Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by DaveT, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. DaveT

    DaveT Guest

    test results - http://www.itweek.co.uk/ITWeek/itw_graph_1144289.jsp

    Samba beats Windows
    By Roger Howorth [13-10-2003]
    Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

    Tests by IT Week Labs show the latest version of the open-source Samba file
    and print server software is 2.5 times faster than Windows Server 2003 in
    the same role.

    The news comes as many firms are grappling with the consequences of
    Microsoft ending support for NT4, coupled with uncertainty about when
    Microsoft will next update Windows. The performance difference between
    Windows Server 2003 and Samba 3 has increased dramatically compared with
    Samba 2 and Windows 2000 Server.

    Samba provides file and print services to Windows PCs. It enables a Linux or
    Unix server to work as a file server for client PCs running Windows
    software. The new version also introduces support for Microsoft's Active
    Directory for allocating and controlling user access rights.

    Samba 3's scalability is as impressive as its performance. While Windows
    performance scales up well initially, it then drops off quickly as more
    clients access the server. In contrast, Samba 3 offered excellent throughput
    up to the limit of our test, conducted on a low-spec Intel server.

    Consequently, firms could save money on licence fees, and on hardware, by
    using Samba instead of Windows servers. IT consultant Alan Munday, who
    recommends Samba to his clients, said the resulting saving was a key
    consideration for firms.

    Munday is already using version 3 at some smaller sites. However, he was
    dismissive of Active Directory. "I'm not [interested in the new Active
    Directory features] because the primary focus for my smaller clients is to
    migrate away from their ageing NT servers."

    DaveT, Nov 4, 2003

  2. DaveT

    Jtyc Guest

    Polaris Predator Wins Sport Quad Showdown

    > Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file serving performance

    http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=182071

    Sport Quad Showdown
    Eight Top Sport Quads Compete In Our 2003 Trials

    Staff Report
    ATV News
    Wednesday April 2, 2003

    For our 2003 ATV Trials, we gathered all the major manufacturers and their
    machines to do several shootouts over a two-day testing period. Then we
    recruited seven of our top test riders to put these sport machines through
    their paces in the tough terrain in SoCal's Hungry Valley State Vehicular
    Recreation Area.

    Let's meet the players: Bombardier DS650, Cannondale Cannibal 440, Honda
    Sportrax 400EX, Kawasaki KFX400, Polaris Predator, Suzuki Z400, plus the
    Yamaha 660R Raptor and Banshee. We'll break down this comparison into four
    categories: engine, chassis, handling, plus comfort and controls.

    Engine »
    ----

    Though the majority of our test riders felt the Bombardier DS650 lacked
    bottom-end power and ranked its overall power as average, it swept our
    radar-run categories on the smooth and soft acceleration course. The DS was
    the quickest from 0 to 30 mph, just edging the Yamaha Raptor. From zero, the
    Bomb took less than 6.5 seconds to hit 45 mph, the fastest to that speed.
    Even its mid-range acceleration figures - from 20 to 40 mph - bettered
    everyone. The DS650's aggressive power matches its large size and unique
    chassis and handling characteristics. Our evaluation crew understands the
    DS650 is the fastest and quickest quad, but a few things (touchy gearbox,
    short rev limiter, stiff clutch, loud vibrating engine) hurt the feel of its
    power.

    If the DS650 was the biggest surprise, engine wise, then the Cannondale
    Cannibal was the easiest to predict. Most test riders rated it as the best
    overall power package. All the test riders described the Cannibal as a speed
    demon - diminished by a quirky drivetrain noise, loud revving motor, and a
    slight vibration. The engine dictates that this quad be ridden fast. It wasn
    't the quickest quad off the line (ranked mid-pack from 0 to 30 mph), but it
    used its hearty mid-range power to notch the second-quickest time to 45 mph.
    Seat-of-the-pants feel? The Cannondale is one of the fastest stock quads we'
    ve ever tested. Most testers said, to get the best out of it, they needed to
    ride it faster and harder than they anticipated. It's an aggressive ATV for
    experienced riders only. The Cannibal's Carlisle Trail Wolf tires were a
    nice surprise, adding to its power package.

