Samba PDC question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dany P. Wu, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I used to have two XP Pro machines networked together behind a linux
    firewall. The two machines existed in a workgroup sharing directories and a
    printer.

    Today I managed to get a RedHat 9 machine to run as a Samba PDC and the two
    XP machines joined the domain, sharing a various folders on the Samba server
    and all is well..........................or so it seems!

    I was completely wrong on that since the two XP machines can no longer share
    folders or printers between themselves! For some reason everytime I want to
    see what folders are shared on one XP machine from the other I was asked for
    a login and password! What has happened here? I could not login since every
    name I type in is automaticallyPlease excuse my rudimentary understanding of
    networking but I thought, being on the same domain, the two XP machines
    should behave just like before since they're just domain members, not
    controllers.

    Can someone please help me with this? Any hints or suggestions would be
    immensely appreciated!

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Dany P. Wu

    TEX Guest

    The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
    Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
    available on both computers.

    TEX

    TEX, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "TEX" <> wrote in message news:3f5faacb$...
    > The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
    > Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
    > available on both computers.

    Ok, I'm not sure if my understanding was the problem in the first place. I
    think there's something fishy going on with RedHat 9's Samba 2.2.7.

    One machine can log on to the domain just fine, while the other machine is
    having problems. The problematic machine can *join* the domain, but when it
    comes to logging on, it claims there is no computer account on the
    controller. If I understand this correctly there must be a valid machine
    account on the controller for this machine to join the domain in the first
    place!

    ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
    a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Invisible Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, "Dany P. Wu"
    <> wrote:

    >"TEX" <> wrote in message news:3f5faacb$...
    >> The domain hold the permissions for access to the two computers.
    >> Workgroup means shared access and thus you only need an account that is
    >> available on both computers.

    >Ok, I'm not sure if my understanding was the problem in the first place. I
    >think there's something fishy going on with RedHat 9's Samba 2.2.7.
    >
    >One machine can log on to the domain just fine, while the other machine is
    >having problems. The problematic machine can *join* the domain, but when it
    >comes to logging on, it claims there is no computer account on the
    >controller. If I understand this correctly there must be a valid machine
    >account on the controller for this machine to join the domain in the first
    >place!
    >
    >ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
    >a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?
    >
    >D.

    I had to do a reg hack to get XP pro to logon to an SME samba PDC. Search the
    boards at e-smith.org.

    Pretty sure this did the trick:

    http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?f=3&i=26785&t=26777

    Invisible, Sep 11, 2003
  5. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    > ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully run
    > a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

    the slave box must be in the samba passord file as a machine, as well as
    the individual users using it.

    This is all covered in the fine manual.

    $hint: smbpasswd -a, smbpasswd -m

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:47:01 +1200, Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >
    > > ARRGGHH!! This is getting incredibly frustrating! Has anyone succesfully

    run
    > > a RH 9 machine as a Samba PDC? Any help anyone? please?

    > the slave box must be in the samba passord file as a machine, as well as
    > the individual users using it.
    >
    > This is all covered in the fine manual.

    Thanks, and I fixed most of the problems through reading the fine manual!
    Unfortunately all the problems arose from using various GUI configurators
    for smb.conf. In the end a simple text editor won the day.

    I have plenty other problems with Samba at the moment but that's another

    Dany P. Wu, Sep 12, 2003