    See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an

    Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    Andy, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Andy

    iws Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns980FB03FC338574C1H4@127.0.0.1...
    > Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    > "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for £184.
    >
    > See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    > 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    Here's a review:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/digimax_v700.html The conclusion
    suggests it's "a mixed bag."

    Not sure what it offers over the cheaper Canon A620 http://tinyurl.com/hoge6
    The latter may be a bit larger but it offers a swivelling LCD.

    iws, Jul 29, 2006

  3. In message <%fMyg.166724$k%3.77552@dukeread12>, iws <>
    writes

    >The latter may be a bit larger but it offers a swivelling LCD.

    Hear, hear - an extremely useful feature in compacts.
    --
    David

    David Livingstone, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    On 29 Jul 2006, iws<> wrote:

    > "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >> Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    >> "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for œ184.
    >>
    >> See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >>
    >> Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away
    >> his old 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    > Here's a review:
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/digimax_v700.html The
    > conclusion suggests it's "a mixed bag."
    >
    > Not sure what it offers over the cheaper Canon A620
    > http://tinyurl.com/hoge6 The latter may be a bit larger but it
    > offers a swivelling LCD.

    What is the difference between:

    (1) the Canon A series such as the PowerShot A620 at
    http://snipurl.com/u2an

    (2) the Canon S series such as the Powershot S60 at
    http://snipurl.com/u2sd

    (3) the Canon IXUS series such as the IXUS 60 at
    http://snipurl.com/u2si

    I think I need a look-up table for all these Canon models!
    Anyone know one?

    Andy, Jul 29, 2006
  5. Andy

    noman Guest

    noman, Jul 30, 2006
  6. Andy

    nonameman Guest

    In news:Xns980FF21B7CDB374C1H4@127.0.0.1,
    Andy <> typed:
    > On 29 Jul 2006, iws<> wrote:
    >

    >> "Andy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    >>> "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for o184.
    >>>
    >>> See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >>>
    >>> Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away
    >>> his old 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    >> Here's a review:
    >> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/digimax_v700.html The
    >> conclusion suggests it's "a mixed bag."
    >>
    >> Not sure what it offers over the cheaper Canon A620
    >> http://tinyurl.com/hoge6 The latter may be a bit larger but it
    >> offers a swivelling LCD.

    > What is the difference between:
    >
    > (1) the Canon A series such as the PowerShot A620 at
    > http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > (2) the Canon S series such as the Powershot S60 at
    > http://snipurl.com/u2sd
    >
    > (3) the Canon IXUS series such as the IXUS 60 at
    > http://snipurl.com/u2si
    >

    > I think I need a look-up table for all these Canon models!
    > Anyone know one?

    try the 'compare' function at dpreview.com ...though they may not have all
    the models.

    Buying Guide / Side-by-Side

    nonameman, Jul 30, 2006
  7. Andy

    Jim Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    > "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for £184.
    >
    > See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    > 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    Saw this advert on Kelkoo when I searched for the V700
    £139.00 + £3.50 delivery
    Jim.

    Jim, Jul 30, 2006
  8. Andy

    Andy Guest

    On 30 Jul 2006, noman<> wrote:

    > http://www.dcviews.co.uk/cameras.htm

    That's a nice list but unfortunately it doesn't explain the Canon
    lettering in their model names.

    Andy, Jul 30, 2006
  9. Andy

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:48:00 +0100, Andy wrote:

    > What is the difference between:
    >
    > (1) the Canon A series such as the PowerShot A620 at
    > (2) the Canon S series such as the Powershot S60 at
    > (3) the Canon IXUS series such as the IXUS 60 at

    I'm not very familiar with the IXUS series, but I believe that
    they're usually *very* small pocketable cameras, perhaps lacking
    some of the features of the Powershots. I had some early S series
    Powershots though, and they had none of the more sophisticated
    features of the S50, S60, S70, and S80. Think of the "A" in the A
    series as indicating that they can be used with "A"lkaline "AA"
    batteries. The S series Powershots and IXUS cameras use
    rechargeable lithium batteries. The S series cameras are perhaps
    sleeker than the A series, but only the boxier A series cameras (I
    think) can accept add-on wide and tele lens adapters, and some A
    series models have the very useful tilting and swiveling LCD
    displays.