    ATV News
    Cannondale Cannibal

    Our Stalker radar system placed the Polaris Predator and Yamaha Raptor in
    the top four for acceleration. Acceleration numbers don't tell the whole
    story about an ATV's engine and its power. Our test riders were mixed with
    their "scoring" of these two quads. Though they ranked closely to one
    another, the Predator edged the Raptor in the engine department. Most test
    riders said the Predator's powerband is similar to the Cannibal. This quad
    isn't the quickest off the line, but it more than makes up for it with an
    impressive midrange. It likes to be revved and ridden in the upper range of
    the powerband, like the Cannondale. Those Maxxis tires add to the Predator's
    power numbers, but make it more challenging to handle in aggressive corners.
    Our test riders rated its clutch and tranny as average. Most were perplexed
    with the odd noise and vibration the Predator transmitted, which Polaris
    says is caused by the chain roller or guide.

    ATV News

    The Yamaha Raptor proved much more impressive in this terrain than in the
    thick woods where we normally test it. That's obviously because the Raptor
    can stretch it long legs and take full advantage of its five-speed gearbox.
    This terrain also benefits the Raptor's powerband because, with less
    traction, the Raptor isn't as quick to wheelie from a standstill as it does
    in high-traction soil. The result was the second-quickest 0 to 30 mph time.
    An average midrange puts the Raptor in the middle of the pack when pressed
    to 45 mph. Some testers said the Raptor's clutch and transmission still need
    some tweaking for it to be considered the best.

    The Kawasaki KFX400 and Suzuki Z400 are both impressive in the engine
    department, but their smaller engines kept them from contending for the
    speed title. Both quads contend with the big-engine boys in the 0 to 30
    acceleration times. They lose ground, however, when the speeds get higher
    and runways longer. Along with the Yamaha Banshee and Honda 400EX, they
    couldn't break the four-second barrier in the 20 to 40 mph category.

    ATV News
    Suzuki Z400

    The Suzuki 400 four-stroke engine - which sits in both quads - makes for an
    all-day joy ride. One tester said he had to reconfirm he was riding a
    400cc-powered quad. Most test riders said the lower gears were sensitive and
    the overall size of the quads made it hard to shift while riding
    aggressively on our tight, grand prix-style test course. Overall, they aren'
    t the fastest, but they can be ridden hard without feeling out of control.

    The Yamaha Banshee is a unique ATV with an unmatched engine. During
    acceleration runs, in the loose California soil, the Banshee isn't the
    fastest off the line or the quickest to 45 mph. We know from experience,
    however, the Banshee needs lots of room to hit its sweet spot - the top end.
    A sluggish bottom end and less-than-thrilling midrange made the Banshee feel
    slow in this challenge, but its favorable top-end is always a benefit. The
    Banshee will always be admired for what it can do in the sand and on open
    trails. By getting a feel for the Banshee's unique traction needs, some
    riders can keep the rpm at the correct level and keep it in its sweet spot -
    unlike a four-stroke.

    Aside from the Banshee, it's hard to believe the Honda 400EX is the oldest
    quad in this group. The quad that started the four-stroke revolution is now
    considered slow, at least in this group. The other manufacturers benefit
    from having new technologies and bigger power numbers. Our test Honda scored
    a hat trick for the slowest acceleration times, mostly attributed to a slow
    throttle response and subtle powerband. While the newer machines are
    designed for a high-performance buyer (and to beat the 400EX) the Honda is
    the sport ride for everyone. It has the most predictable powerband and most
    test riders said it had the smoothest clutch and transmission.

    Chassis »
    ----

    We evaluate a chassis based on many characteristics, including suspension,
    weight, braking, wheelbase, foot pegs, tires and wheels, and more.

