Same question asked properly

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to burn music to DVD discs.
    >
    > Everything I find online talks about converting FROM .cda to.mp3.
    > I wanna go t'other way.

    No you don't. CDA is not compatible with DVD. And DVDs are not playable in a
    CD player. See my reply to your first question.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in

    > I want to burn music to DVD discs.
    >
    > I have a half a zillion MP3 songs on my hard drive & Nero
    > does a nice job of burning MP3's to CD so I can listen in
    > my car.
    >
    > But a DVD disc holds a shit-load more data than does a CD
    > and, at the risk of hurting myself, thought I could
    > probably listen to a whole lot more music without having to
    > bother changing discs or filling my front seat with boxes
    > of discs. Mrs. Frosty would be happy to be able to ride in
    > the front seat again too.
    >
    > I read the site that PeeCee quoted and it told me what
    > CDA's are (sorta) but I'm no closer to knowing how to
    > accomplish my goal.
    >
    > When I look at a burned-by-me (and Nero) music CD the
    > pomcuter says the files are .cda's but according to
    > PeeCee's link: http://www.coolutils.com/Formats/CDA
    > I bark up incorrect trees.
    >
    > Everything I find online talks about converting FROM .cda
    > to.mp3. I wanna go t'other way.

    CDA is not as format, it's a 44 byte "placeholder" indicating a
    WAV format track's existence on a REGULAR audio CD, whether
    stamped at the factory and bought, or burnt by yourself or the
    guy on the street corner.

    If you want to go from mp3 to "CDA" (WAV) all you will end up
    with is up to 80 minutes of music on a 700MB CDR, with the added
    bonus that it will play on just about any CD or DVD player. It
    will do that because it will be for most intents and purposes a
    regular AUDIO CD which used to hold up to 74 minutes but as
    technical tolerances have gotten less critical, have been upped
    to 80 minutes for those for whom 70 minutes of Britney Spears at
    once just was not enough.

    You can of course fit a lot more of *anything* on a DVD (since
    they can hold up to about 12 times more data) but most blasters
    - mini-stereos - carplayers can only play CD's, as in store-
    bought 80 minutes or you-burnt 80 minutes WAV audio OR you-burnt
    however much of mp3 at whatever bitrate you prefer you can fit
    on to a 700MB ***CD***, NOT *DVD*.

    There are some new big "home blasters" which play DVD's but I do
    not know whether they will play an mp3 off one - I suspect they
    are intended to be connected to a monitor and to be used as a
    crappy home theater sound setup (with a built-in DVD player).
    Nor am I aware of the existence of any car audio equipment which
    will play a DVD. But I have not looked into it either.

    FWIW, since a 700MB CDR can hold up to 15-20 mp3-format albums
    at more than acceptable quality for "in-car listening", why you
    would want to subject yourself to special moments like ten
    minutes of trying to find the right track among 225 albums'
    worth of music is beyond me.

    www.cdrfaq.org

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  4. WhzzKdd

    Guest

    On Mar 29, 10:28 am, Frosty <> wrote:
    > I want to burn music to DVD discs.
    >
    > .......snip .............

    Subject: Same question asked properly

    You have not asked it properly. Your subject header gives no clue at
    all as to the contents of the message

    , Mar 29, 2007
  5. WhzzKdd

    Guest

    On Mar 29, 11:41 am, Frosty <> wrote:
    > On 28 Mar 2007 17:30:38 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > , intended to write something intelligible, but
    > instead wrote :
    >
    > >On Mar 29, 10:28 am,Frosty<> wrote:
    > >> I want to burn music to DVD discs.

    > >> .......snip .............

    > >Subject: Same question asked properly

    > >You have not asked it properly. Your subject header gives no clue at
    > >all as to the contents of the message

    > Well **** me then.

    Your welcome - as long as you do it to yourself.

    , Mar 29, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  7. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On 29 Mar 2007 00:23:06 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    > but instead wrote :
    >
    > <snippy>
    >>
    >>FWIW, since a 700MB CDR can hold up to 15-20 mp3-format albums

    > You meant songs, right?

    No, he meant ALBUMS. As in 10 songs or so each. Or in the case of my MP3
    collection, nearly 200 songs on one CD. But your car stereo must be able to
    play MP3 files.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On 29 Mar 2007 00:23:06 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    <snippy>

    >FWIW, since a 700MB CDR can hold up to 15-20 mp3-format albums

    You meant songs, right?

    >at more than acceptable quality for "in-car listening", why you
    >would want to subject yourself to special moments like ten
    >minutes of trying to find the right track among 225 albums'
    >worth of music is beyond me.

    Well, I'd like to, for instance, burn every song ever performed by CSN
    & Y together and separately on one disc and just listen to 'em all the
    way thru. Same with Van Morrison, and Frank Zappa (well I may need two
    DVD's for Frank 'cause of the Cap't.)

