Samsung DVD-P721M Player won't load

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rhino, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    My Samsung DVD-P721M DVD player has stopped working properly. I need some
    guidance to see if there is anything I can do to make it work again without
    sending it out for service. It's not under warranty any more.

    Okay, here's the story.

    A few days ago, I tried to watch Yes Prime Minister, Disk Two, for the first
    time. The disc loaded okay, I selected the first episode from the menu, and
    the episode started. Less than 10 seconds into the episode, the display
    froze and nothing I could do would get the picture to advance. I thought
    that doing an Open/Close on the drawer and then starting to view the episode
    from the beginning might resolve the problem so I opened the drawer (with
    the remote) and then closed it again. The display said "LOADING" but
    wouldn't get past that point; no matter how long I waited, it continued to
    say "LOADING" but never finished and never ejected the disk.

    Since then, I have tried all of the following with no change in the
    behaviour of the machine; it always accepts the disk, it always displays
    - I used a lens cleaner (dry) to try to clean the lens. The brand was Intec
    and the label says "Laser Lens Cleaner".
    - I used several blasts of compressed air from an aerosol can to try to
    dislodge any dust. The brand was Falcon and the label says "Dust-off".
    - I used the lens cleaner with a wee bit of cleaning solution dabbed onto
    the brushes. The label on the cleaning solution says "DVD and CD Cleaning
    Liquid" and the active ingredient is 2-Propanol.
    - I unplugged the player for several minutes and plugged it back in again,
    in the hope that this would case an electronic reset of the components.
    - I have tried several other disks, including ones that had played
    successfully before this problem arose, and none of them get past "LOADING"
    now.

    I can't think of anything else to try so I was wondering if anyone was aware
    of anything else that an end user without skill in electronics could try to
    revive this machine. Maybe there's a way to reset the machine by pushing 5
    different buttons on the remote in the while standing on my head and
    reciting the Koran backwards or something....

    I should mention a couple of things since they may be relevant:

    1. We are in the midst of a major heatwave here and the highs have been
    above 30C since before the DVD player started experiencing problems. (It is
    also very humid here and I have no airconditioning or dehumidifier.) It
    seems entirely possible to me that the player has suffered the electronic
    equivalent of heatstroke. [My computer was also having problems that appear
    to be heat-related but I have an extra fan blowing into the case now; the
    CPU and system temperatures now seem acceptable and the computer is behaving
    okay. None of my other electronics, including TV, VCR, stereo, or microwave
    is having any problems.]

    2. This player has always been pretty reliable in the past. The only real
    problem I ever had with it before was that the player froze on Homicide:
    Life on the Streets Season 5, Disk 1, episode 1 a few weeks back: I can't
    remember if that was before our previous heat wave or not; I think it was
    but could be mistaken. In that case, I opened and closed the drawer, then
    positioned myself to shortly before the point where the episode froze and
    then fast-forwarded over it. This was successful and I had no other
    problems.

    --
    Rhino
    ---
    Rhino, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Rhino

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > has suffered the electronic equivalent of heatstroke. [My computer
    > was also having problems that appear to be heat-related but I have an
    > extra fan blowing into the case now; the CPU and system temperatures
    > now seem acceptable and the computer is behaving okay. None of my
    > other electronics, including TV, VCR, stereo, or microwave is having
    > any problems.]
    >
    > 2. This player has always been pretty reliable in the past. The only
    > real problem I ever had with it before was that the player froze on
    > Homicide: Life on the Streets Season 5, Disk 1, episode 1 a few weeks
    > back: I can't remember if that was before our previous heat wave or
    > not; I think it was but could be mistaken. In that case, I opened and
    > closed the drawer, then positioned myself to shortly before the point
    > where the episode froze and then fast-forwarded over it. This was

    Sounds to me like it's beyond hope, but it may be possible to adjust the
    laser so that it works. You might have better luck with your question in
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Jun 29, 2005

  3. I have cleaned the lenses of several DVD and CD players that have had
    the problem you describe and was able to fix all of them.

    The lens cleaner discs are worthless.

    The trick to doing this properly is that you must disassemble the
    machine and clean the lens using a cotton swab with a little isopropyl
    alcohol. Do NOT use rubbing alcohol. To gain access to the lens, you may
    have to remove the assembly above it that holds the disc in place, but
    this is usually as simple as removing a few screws. If you do have to
    remove this part, clean the hub that contacts the disc as well.

    Installation is the reverse of removal ; )

    --
    My DVD collection:
    http://www.geocities.com/nmzdfilms/dvdlibrary.html

    Noise is a byproduct of inefficiency.
    Neo Maxi Zoom Dweeby, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    The machine is useless the way it is so I guess I've got nothing to lose by
    trying this....

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Jun 30, 2005