    We will do this segment alphabetically to be fair. The Bombardier is
    extremely heavy - the only quad in this test to exceed 500 pounds, wet - but
    its long-travel shocks, wheelbase and ground clearance can handle the
    weight. The chassis is big in order to house the tall Rotax powerplant. The
    weight is equally balanced on this big quad, making it stable and less
    wheelie-prone. The suspension absorbs most of the rough stuff, including
    whoops, but the front end still has a mind of its own in corners, whoops and
    in loose dirt. The switch to Ohtsu tires helped this quad tremendously. Our
    test riders said the DS has the best chassis and setup for open
    cross-country riding. Several test riders said they felt comfortable going
    fast in the deep sand washes on the DS650.

    Cannondale's unique, hand-welded aluminum-CAAD style frame is lightweight
    and the most attractive. Because the Cannibal weighs less than 400 pounds,
    wet, the rider doesn't have to work as hard to counteract extra weight.

    Some test riders said the Cannibal's suspension hurt its scoring in the
    whoops because the front preload was off, and rear rebound was delayed. Most
    ranked its rear shock much higher than the front pair. Because you need to
    rev this quad and keep the speed up, the front suspension has to reassure
    the rider it's safe to keep the speed high. Most test riders said the
    Cannibal is blessed with good brakes, a nice seat-to-handlebars feel, and a
    stable wheelbase. The change to multi-purpose Carlisle Trail Wolf tires
    improved the Cannibal's traction in both the soft soil, mud and straightline
    runs.

    The 400EX is the only other ATV in this group to weigh less than 400 pounds,
    wet. Its steel chassis has proven to be strong for all but the serious
    endurance races. The spring preload adjustable front suspension will max out
    on big jumps and needs to be stiffened for tackling serious whoops. We found
    the ride bouncy as we tried to maintain speed through the chop. However, the
    400EX's front end is light enough to lift over most difficult whoops or
    obstacles.

    ATV News
    Honda 400EX
    Compared to the other machines, test riders 6 foot or taller felt cramped on
    the 400EX. The brakes and Ohtsu tires are good stock components. And the
    chassis and power are a perfect match for this mild-mannered quad.

    Kawasaki and Suzuki share the same steel-alloy frame. Twin preload
    adjustable front shocks and a single tuneable rear shock supply good support
    in their stock form, better than the Banshee and 400EX for sure. Our test
    riders agreed they could ride our mini-GP-style course faster on the Kawi
    and Suzuki than most of the quads we tested. Weighing slightly more than 400
    pounds wet, these ATVs feel light thanks to their useable power. Both quads
    use the same radial tires found on the Yamaha Raptor; they are high-quality,
    high-performance tires on any terrain.

    These two quads' designs mimic that of the 400EX. And they benefit from
    having been designed four years after the Honda. The chassis, suspension and
    engine work well together in all but the most extreme conditions. Most test
    riders felt these two quads would be a perfect setup for the non-racer. They
    both deliver a complete package without an intimidating or overpowering
    engine.

    At just a shade under 450 pounds, wet, the Polaris Predator is the new kid
    in this group. Our test riders raved about the Predator's adjustable
    suspension. It handled the whoops well and the back end didn't swap or
    rebound too harshly either. On our pre-mapped test tracks - in the hardpack
    and in the mud - every test rider complained that the Maxxis Razr rear tires
    caused the Predator to slide too much, which slowed ride times. A few riders
    also said the seat-to-handlebars setup was difficult to get used to.

    ATV News
    Polaris Predator
    Of the two Yamahas, the Raptor has the superior and most up-to-date chassis
    design - though every test rider said it felt "tippy" during our second day
    of testing. The first day we rode in typically dry SoCal conditions. The
    final day we tested in the rain and high-traction soil, which caused the
    tall Raptor to push rather than slide through corners. The suspension is
    extremely forgiving, much like the DS650.

    The Raptor has a plush, long-travel suspension and is extremely forgiving,
    much like the DS650. But with its short swingarm, however, the front end
    likes to leave the ground, forcing riders to use a more active riding style.
    The tires, wheels, foot pegs and brakes all received high scores from our
    test riders.

