    The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    > The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    > erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    > of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    eh?! weird... I'd have thought it was a software limitation... what
    software are you using?

    I have had a DVD drive in the past that stopped reading dvds... it's
    still fine for CDs so I still use it.

    I have a CDRW that is fine, and has been for ~4 years now.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 12, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    >
    >The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    >erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    >of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    Yes they have my CRAP mark..

    Karen Parker, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:43:41 +1200, Karen Parker <
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    >>
    >>The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    >>erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    >>of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    >Yes they have my CRAP mark..

    Almost everything does.

    Invisible, Sep 13, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    >
    > The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
    > ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
    > various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I had one
    of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused to read/write CDs
    at all although it still read DVDs. I got a replacement under warranty that
    did exactly the same thing. I took that back and got the retailer to swap it
    for a Lite-on. The Lite-on is working perfectly.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford

    Jackson Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    > >
    > >The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    > >erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    > >of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    > Yes they have my CRAP mark..

    like yourself really. You have our CRAP mark you old twat.

    Jackson, Sep 13, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:59:41 +1200, "Jackson" <> wrote:

    >"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:53:08 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    >> >
    >> >The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the ability to
    >> >erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with various kinds
    >> >of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    >> Yes they have my CRAP mark..

    >like yourself really. You have our CRAP mark you old twat.

    Twat is a Pregnant Fish, I do not think I look like a Fish..

    Karen Parker, Sep 13, 2004
  8. In article <jC51d.1811$> in nz.comp on Mon, 13
    Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    > >
    > > The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
    > > ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
    > > various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    > As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I had one
    > of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused to read/write CDs
    > at all although it still read DVDs. I got a replacement under warranty that
    > did exactly the same thing. I took that back and got the retailer to swap it
    > for a Lite-on. The Lite-on is working perfectly.

    I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 15, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <jC51d.1811$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    > 13 Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>> Anyone want to venture an opinion on these?
    >>>
    >>> The one in the machine I'm working on doesn't seem to have the
    >>> ability to erase or rewrite CDRW discs, which is about on a par with
    >>> various kinds of cheap junk you can buy these days.

    >> As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I
    >> had one of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused
    >> to read/write CDs at all although it still read DVDs. I got a
    >> replacement under warranty that did exactly the same thing. I took
    >> that back and got the retailer to swap it for a Lite-on. The Lite-on
    >> is working perfectly.

    > I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

    Sorry, I don't know now. I took it back in the original box with the sofware
    etc. and I've just been through the filing cabinet but that didn't help. The
    day I bought it I originaly wanted a Lite-on and that's what's printed on
    their receipt (They were out of stock) with a line through it and their
    catalogue number for the Samsung written there instead. No model number

    I think, from memory, it was a 52x24x52x16 speed if that's any help. From my
    experience with that, and a little I found on the web/usenet archives about
    them I'd never buy a Samsung optical drive again, or at least unless they
    develop a reputation as being great over a few years. I also bought a
    Samsung Spinrite 80GB HDD for my girlfriend before we had problems with the
    optical drive. I hope that lasts better, although I've read a lot of good
    reviews of their HDDs so fingers crossed.

    Wohoo!!! I just tried something, I opened Google's page and put an "S" in
    the box and autocomplete gave me "Samsung SM-352 failure" so yep, same
    model. Get rid of it quick, they're shite.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2004
  10. In article <mK42d.2931$> in nz.comp on Thu, 16
    Sep 2004 12:04:04 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <jC51d.1811$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    > > 13 Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...

    > >> As discussed extensively in a thread here a couple of months back, I
    > >> had one of these (Combo CD-write/DVD-read) that played up, refused
    > >> to read/write CDs at all although it still read DVDs. I got a
    > >> replacement under warranty that did exactly the same thing. I took
    > >> that back and got the retailer to swap it for a Lite-on. The Lite-on
    > >> is working perfectly.

    > > I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

    > Sorry, I don't know now. I took it back in the original box with the sofware
    > etc. and I've just been through the filing cabinet but that didn't help. The
    > day I bought it I originaly wanted a Lite-on and that's what's printed on
    > their receipt (They were out of stock) with a line through it and their
    > catalogue number for the Samsung written there instead. No model number
    >
    > I think, from memory, it was a 52x24x52x16 speed if that's any help. From my
    > experience with that, and a little I found on the web/usenet archives about
    > them I'd never buy a Samsung optical drive again, or at least unless they
    > develop a reputation as being great over a few years. I also bought a
    > Samsung Spinrite 80GB HDD for my girlfriend before we had problems with the
    > optical drive. I hope that lasts better, although I've read a lot of good
    > reviews of their HDDs so fingers crossed.
    >
    > Wohoo!!! I just tried something, I opened Google's page and put an "S" in
    > the box and autocomplete gave me "Samsung SM-352 failure" so yep, same
    > model. Get rid of it quick, they're shite.

    It will only burn a Datalife Plus 48x blank at 8x and a Datalife Plus 32x
    CDRW at 4x. Although it now seems the CDRW disk might be faulty.

    It claims to be able to burn at 52x, so something funny is going on
    there.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 16, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <mK42d.2931$> in nz.comp on Thu,
    > 16 Sep 2004 12:04:04 +1200, ~misfit~ <> says...
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>> In article <jC51d.1811$> in nz.comp on Mon,
    >>> 13 Sep 2004 12:14:38 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    >>> says...

    >>> I checked and it's a SM352B, is that the model you had?

    >> Sorry, I don't know now. I took it back in the original box with the
    >> sofware etc. and I've just been through the filing cabinet but that
    >> didn't help. The day I bought it I originaly wanted a Lite-on and
    >> that's what's printed on their receipt (They were out of stock) with
    >> a line through it and their catalogue number for the Samsung written
    >> there instead. No model number
    >>
    >> I think, from memory, it was a 52x24x52x16 speed if that's any help.
    >> From my experience with that, and a little I found on the web/usenet
    >> archives about them I'd never buy a Samsung optical drive again, or
    >> at least unless they develop a reputation as being great over a few
    >> years. I also bought a Samsung Spinrite 80GB HDD for my girlfriend
    >> before we had problems with the optical drive. I hope that lasts
    >> better, although I've read a lot of good reviews of their HDDs so
    >> fingers crossed.
    >>
    >> Wohoo!!! I just tried something, I opened Google's page and put an
    >> "S" in the box and autocomplete gave me "Samsung SM-352 failure" so
    >> yep, same model. Get rid of it quick, they're shite.

    > It will only burn a Datalife Plus 48x blank at 8x and a Datalife Plus
    > 32x CDRW at 4x. Although it now seems the CDRW disk might be faulty.
    >
    > It claims to be able to burn at 52x, so something funny is going on
    > there.

    They have two lasers, one for CD and one for DVD. They have a history of the
    CD laser dying. Two did it for me and I found evidence on the web and in
    usenet of others having similar experiences.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Karen Parker < wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:59:41 +1200, "Jackson" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Karen Parker" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes they have my CRAP mark..

    >>like yourself really. You have our CRAP mark you old twat.

    >Twat is a Pregnant Fish, I do not think I look like a Fish..

    Kind of like saying "crap" means "chaff"...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2004