Sample Circuit Board Scam?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The Bit Bandit, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Yesterday I received a courier delivery. Inside was a sample circuit
    board (i.e. an empty backplane and blank PCB without any components on
    it) and an invoice for US$5.00. The company that sent it was
    "Universal Book Store" in Selangor, Malaysia. The invoice had my
    business details on it (i.e. business name, address, phone number).

    Needless to say I didn't order this item and have never heard of the
    Universal Book Store. I decided to just ignore it.

    This morning another courier delivery arrived, with another sample
    cicuit board and an identical invoice (although this time there were
    three copies of the invoice stapled together, all with the same "HAWB"
    number (whatever that stands for)).

    The date of the first delivery is the same as the date of the second
    delivery, but while the first delivery was made by TNT, the second
    came via DHL.

    What is slightly strange is that each of the invoices and courier
    delivery forms has a phone number for this Universal Book Store, and
    in all cases the number has either been twinked out and replaced or
    crossed out and replaced with another number.

    I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam? Maybe they hope that some
    people will just pay the invoice without questioning it. Or maybe the
    phone number leads to an 0900 number and they hope people will ring up
    and question the shipments. The phone number by the way is (603) 2095
    5124.

    My efforts to track down the Universal Book Company have only lead to
    a company in India who goes under that name and who seem to only deal
    in books and not computer hardware. Their address is completely
    different. I have also looked on the consumer.org.nz website to see
    if they list a similar scam but couldn't find anything.

    Has anyone heard of such a thing? Any ideas what it could be about?

    The Bit Bandit, Aug 23, 2004

  2. The Bit Bandit

    Collector_NZ Guest

    The Bit Bandit said the following on 24/08/2004 10:42:

    > Yesterday I received a courier delivery. Inside was a sample circuit
    > board (i.e. an empty backplane and blank PCB without any components on
    > it) and an invoice for US$5.00. The company that sent it was
    > "Universal Book Store" in Selangor, Malaysia. The invoice had my
    > business details on it (i.e. business name, address, phone number).
    >
    > Needless to say I didn't order this item and have never heard of the
    > Universal Book Store. I decided to just ignore it.
    >
    > This morning another courier delivery arrived, with another sample
    > cicuit board and an identical invoice (although this time there were
    > three copies of the invoice stapled together, all with the same "HAWB"
    > number (whatever that stands for)).
    >
    > The date of the first delivery is the same as the date of the second
    > delivery, but while the first delivery was made by TNT, the second
    > came via DHL.
    >
    > What is slightly strange is that each of the invoices and courier
    > delivery forms has a phone number for this Universal Book Store, and
    > in all cases the number has either been twinked out and replaced or
    > crossed out and replaced with another number.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam? Maybe they hope that some
    > people will just pay the invoice without questioning it. Or maybe the
    > phone number leads to an 0900 number and they hope people will ring up
    > and question the shipments. The phone number by the way is (603) 2095
    > 5124.
    >
    > My efforts to track down the Universal Book Company have only lead to
    > a company in India who goes under that name and who seem to only deal
    > in books and not computer hardware. Their address is completely
    > different. I have also looked on the consumer.org.nz website to see
    > if they list a similar scam but couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a thing? Any ideas what it could be about?

    Screams Scam, HAWB is House Air Way Bill and is a shipping reference.

    Collector_NZ, Aug 24, 2004

  3. The Bit Bandit

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    The Bit Bandit wrote:

    > What is slightly strange is that each of the invoices and courier
    > delivery forms has a phone number for this Universal Book Store, and
    > in all cases the number has either been twinked out and replaced or
    > crossed out and replaced with another number.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam? Maybe they hope that some
    > people will just pay the invoice without questioning it. Or maybe the
    > phone number leads to an 0900 number and they hope people will ring up
    > and question the shipments. The phone number by the way is (603) 2095
    > 5124.
    >
    > My efforts to track down the Universal Book Company have only lead to
    > a company in India who goes under that name and who seem to only deal
    > in books and not computer hardware. Their address is completely
    > different. I have also looked on the consumer.org.nz website to see
    > if they list a similar scam but couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a thing? Any ideas what it could be about?

