SAMBA SERVER: enable WRITE (using WEBMIN)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
    Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
    have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
    linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
    various parameters.
    I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
    was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
    read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
    folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.

    I have no clue on what to do next.....

    I think I can log in as guest... can guest write files? Perhaps that is the
    problem....

    PLEASE HELP!

    _____________
    Kenny S
    http://www.computerboom.net
    FREE programs and MORE!

    ---

    Kenny, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Kenny

    Keith Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:07:05 +0300, Kenny <> wrote:
    > I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
    > Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
    > have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
    > linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
    > various parameters.
    > I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
    > was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
    > read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
    > folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.
    >
    > I have no clue on what to do next.....

    With Linux you need to read the fine manual. You will get better help in
    the comp.os.linux. newswgroups or email lists for Samba.

    Keith

    Keith, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Kenny

    Parko Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
    > Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
    > have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
    > linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
    > various parameters.
    > I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
    > was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
    > read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
    > folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.
    >
    > I have no clue on what to do next.....
    >

    > I think I can log in as guest... can guest write files? Perhaps that is the
    > problem....
    >

    > PLEASE HELP!
    >
    > _____________
    > Kenny S
    > http://www.computerboom.net
    > FREE programs and MORE!
    >
    > ---

    I hope your shared folder is on a FAT32 partition, not NTFS, and
    certainly not Ext3FS. If your shared folder is in /home your not going
    to get very far.
    http://au1.samba.org/samba/support/
    http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/
    --