture across its zoom
    range.

    The more advanced Samsung Galaxy is a MILC. There are more lenses
    available for the micro four thirds system that for any one of the
    brands of MILC that do not share their standard.

    --
    Please reply to: |"We establish no religion in this country, we command
    pciszek at panix | no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever.
    Autoreply disabled | --Ronald Reagan, October 26, 1984

    Paul Ciszek, Jul 10, 2013
  6. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    On Saturday, July 6, 2013 1:35:59 AM UTC-4, dj_nme wrote:
    > On 5/07/2013 11:30 PM, Sandman wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales

    > > girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.

    > > I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's

    > > Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My

    > > iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the

    > > game here.

    > > Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.

    > > So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently

    > > in this price range.

    > > Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    > What about a Pentax Q7?
    >
    > It's really tiny: some promo photos of it show it attached to some-ones
    >
    > keychain along with the rest of their keys.
    >
    > The Pentax website has that colour choosing thing and it seem to cost
    >
    > about USD $500 with a kit-lens.
    >
    > The Samsung Galaxy Camera looked intriguing to me, until it was pointed
    >
    > out that it wasn't actually a phone with a huge camera module, but a
    >
    > just a camera running Android OS with WiFi networking built in.

    Trouble is, the build quality of the Q10 and 7 are marked step down from the original Q. Despite the sensor's possible improvement.

    RichA, Jul 10, 2013
  7. Sandman

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <krioag$lh4$>, says...

    > In article <>,
    > Sandman <> wrote:
    > >Anyone got any advice about this fixed lens, mirror less camera? The sales
    > >girl at the superstore seemed to like it, but I rarely trust them.
    > >
    > >I'm looking for a vacation camera that fits between my P&S and my wife's
    > >Nikon D80. Something that's quick enough and has good picture quality. My
    > >iPhone filled that gap earlier, but I was thinking about stepping up the
    > >game here.
    > >
    > >Exchangeable lenses might also be interesting, but not crucial.
    > >
    > >So it's the Samsung Galaxy Camera, the Sony NEX5 I'm looking at currently
    > >in this price range.
    > >
    > >Any other suggestions/thoughts?

    > The first Samsung Galaxy Camera I got a hit on was a 1/2.3" compact
    > superzoom with a lot of computing ability and too many megapixels on
    > the sensor. You could probably do better optically with a Lumix FZ150
    > or FZ200; the latter boasts a constant f/2.8 aperture across its zoom
    > range.
    >
    > The more advanced Samsung Galaxy is a MILC. There are more lenses
    > available for the micro four thirds system that for any one of the
    > brands of MILC that do not share their standard.

    It's actually kind of surprising how well micro 4/3 is doing in that
    regard--B&H lists 101 lenses for that system, including 4/3 lenses that
    work with full function with an adapter.

    However they list more than 200 that work with the EOS-M mount, most of
    them regular EOS lenses that work with full function with an adapter.
    The Canon M body though seems to be a bit of a dog in its current form.

    J. Clarke, Jul 10, 2013