    The Banshee felt small to all but two of our test riders. Despite a mediocre
    suspension and small stature, most test riders enjoyed riding this quad. The
    fat, soft seat absorbs some of the harsh landings. Ground clearance and
    suspension travel is adequate for smooth rides. But the suspension and power
    make it difficult to tackle whoops; it's either skim the tops or crawl.

    ATV News
    Yamaha Banshee
    The Banshee's unique powerband and "bald" rear tires make it a powerslider's
    dream machine. Keep it revved and stay on the gas in the corners and it will
    slide like no other quad. Lap times felt faster to our test riders, but they
    usually weren't and were more tiring, too. The disc brakes make stopping
    this speedster easy.

    Best chassis? We voted for the DS650 for open desert riding, the Predator
    and Cannibal for performance riding and Kawi and Suzuki for being good at
    both.

    Handling »
    ----

    The Banshee feels low to the ground and quite stable in all but seriously
    rough conditions. Its heavy nose makes jumping less predictable and riding
    in the whoops challenging. A low center of gravity, slideability and
    high-revving nature make the Banshee a blast to corner.

    On a smooth, open trail, there's nothing more fun than the Banshee. When the
    trail gets gnarly and the speeds increase, however, the Banshee can be a
    handful. As we've said, this is a result of a lazy suspension, fat front end
    and average ground clearance. Climbing hills gets tricky, too, because of
    the peaky powerband.

    The Raptor is a fairly stable ATV when the trail conditions include fast,
    wide and dry trails. This 660cc four-stroke is less predictable in narrow
    woods courses on tacky soil. The tall, narrow chassis and long-travel
    suspension makes the quad feel tippy. Exiting corners requires more clutch
    manipulation, too, or the front end will jump off the ground. Once we got
    used to the Raptor's handling quirks, however, our lap times and confidence
    improved greatly.

    The suspension is ideal for all but the biggest jumps, though that short
    swingarm takes some getting used to. The light front end makes whoops riding
    enjoyable. Climbing hills was easy.

    ATV News
    Yamaha Raptor

    The Predator excels in the smooth, open areas where it can unwind its
    aggressive powerband. It's stable in these conditions even at top speed.
    When the trail gets rough, however, the suspension needs to be adjusted.
    Thankfully, Polaris designed the Predator with a tuneable front and rear
    suspension; on-the-fly changes - for jumps and whoops - are easy. Our test
    riders said the Predator is a better handling ATV at trail speeds than it is
    at slower speeds.

    The lightning-fast front end is precise and very quick, unlike some of the
    other quads in this test. That made it feel "twitchy" to a few test riders.
    The front end stays in contact with the ground and the quad stays true in
    the whoops.

    The Kawasaki and Suzuki are perhaps the most stable of all these quads on
    the straight, flat speed runs and smooth trails. And they are light enough
    and blessed with ample power to make whoops and rough trails seem less
    intimidating. Even when we increased the speeds and found more challenging
    terrain, both ATVs were controllable. Jumping required normal rider input,
    but did force some riders to change the suspension settings.

    When faced with rain-soaked trail conditions, the Kawasaki and Suzuki felt
    right at home and didn't require us to change our riding style. Their power
    and handling are ideal for just about anything, except maybe a high-speed
    desert race.

    Like the other two 400s in this test, the Honda has predictable handling and
    a controllable powerband. But it needs more power for high-speed runs on
    smooth trails to compete with the newer models. It also needs more
    suspension travel and adjustability for riding in ragged terrain. The 400EX
    bounced through the whoops and caused our test riders to approach them
    differently. Mid to large jumps taxed the suspension and the rebound can
    make the 400EX hop. Its turning radius is excellent; a must for an ATV
    without reverse.

    ATV News
    Kawasaki KFX 400

    Most of our test riders enjoyed riding the Cannondale in every situation.
    However, some felt only expert riders should ride this aggressive ATV. On
    smooth, wide-open trails the Cannibal is a hot rocket. Riders must pay
    attention when the speeds increase and terrain gets nasty. Keeping the
    Cannibal in its sweet spot is harder in rough terrain.

