Samsung DVD-P721M Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rhino, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    I am trying to determine which region(s) are supported by my Samsung
    DVD-P721M DVD player. It was purchased here in Canada so it may be a Region
    1 only machine - or not.

    According to the manual: "Play Region Number: The Region Number for this
    player is described on the rear panel of the player." Unfortunately, I
    cannot find any indication of a Region number anywhere on the player itself,
    including on the back. I've looked twice, very closely, and if its there, it
    must be written in invisible ink.

    However, just above that in the manual, in a section called 'Disc Markings',
    it has some logos. The first two of these logos are pictures of globes with
    lines of latitude and longitude: the first logo has the number one on it,
    then there is a dash between the first logo and the second logo and the
    second logo has a 6 on it. The caption below these logos says "Play Region
    Number". I am really hoping that this means the player can play disks from
    Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 but I don't want to jump to conclusions since I
    don't know that for sure. For all I know, "1-6" means that it plays only
    Regions 1 *and* 6, not Regions 1 *thru* 6. Remember, I need to play Region
    2.

    I've tried searching for the product specs at the Samsung site but it
    doesn't say anything about Region support.

    Can anyone who owns this machine confirm that it will play Region 1 and 2
    disks??

    If not, can anyone tell me some way to be sure that it does?

    I want to buy some Region 2 movies to play for my mother but I don't want to
    buy them unless I know I can play them.

    According to a Google search I did, her DVD player, a Toshiba SD-2800, needs
    a firmware upgrade before it can play a Region 2 disk. That sounds ugly and
    expensive so it would be terrific if my Samsung could actually play a Region
    2 disk without needing alterations.

    --
    Rhino
    ---

    Rhino, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Rhino

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Rhino wrote:

    > I am trying to determine which region(s) are supported by my Samsung
    > DVD-P721M DVD player. It was purchased here in Canada so it may be a Region
    > 1 only machine - or not.

    Have a look at
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Samsung DVD P721M

    Pretty convulated method, but may be worth a try.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 4, 2004