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  9. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On 28 Mar 2007 18:31:16 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    instead wrote :

    >On Mar 29, 11:41 am, Frosty <> wrote:
    >> On 28 Mar 2007 17:30:38 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> , intended to write something intelligible, but
    >> instead wrote :

    >> >Subject: Same question asked properly

    >> >You have not asked it properly. Your subject header gives no clue at
    >> >all as to the contents of the message

    >> Well **** me then.

    >Your welcome - as long as you do it to yourself.

    If I could do that...well never mind.

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  10. WhzzKdd

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:18:22 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    > intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >

    >>"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> On 29 Mar 2007 00:23:06 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    >>> <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    >>> but instead wrote :
    >>>
    >>> <snippy>

    >>> You meant songs, right?

    >>No, he meant ALBUMS. As in 10 songs or so each. Or in the case of my MP3
    >>collection, nearly 200 songs on one CD. But your car stereo must be able
    >>play MP3 files.
    >>

    > Hmmm...
    > I wonder how I'm to do that?
    > Every time I try with Nero they do that other format.
    > That would make a world of difference.
    > (My car stereo allegedly can)

    Ahhh! Perhaps this is the crux of the issue.

    Here's the thing: stop thinking of MP3 files as MUSIC. It's not. It's DATA.
    Set Nero up to make a DATA disc, then select the folders with your MP3 files
    in them, and record those to the CDR.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 29, 2007
  11. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  12. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:11:37 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:18:22 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    >> intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >>

    >>>"Frosty" <> wrote in message

    >>>No, he meant ALBUMS. As in 10 songs or so each. Or in the case of my MP3
    >>>collection, nearly 200 songs on one CD. But your car stereo must be able
    >>>play MP3 files.
    >>>

    >> Hmmm...
    >> I wonder how I'm to do that?
    >> Every time I try with Nero they do that other format.
    >> That would make a world of difference.
    >> (My car stereo allegedly can)
    >>

    >Ahhh! Perhaps this is the crux of the issue.
    >
    >Here's the thing: stop thinking of MP3 files as MUSIC. It's not. It's DATA.
    >Set Nero up to make a DATA disc, then select the folders with your MP3 files
    >in them, and record those to the CDR.

    Ah reet! I'll give it a go!

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  13. WhzzKdd

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in

    > On 29 Mar 2007 00:23:06 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > thanatoid <>, intended to write
    > something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    > <snippy>
    >>
    >>FWIW, since a 700MB CDR can hold up to 15-20 mp3-format
    >>albums

    > You meant songs, right?

    No, I meant ALBUMS. You REALLY need to go to www.cdrfaq.org

    A WAV of a 5 minute song is about 50MB give or take 15%, just
    guessing, too lazy to look it up. An mp3 of the same song can be
    as little as 1MB or as much as 15MB depending on how fussy you
    are about quality.

    >>at more than acceptable quality for "in-car listening", why
    >>you would want to subject yourself to special moments like
    >>ten minutes of trying to find the right track among 225
    >>albums' worth of music is beyond me.

    > Well, I'd like to, for instance, burn every song ever
    > performed by CSN & Y together and separately on one disc
    > and just listen to 'em all the way thru. Same with Van
    > Morrison, and Frank Zappa (well I may need two DVD's for
    > Frank 'cause of the Cap't.)

    I have ONE mp3 CD of the first 8 David Bowie albums at a good
    bitrate, and I burnt about 25 or 30 Zappa albums in 192 CBR
    stereo (usually considered equal to CD quality) to 3 CD's for a
    buddy recently.

    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2007
  14. WhzzKdd

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > On Mar 29, 10:28 am, Frosty <> wrote:
    >> I want to burn music to DVD discs.
    >>
    >> .......snip .............

    > Subject: Same question asked properly
    >
    > You have not asked it properly. Your subject header gives
    > no clue at all as to the contents of the message

    Get a fucking life, eh?

    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2007
  15. WhzzKdd

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:11:37 -0700 in
    > 24hoursupport.helpdesk "WhzzKdd"
    > <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    > intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >

    >>"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:18:22 -0700 in
    >>> 24hoursupport.helpdesk "WhzzKdd"
    >>> <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write

    >>> Hmmm...
    >>> I wonder how I'm to do that?
    >>> Every time I try with Nero they do that other format.
    >>> That would make a world of difference.
    >>> (My car stereo allegedly can)
    >>>

    >>Ahhh! Perhaps this is the crux of the issue.
    >>
    >>Here's the thing: stop thinking of MP3 files as MUSIC. It's
    >>not. It's DATA. Set Nero up to make a DATA disc, then
    >>select the folders with your MP3 files in them, and record
    >>those to the CDR.