    Some test riders said the Cannnondale's front end wanted to "chart its own
    course" in the whoops - a slight case of bump steer, perhaps. In this
    Southern California crust, the Cannondale was a pleasant surprise because of
    its great acceleration and chassis. The muddy course on Day 2 didn't
    sidetrack the Cannibal; it handled the wet conditions swimmingly. Catching
    air is okay on this bike because the suspension can absorb most hard
    landings.

    Because it's so large and heavy, the Bombardier is one of the most stable
    quads in this group, especially in this terrain. For high-speed dashes down
    desert trails or cross-country jaunts, the DS650 is awesome and has the
    suspension to handle unsuspecting rough spots. All the test riders liked the
    DS650 for its whoops riding abilities, but rated it behind the Predator,
    Suzuki and Kawasaki.

    On tight forest trails or deep, sandy washes, the DS650 isn't as easy to
    operate because it doesn't have reverse. Hill climbs are a snap; just
    remember the tight rev limiter and sometimes jerky front end.

    ATV News
    Bombardier DS650

    Best handling? In open-desert conditions, the DS650 was our test riders'
    favorite. For aggressive riding and racing, the Cannondale and Predator
    shine. At trail speeds and for recreational use, the Suzuki and Kawasaki
    400s were the easiest to ride and most fun.

    Comfort and Controls »
    ----

    There isn't a clear winner of the Mr. Congeniality award because each rider
    had his own preferences. The Predator and the DS650 have the most unique
    looks of the bunch, however. The Bombardier has tire fenders instead of
    front fenders. The Polaris has a strange gap between the front plastic and
    rear fenders. The Banshee is out because it looks old. The 400EX needs
    updated. The Cannondale looks like a bug. The Suzuki, Kawasaki and the
    Raptor all look oddly similar.

    The most comfortable seat goes to the DS650 (wrap-around front), and the
    Suzuki and Kawasaki (narrow tank, fat back).

    Handlebar width is different on all these ATVs, too. The Banshee's feel
    short. The Raptor's feel tall. The DS650's feel wide and the Predator's feel
    narrow and out of position. Our test riders were mixed about the narrow hand
    grips and bars on the Cannibal. Kawasaki and Suzuki are as close to ideal as
    possible. The 400EX's bars are nice, but were a little stiff to turn for
    some riders. The lighting champ is the Bombardier, though the Raptor has
    coolest-looking lights.

    ATV News
    Suzuki Z400

    Our test riders gave high marks to every machine for overall quality. Some
    said the new Polaris has proven "it's not a Scrambler," and though it needs
    small improvements, it has lots of potential.

    Mini-Shootouts »
    ----

    Because we know you will compare certain machines for certain reasons, we
    did, too.

    The DS650 and Raptor 660R are the desert, grand prix-style quads. The DS650
    has proven more durable in desert racing and is ideal for large riders. The
    Raptor is fun everywhere, except maybe a tight, twisty forest ride.

    The Predator and Cannibal go head-to-head as the most race-ready quads. They
    both want to be ridden hard and fast and both are blessed with aftermarket
    type suspensions. We pick the Predator here because it has better power and
    better handling - we can change those rear tires.

    ATV News
    Polaris Predator
    The three 400s (Honda, Kawi and Suzuki) are arguably similar in style and
    approach. The Honda lacks power, but can do the same stuff the new 400s can;
    it's definitely the most predictable quad of the bunch. The new quads offer
    more power, a better suspension and reverse.

    That leaves the Banshee. First, it's the only two-stroke. Second, it's old
    yet unique. Finally, it's been ridden everywhere, so feel free to compare it
    to all these quads, some which specialize in conquering certain terrain.

    Finally, our acceleration numbers in this SoCal terrain say the DS650,
    Cannibal, Predator and Raptor should be comparable. Based on their times,
    the three 400s and the Banshee would be another great four-quad shootout.

    Winner »
    ----

    Our pick could change if we held the same shootout in a different location.
    If we tested in the dense forests back east, or in the sand dunes, for
    example. By a majority vote - four test riders - the Polaris Predator is our
    2003 shootout winner.

