Samsung comes out with dual format HD optical disc player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by kimhalljp@gmail.com, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 29, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    > disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >
    > http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    And when they announced this back in April (as dated on the article), I
    remember thinking, "Cool!...Now I can go Blu-Ray and STILL watch those
    HD disks!"

    Derek Janssen (hopes/priorities may be subject to change by fall '07)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 29, 2007

  3. Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:23:12 -0400, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>
    >> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    > And when they announced this back in April (as dated on the article), I
    > remember thinking, "Cool!...Now I can go Blu-Ray and STILL watch those
    > HD disks!"

    Surely you meant "still watch those HD DVDs," since BDs are HD discs as
    well. ;)

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 30, 2007
  4. Jay G. wrote:

    >>>Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >>>disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>>
    >>>http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    >>And when they announced this back in April (as dated on the article), I
    >>remember thinking, "Cool!...Now I can go Blu-Ray and STILL watch those
    >>HD disks!"

    > Surely you meant "still watch those HD DVDs," since BDs are HD discs as
    > well. ;)

    Er, yes, meant, "Wow, now I won't have to worry about all those
    competing HD-DVD titles that'll be coming out over the next few years!",
    and, uh.... 6_6

    Derek Janssen (well, guess I can relax that worry)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 30, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    > Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    > disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >
    > http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.

    By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    debuts at $1000?!?!

    -Eric

    , Jul 3, 2007
  6. <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    >> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>
    >> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    > The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    > ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    > separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    > you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    > two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.
    >
    > By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    > to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    > debuts at $1000?!?!
    >
    > -Eric

    I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    having no interactive HD DVD content menus.

    It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    playback capabilities.

    Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    playback?

    One Shot Scot, Jul 4, 2007
  7. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "One Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    >>> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >>> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>>
    >>> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    >> The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    >> ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    >> separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    >> you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    >> two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.
    >>
    >> By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    >> to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    >> debuts at $1000?!?!
    >>
    >> -Eric

    >I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    >Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    >having no interactive HD DVD content menus.
    >
    >It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    >playback capabilities.
    >
    >Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    >playback?

    The LG unit was primarily marketed towards those who have bought a few HD
    titles but wanted to go blue ray and not loose out on playing the few HD-DVD
    titles they own.

    GMAN, Jul 4, 2007
  8. On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:17:24 -0700, "One Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    >>> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >>> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>>
    >>> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    >> The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    >> ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    >> separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    >> you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    >> two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.
    >>
    >> By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    >> to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    >> debuts at $1000?!?!
    >>
    >> -Eric

    >I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    >Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    >having no interactive HD DVD content menus.
    >
    >It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    >playback capabilities.
    >
    >Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    >playback?

    Use a little common sense. Do you actually think they would put
    themselves through the same thing LG went through over non-compliance?

    Spurious Response, Jul 4, 2007
  9. On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:47:37 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, "One Shot Scot" <> wrote:
    >><> wrote in message

    >>> The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    >>> ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    >>> separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    >>> you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    >>> two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.
    >>>
    >>> By the time this Samsung model comes out, HD-DVD players with be down
    >>> to $300 and Blu-ray players at $450. So what use will it be if it
    >>> debuts at $1000?!?!
    >>>
    >>> -Eric

    >>I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    >>Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    >>having no interactive HD DVD content menus.
    >>
    >>It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    >>playback capabilities.
    >>
    >>Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    >>playback?
    >>

    >The LG unit was primarily marketed towards those who have bought a few HD
    >titles but wanted to go blue ray and not loose out on playing the few HD-DVD
    >titles they own.

    Pure bullshit speculation. They wanted to market a dual mode player,
    period. You can bet any future model they make will carry a fully
    compliant HD DVD capacity.