    > Ah reet! I'll give it a go!

    Not to sound repetitious, but *FWIW* I consider Nero absolute
    bloated crap with no logic and impossible menus to maneuver
    through to get anything done, and it has burned me a lot of
    coasters. I recommend the program from www.goldenhawk.com

    On another subject, WHATEVER program you use to burn mp3's
    (which as WhzzKdd said, is DATA, as WAV actually is, except that
    when you tell a stupid program like Nero to burn an AUDIO cd it
    will burn a WAV audio CD with ONE album on it, so you have to
    tell it to burn a DATA CD, or whatever Nero calls it) is best to
    use a defragged partition (you DO have more than one partition,
    don't you? ;-) and to make one big .iso file of all the data
    from all the different fragged-up parts of your drive containing
    the music you want and then burn THAT one big file directly to
    the CD - and I also recommend not burning at higher than 8x
    speed (if you can't wait 15 minutes for a CD with 6 hours of
    music on it then you have a real problem).

    It's a beautifully simple one step process with the goldenhawk
    program I mentioned. Nero can also do it this way, but I hope to
    fubar I never have to explain to anyone how, I hate the way that
    program works.

    Have fun.

    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2007
  16. WhzzKdd

    PeeCee Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:11:37 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    snippy snip snip

    >Ahhh! Perhaps this is the crux of the issue.
    >>
    >>Here's the thing: stop thinking of MP3 files as MUSIC. It's not. It's
    >>DATA.
    >>Set Nero up to make a DATA disc, then select the folders with your MP3
    >>files
    >>in them, and record those to the CDR.

    > Ah reet! I'll give it a go!

    To reinforce WhzzKdd's explanation,
    In Nero when you choose the 'Audio' option Nero is configured to convert any
    music format (MP3, Ogg, Wave....) back into the format used with regular
    Audio CD's (burnt or pressed)
    i.e. Nero reverses the 'ripping' process of converting Audio CD's tracks to
    MP3 (or Ogg...) files to the PC's Hard Drive.

    All Nero is doing is simplifying the conversion process for you burning the
    Audio CD to the standard set down for Music CD's.

    Nero does not offer to build an Audio DVD, however Sonic apparently can as
    explained on this website:
    http://www.tape.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/techinfo/dvd_audio.html?L cassette ncvi8745
    As I understand it Sonic simply builds a DVD with the smallest possible
    Video content, maximising the amount of time that can be allocated to the
    sound tracks (stereo, 5.1)
    However as you will read on that page it maxes out at about 6 hours of Audio
    which is half the time you can get out of a CD full of MP3's.

    Tying your PC up for some hours while it renders an Audio DVD for max 6
    hours of play (in a DVD player only) doesn't seem good value to me. Whereas
    burning an MP3 CD takes 10 minutes, gives twice the time and will play in
    both CD players and a majority of DVD players.

    Besides that if your car Stereo can't read a DVD (see my reply to your

    Yes we would all like to have up to 84 hours on one disk in the form of a
    'Audio' DVD but as decoding such a disk is done by the devices electronics
    someone has to define how the information is to be encoded on the disk then
    extracted from the disk.
    AFAIK no one has set a such a standard unlike the CD audio standard set by
    Philips/Sony way back when.
    Then there is the HD-DVD and Blu Ray disks coming up with even more
    capacity..........

    Any way after all that, did burning MP3's to a CD as 'data' work?

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 29, 2007
  17. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On 29 Mar 2007 06:48:33 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    <snip>

    >> Ah reet! I'll give it a go!

    >Not to sound repetitious, but *FWIW* I consider Nero absolute
    >bloated crap with no logic and impossible menus to maneuver
    >through to get anything done, and it has burned me a lot of
    >coasters. I recommend the program from www.goldenhawk.com

    Yeah, I have many coasters too.
    I'll check it out.

    >On another subject, WHATEVER program you use to burn mp3's
    >(which as WhzzKdd said, is DATA, as WAV actually is, except that
    >when you tell a stupid program like Nero to burn an AUDIO cd it
    >will burn a WAV audio CD with ONE album on it, so you have to
    >tell it to burn a DATA CD, or whatever Nero calls it) is best to
    >use a defragged partition (you DO have more than one partition,
    >don't you? ;-)

    uh, no, I don't. Never saw the reason for it, lest I wanted to put
    another OS on my PC and, frankly, one is more than enough.

    >and to make one big .iso file of all the data
    >from all the different fragged-up parts of your drive containing
    >the music you want and then burn THAT one big file directly to
    >the CD

    What I do when making compilations is I create a shortcut to a folder
    created for that purpose in SendTo and rightclick on MP3's and send
    copies to that folder.
    I have a 300 GB SATA HD that I keep all my music on...I'll need to buy
    another one very soon.

