    setup? Just opinions would help melt my wall of paranoia.
    Thansk so much
    Frank
    Frank, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Frank

    Tim Guest

    My own opinion:

    For EG Internet Banking, so long as the site itself is secured with SSL then
    you are safe - even on an Open wireless link because the data between your
    web browser and the bank is encrypted using SSL and most likely 128 bit
    encryption. Double click the padlock icon on the status bar in IE next time
    you are logged on to read about the level of security your bank is serving
    you.

    For normal data flows between machines, it depends on what security you have
    implemented on the wireless link and what value there is in the data.

    If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
    that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic.

    Using a WEP link, they will need to expend some effort.

    Using a WPA link, they will need to go to concerted effort.

    Using 802.1x configured with appropriate encryption, they will need a
    supercomputer or two.

    Why do I refer to the value of the data? As soon as effort is required to
    break into a link, the amount of time and resources a person is willing to
    spend will have some value known to them which they will anticipate will be
    less than the value of the data they gain. IE they make a profit: you won't
    spend $1,000,000 breaking into a data stream to find $10 worth of data. You
    would if the data represented 100 times more value than the cost of the
    break in.

    Burglars are lazy. Very lazy. They don't bother with hard jobs 'cos there
    are so many easy ones out there. Then there are the hackers.... They break
    in for the challenge, but hackers seem to prefer to break into links that
    will gain them reputation, credibility, or notoriety. If they go for profit,
    then they are not hackers... (IMHO).

    Most peoples data is most of the time of no interest to anyone other than
    themselves.

    2 cents.

    Tim, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Tim,
    Thanks so much for such an in depth answer.
    > If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
    > that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic

    What do you mean by open connection in this context?
    I plan (if I go ahead with this) to take every step downloaded from numerous
    sources about wireless security. So, my thief I believe would have to work.
    It's just that I really could use the convenience , but on the other hand i
    am just trying to get opinions before I take a chance with my family funds.
    No great amounts here, below average I am sure, but for us, it's a bundle.
    Thanks again Tim

    Frank, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Frank

    Frank Guest