    The G6 is the most recent G series Canon, but they haven't been
    upgraded in a long time, so I can't say whether they're the last of
    their line or not. They're similar to the A series, but larger,
    boxier, have really nice larger aperture lenses, Li-Ion batteries
    and possibly the most sophisticated features of this bunch. As far
    as producing the highest quality images, I'd rank the G6 at the top
    and the IXUS line at the bottom. Not that the IXUS cameras don't
    produce good images, but the G6 does better. I doubt that the G6
    has the latest Canon processor, the Digic II, so the newer models in
    the A series (A520, A530, A610, A620, A700) are probably quicker and
    more responsive in several ways. Lastly, even if cheap alkaline AA
    batteries are used in the A series cameras instead of rechargeable
    NiMH batteries, they last a very long time. There are several
    people in this ng that have reported being able to take many
    hundreds of shots over several months without having to replace the
    batteries with a new set.

    ASAAR, Jul 30, 2006
  10. Andy

    paul Guest

    this is the cannon site to look at any of there stuff
    http://www.canon.co.uk/ after putting my old slr away, i bought a cannon
    350D slr, found it great just to carry around when out walking dog

    paul, Jul 30, 2006
  11. Andy

    Mad Ad Guest

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    > "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for £184.
    >
    > See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    > 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    Having used digital compacts for a while now, it becomes clear that there is
    no replacement for a decent sized objective lens, no matter if its digital
    or film. Since CCDs (the eye) tend to suffer more in darker conditions when
    comparing dig>dig then the camera with a larger lens will usually perform
    slighly better.

    Ad

    Mad Ad, Jul 30, 2006
  12. Andy

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Samsung Digimax V700 - is this a good camera at=?iso-8859-1?Q?=A3184?= (UK)?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.photography.]
    On 2006-07-29, Andy <> wrote:
    > Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    > "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for £184.
    >
    > See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    > 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    I've had some good results with mine; the optical viewfinder is a good
    feature, although it doesn't show all of what will be in the image. The
    full manual settings are also well worth having, although no-where near the
    precision you get with a fully manual 35mm camera.

    The lens is pretty good for a digital compact; there is significant barrel
    or pincushion distortion at the edges, depending on the 'zoom' setting, and
    of course the maximum aperture limits low-light options - but the 'self
    timer' and a steady support can cover a lot of situations.

    There is no external 'flash' connector, and the optional 'remote control'
    only works from in front of the camera (so I haven't bothered to buy one).
    There is also no cable-release connector - I'm on the lookout for a
    suitable adaptor to overcome that lack.

    The tiny image area means you have very short focal lengths and therefore
    much greater depth of field than with a proper 35mm camera. That can be
    both an advantage and a disadvantage, of course (and goes for any digital
    compact).

    You will need to get at least one additional SD card, especially if you
    want to use the TIFF file format.

    The camera fits easily into a pocket and is reasonably quick to get into
    action.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 30, 2006
  13. Andy

    b Guest

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_Samsung_Digimax_V700_-_is_this_a_good_camera_at_=A3184_(UK)=3F?=

    Andy ha escrito:

    > Am in the UK and I see Amazon UK are selling a
    > "Samsung Digimax V700" camera for £184.
    >
    > See here: http://snipurl.com/u2an
    >
    > Is this a bargain for a new digital camera user who has put away his old
    > 35mm SLRs because they are too cumbersome.

    http://www.rankhour.com/details.php?pid=5661005612562772&caid=2&cbid=9&ccid=62

    the canon a700 has me interested. Has tv out connection, a bigger
    lens, 6x zoom (optical) and a few other tempting bits and pieces...only
    drawback is you'd have to get another memory card instead of the puny
    16mb that comes with it...anyone have experience with this one?
    -B

    b, Jul 31, 2006