    The Predator has more power than the Suzuki and Kawasaki and is equal to the
    Cannibal, Raptor and DS650. It didn't have the fastest acceleration times at
    this location, but it was one of the top performers. Aside from the wrong
    tire for this location, the Predator has the complete engine, chassis and
    handling package riders want. Its highly adjustable suspension and
    sub-$6,000 price take it over the top.

    Two test riders picked the Suzuki and Kawasaki, equally, as their top quads.
    They argue these quads are the best all-around performers, for the "average"
    sport ATV rider. They said the two 400s have the most controllable engine
    that combines the best with their chassis and handling.

    One test rider said the Raptor has near-perfect power and that his lap times
    were the quickest on the Yamaha. He liked the suspension for this location
    and felt the Raptor offered the best comfort levels for him.

    Like you, we have our own likes and dislikes about certain machines. Decide
    what features you want in a quad and pick your own winner.

    Jtyc, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 4, 2003
  4. DaveT

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: Polaris Predator Wins Sport Quad Showdown

    > D'oh!
    > And this applies to this newsgroup in what way?

    It doesn't.

    Jtyc, Nov 4, 2003
  5. DaveT

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    well good for you! but i still don't give a shit! so why don't you go off
    and stay up all night and install samba 3 for yourself!

    ry

    "DaveT" <> wrote in

    Rowdy Yates, Nov 5, 2003
  6. DaveT

    Consultant Guest

    Re: Polaris Predator Wins Sport Quad Showdown

    oh it does, you just dont know it yet

    Consultant, Nov 5, 2003
  7. DaveT

    noone Guest

    Re: Polaris Predator Wins Sport Quad Showdown

    wait until you see your next cert exam. it will have a
    question something like: you need to configure 42 ATV's
    for 3 different levels of performance hot, medium, slow.
    from the information in the scenario, select the best
    models to match with the criteria needed and explain
    why...

    noone, Nov 5, 2003
  8. DaveT

    Jeff Rush Guest

    With all the virus's out there attacking the windows servers with secured
    source code, how secure would you be running an opensource server?

    Would you really consider trusting your enterprise and mission critical data
    on an open source server?? Sounds scary to me...

    Jeff

    Jeff Rush, Nov 6, 2003
  9. DaveT

    pheonix1t Guest

    Re: Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file servingperformance

    Jeff Rush wrote:
    > With all the virus's out there attacking the windows servers with secured
    > source code, how secure would you be running an opensource server?
    >
    > Would you really consider trusting your enterprise and mission critical data
    > on an open source server?? Sounds scary to me...

    wow...this makes it abundantly clear how much you know (or actually
    don't know). Viruses only work on MS products! In other words, a
    microsoft virus doesn't do anything to other operating systems. So,
    your desktops can be windows XP, but if your servers are Apple, Unix,
    Linux, AS/400, VMS, etc., those servers ARE NOT affected by the viruses
    that devastate the windows workstations.
    It is possible to have security holes in your network, but this isn't
    the same as problems with viruses. Most of the time, security holes in
    networks are due to incompetent staff that didn't set up the network
    correctly. (This is very common with firewalls).

    Also, since it seems you don't know what you're talking about, a virus
    is different from a security hole. Someone using telnet to access their
    routers or servers is a security problem due to the data being
    transmitted across in clear text. Telnet isn't a virus, it's a security
    liability...or a security hole - it all depends on which side of the
    firewall you're sitting on.
    FYI, open-source products have a track record of being much more stable
    and secure than microsoft products. I guess you don't know that Apache
    is the most popular web server in the world, or that sendmail is the
    most popular email server in the world. Most of these products run on
    unix or linux machines!