    > - and I also recommend not burning at higher than 8x
    >speed (if you can't wait 15 minutes for a CD with 6 hours of
    >music on it then you have a real problem).

    Y? If the burner will burn at 52X, why not let it?

    >It's a beautifully simple one step process with the goldenhawk
    >program I mentioned. Nero can also do it this way, but I hope to
    >fubar I never have to explain to anyone how, I hate the way that
    >program works.
    >
    >Have fun.

    Thanx

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  18. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:19:52 +1200 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "PeeCee"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    <major snippage>

    >Any way after all that, did burning MP3's to a CD as 'data' work?
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    Yes, and quite well!
    Thank you all!

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  19. WhzzKdd

    Frosty Guest

    On 29 Mar 2007 06:37:11 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
    but instead wrote :

    >Frosty <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 29 Mar 2007 00:23:06 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> thanatoid <>, intended to write
    >> something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >>
    >> <snippy>
    >>>
    >>>FWIW, since a 700MB CDR can hold up to 15-20 mp3-format
    >>>albums

    >> You meant songs, right?

    >No, I meant ALBUMS.

    So I hear!

    >You REALLY need to go to www.cdrfaq.org

    OK!

    >A WAV of a 5 minute song is about 50MB give or take 15%, just
    >guessing, too lazy to look it up. An mp3 of the same song can be
    >as little as 1MB or as much as 15MB depending on how fussy you
    >are about quality.

    So using those MBA's or WMA's or whatever they're called, I could jam
    in even more, assuming I'm not too terribly particular about sound
    quality?

    Frosty, Mar 29, 2007
  20. WhzzKdd

    thanatoid Guest

    Frosty <> wrote in

    frim other post:

    >So using those MBA's or WMA's or whatever they're called, I

    could jam
    >in even more, assuming I'm not too terribly particular about

    sound
    >quality?

    MBA is Master of Business Administration, and while most of
    those SHOULD get burned and good, that is somewhat off-topic.

    WMA is a proprietary Windows Media format which can include
    audio, video, both, etc, as well as assorted malware. It is also
    heavily loaded with copy protection, DRMA (Google), and other
    things which make it unsuitable for use by those who believe
    once you have owned a record or CD you should be able to DL it
    again and do whatever you want with it.

    IOW, I suggest staying away from it. I don't think the sound
    quality is all that different, there are bitrate settings etc as
    well, but it's just a PITA.

    You should burn using the lame encoder (it comes with most good
    burning programs or it can be installed to be used instead of
    the default) which is almost universally considered the best.
    You can choose a myriad settings from 64Kbps (AM radio) to
    320Kbps (better than CD) and you can choose mono, stereo, joint-
    stereo (www.cdrfaq.org) and more. It gets fairly complex with so
    many choices. You just have to read up, do some tests, and
    decide for yourself. Just make sure you always burn at 44100Hz
    or your disc may not work with some players.

    >>On another subject, WHATEVER program you use to burn mp3's
    >>(which as WhzzKdd said, is DATA, as WAV actually is, except
    >>that when you tell a stupid program like Nero to burn an
    >>AUDIO cd it will burn a WAV audio CD with ONE album on it,
    >>so you have to tell it to burn a DATA CD, or whatever Nero
    >>calls it) is best to use a defragged partition (you DO have
    >>more than one partition, don't you? ;-)

    > uh, no, I don't. Never saw the reason for it, lest I wanted
    > to put another OS on my PC and, frankly, one is more than
    > enough.

    Well, we'll leave it at that, but I would recommend defragging
    your drive before doing the iso file to burn your mp3's. Of
    course, I'm an anal-retentive perfectionist.

    >> - and I also recommend not burning at higher than 8x
    >>speed (if you can't wait 15 minutes for a CD with 6 hours
    >>of music on it then you have a real problem).

    > Y? If the burner will burn at 52X, why not let it?

    For the same reason that your car will run better if a good
    mechanic spends an hour tuning it up than if a good mechanic
    spends 3 minutes tuning it up.

    Seriously, they will have more errors (although the software
    will probably correct them - a LOT of you CDR's (AND regular
    audio CD's) content is error correction data), and they may NOT
    play on many machines.

    You should use good media for the same reason. I use TDK
    "certified plus" from Costco. Taiyo Yuden and Fuji are very good
    but I can't find them anywhere.

    Obsession with speed is not a good thing. And MY burner, FWIW,
    requires a special procedure to get it to work at 52x, its
    preset max is 40x. Needless to say, I have never used it. I have
    it set to burn at 8x and read at 20x. What's the rush? I also
    NEVER do ANYTHING else at the same time. It's a delicate process
    and I don't like coasters, even 35 cent ones.

    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2007