    Covered by the Unsolicited Goods Act. You are under no obligation to pay
    or to return the goods. Your only obligation is to keep them safe for
    three months in case the owner asks for them back, after that they are
    yours.

    Roger_Nickel, Aug 24, 2004
  4. The Bit Bandit

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    The Bit Bandit wrote:

    > Yesterday I received a courier delivery. Inside was a sample circuit
    > board (i.e. an empty backplane and blank PCB without any components on
    > it) and an invoice for US$5.00. The company that sent it was
    > "Universal Book Store" in Selangor, Malaysia. The invoice had my
    > business details on it (i.e. business name, address, phone number).
    >
    > Needless to say I didn't order this item and have never heard of the
    > Universal Book Store. I decided to just ignore it.
    >
    > This morning another courier delivery arrived, with another sample
    > cicuit board and an identical invoice (although this time there were
    > three copies of the invoice stapled together, all with the same "HAWB"
    > number (whatever that stands for)).
    >
    > The date of the first delivery is the same as the date of the second
    > delivery, but while the first delivery was made by TNT, the second
    > came via DHL.
    >
    > What is slightly strange is that each of the invoices and courier
    > delivery forms has a phone number for this Universal Book Store, and
    > in all cases the number has either been twinked out and replaced or
    > crossed out and replaced with another number.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam? Maybe they hope that some
    > people will just pay the invoice without questioning it. Or maybe the
    > phone number leads to an 0900 number and they hope people will ring up
    > and question the shipments. The phone number by the way is (603) 2095
    > 5124.
    >
    > My efforts to track down the Universal Book Company have only lead to
    > a company in India who goes under that name and who seem to only deal
    > in books and not computer hardware. Their address is completely
    > different. I have also looked on the consumer.org.nz website to see
    > if they list a similar scam but couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a thing? Any ideas what it could be about?

    Covered by the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act. You can either
    contact the company and give them one month to collect the goods, or do
    nothing and keep the goods safe for three months. Either way, if you
    keep the goods safe and unused they become yours after the holding
    period runs out. Congratulations, you're a winner!. Do you have a use
    for blank circuit board?.

    Roger_Nickel, Aug 24, 2004
  5. The Bit Bandit

    Malcolm Guest

    The Bit Bandit wrote:
    > Yesterday I received a courier delivery. Inside was a sample circuit
    > board (i.e. an empty backplane and blank PCB without any components on
    > it) and an invoice for US$5.00. The company that sent it was
    > "Universal Book Store" in Selangor, Malaysia. The invoice had my
    > business details on it (i.e. business name, address, phone number).
    >
    > Needless to say I didn't order this item and have never heard of the
    > Universal Book Store. I decided to just ignore it.
    >
    > This morning another courier delivery arrived, with another sample
    > cicuit board and an identical invoice (although this time there were
    > three copies of the invoice stapled together, all with the same "HAWB"
    > number (whatever that stands for)).
    >
    > The date of the first delivery is the same as the date of the second
    > delivery, but while the first delivery was made by TNT, the second
    > came via DHL.
    >
    > What is slightly strange is that each of the invoices and courier
    > delivery forms has a phone number for this Universal Book Store, and
    > in all cases the number has either been twinked out and replaced or
    > crossed out and replaced with another number.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is some sort of scam? Maybe they hope that some
    > people will just pay the invoice without questioning it. Or maybe the
    > phone number leads to an 0900 number and they hope people will ring up
    > and question the shipments. The phone number by the way is (603) 2095
    > 5124.
    >
    > My efforts to track down the Universal Book Company have only lead to
    > a company in India who goes under that name and who seem to only deal
    > in books and not computer hardware. Their address is completely
    > different. I have also looked on the consumer.org.nz website to see
    > if they list a similar scam but couldn't find anything.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of such a thing? Any ideas what it could be about?

    You should be able to use the HAWB to do a 'tracking' search at
    either/both courier companies to see where it originated etc...

    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Aug 24, 2004