    Lastly, in regards to trusting your important data to open-source
    products, a lot of Wall Street banks run linux or unix in their data
    centers. I can't think of a better example of a mission-critical
    setting. The reason why they only use unix or linux - MS isn't good
    enough to handle that sort of data center environment! Do some research
    and see for yourself. The high end of the server market is OWNED by
    Unix, Linux is starting to get in there now. Mickeysoft has been trying
    to get into the high end server market for years now! But due to all
    the problems MS Windows has with serious security issues and a platform
    that can't be trusted for anything very serious - they have not been
    able to make any sort of serious market gains on the high end.
    And now Linux has made them realize their aspirations for getting into
    the high end of the market will have to wait even longer. Linux isn't
    the answer to everything, but in a lot of cases, it's a far superior
    choice to using windows. Hell, even for doing basic file/print sharing,
    linux running Samba 3 blows away Win2k3! And, linux isn't affected by
    viruses that would normally cause all sorts of problems for windows users!

    pheonix1t, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Get real!
    Can you say "Slapper"?
    Where the hell did you get the idea there are no Linux viruses?

    Interesting that you would mention Sendmail, since that program had a
    security hole that remained unpatched for 7 weeks.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 6, 2003
  11. DaveT

    pheonix1t Guest

    Re: Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file servingperformance

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User) wrote:
    > Get real!
    > Can you say "Slapper"?
    > Where the hell did you get the idea there are no Linux viruses?

    there aren't! name a virus that works the same way on MS and any other
    platform? I've seen clients with Apple Mac's that were on the same
    network as others with WINXP/2K machines. The windows machines were all
    messed up with blaster and sobig - the Apple machines weren't affected
    at all! The only sign they had that something was wrong was that the
    internet access got very slow (due to the routers being saturated by the
    MS viruses).
    Like I said, there are security holes on all platforms, nothing is
    perfect. But the amount of security issues that other platforms have
    are much less compared to MS, even when the other platforms have most of
    the market share! (for example, Apache has much less security problems
    than IIS and it has most of the market share for web servers! If the MS
    logic applied, then it should have most of the security problems...it
    doesn't! At one time, Gartner even recommended that everyone remove or
    avoid using IIS due to so many security problems!)

    pheonix1t, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Just because a windows virus doesn't infect a Linux box does not mean you
    are safe.
    Go to any AV site and do a search for Linux virus--and prepare yourself to
    be astounded with the results.

    As for more secure--yes,but not out of the box:
    Here are the OS specific patch counts so far this year (and please
    understand that I did not put these numbers together. I encourage everyone
    to validate these on your own):

    All OS bulletins to date
    OpenBSD 18
    SunLinux 24
    Trustix 24
    EnGarde 29
    Microsoft 35
    SuSE 44
    Sun 58
    Mandrake 102
    RedHat 102
    Debian 175

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 6, 2003
  13. DaveT

    pheonix1t Guest

    Re: Samba 3 runs rings around Windows Server 2003 in file servingperformance

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP (Shell/User) wrote:

    > Just because a windows virus doesn't infect a Linux box does not mean you
    > are safe.

    yes, I totally agree with you on that.

    As for the #'s below, this has been discussed on other lists (I'm on a
    few), the figures are a bit misleading. The linux distros include a lot
    of patches and/or updates for the loads of applications that they come
    with. A lot of the patches on suse or redhat, for example, are not for
    the operating system. They are all patches of course, but most of those
    are for the applications they come with. It's like if you take a total
    of all the patches for microsoft windows and microsoft office.
    Microsoft has seperate websites for the office updates....suse and
    redhat put them all together.

    pheonix1t, Nov 6, 2003
  14. By the way, don't get me wrong.
    I am a Linux fan even though my favorite Debian comes in on the bottom of
    that list.

    I am also a security freak that hates hearing people spreading the bull that
    Linux is immune to viruses. It give new Linux users a false sense of
    security and leads to tons of *nix zombies out there because no one warned
    them not to run with root privileges.

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 6, 2003
  15. DaveT

    |{evin Guest

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:53:49 GMT, pheonix1t
    <> wrote:

    >wow...this makes it abundantly clear how much you know (or actually
    >don't know). Viruses only work on MS products! In other words, a

    Actually, this makes it abundantly clear how much YOU don't know.

    |{evin, Nov 6, 2003
  16. True

    Marlin Munrow, Nov 6, 2003