    Spurious Response, Jul 4, 2007
  10. Jay G. Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:14:05 -0700, wrote:

    > On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    >> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>
    >> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    > The problem with these "dual format" players is that, so far, all the
    > ones released or announced have cost way more than just buying
    > separate players. For the price of one of the LG dual format players,
    > you could buy a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD-DVD add-on and not only have
    > two players, but also two next-gen videogame systems.

    Well, at the moment, it's only speculation that Samsung's player will cost
    either more than or the same as buying two separate players.

    However, even if it does, there are at least a few customers for whom
    having the functionality of both formats in one player outstrips the cost.
    Eventually, the cost of the dual-format players will drop in price until
    they are comparatively speaking not much more than a single-format player
    until, as with most PC DVD burners these days and the DVD-R and DVD+R
    formats, it doesn't make sense to make hardware that's *not* dual-format.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 5, 2007
  11. Jay G. Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:17:24 -0700, One Shot Scot wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Jun 29, 1:15 pm, wrote:
    >>> Samsung Electronics now came up with another product after a Blu-ray
    >>> disc player. I saw the details of the same at
    >>>
    >>> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/127.htm

    > Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    > playback?

    From the original article:
    "Samsung¬Ęs Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and
    Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java."

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jul 5, 2007
  12. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, TransmitOnly wrote:
    >On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:47:37 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, "One Shot Scot"

    > <> wrote:
    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>I have read that the LG BH100 (a so-called "dual format" player) has full
    >>>Blu-ray play capabilities, but lacks full HD feature implementation, such as
    >>>having no interactive HD DVD content menus.
    >>>
    >>>It doesn't make sense to pay a third more for a combo player with crippled
    >>>playback capabilities.
    >>>
    >>>Does the "dual-format" Samsung player have compromised Blu-ray and/or HD DVD
    >>>playback?
    >>>

    >>The LG unit was primarily marketed towards those who have bought a few HD
    >>titles but wanted to go blue ray and not loose out on playing the few HD-DVD
    >>titles they own.

    > Pure bullshit speculation. They wanted to market a dual mode player,
    >period. You can bet any future model they make will carry a fully
    >compliant HD DVD capacity.

    Arrogant little ass!

    GMAN, Jul 7, 2007
  13. On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:45:18 GMT, (GMAN)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, TransmitOnly wrote:
    >>On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:47:37 GMT, (GMAN)
    >>wrote:

    >>>The LG unit was primarily marketed towards those who have bought a few HD
    >>>titles but wanted to go blue ray and not loose out on playing the few HD-DVD
    >>>titles they own.

    >> Pure bullshit speculation. They wanted to market a dual mode player,
    >>period. You can bet any future model they make will carry a fully
    >>compliant HD DVD capacity.

    >Arrogant little ass!

    I think it is more than a little arrogant of you to expound your
    bullshit into a thread as if to be some expert on a subject, making
    purely speculative claims about something of which you are obviously
    uninformed. Twits like you make it hard to educate the masses on the
    realities of the electronics industry, because twits like you are always
    making bullshit remarks that result in there being more twits like you
    around. Thanks, twit.

    Spurious Response, Jul 8, 2007
  14. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, TransmitOnly wrote:
    >On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:45:18 GMT, (GMAN)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, TransmitOnly wrote:

    > as

    > DVD

    >>> Pure bullshit speculation. They wanted to market a dual mode player,
    >>>period. You can bet any future model they make will carry a fully
    >>>compliant HD DVD capacity.

    >>Arrogant little ass!

    > I think it is more than a little arrogant of you to expound your
    >bullshit into a thread as if to be some expert on a subject, making
    >purely speculative claims about something of which you are obviously
    >uninformed. Twits like you make it hard to educate the masses on the
    >realities of the electronics industry, because twits like you are always
    >making bullshit remarks that result in there being more twits like you
    >around. Thanks, twit.

    Asshole

    You are the one who pretends to be some kind of expert and puts anyone else
    down who disagrees with you.

    GMAN, Jul 9, 2007