Salary Question??

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by JO, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. JO

    JO Guest

    Well it's time for my company review again.

    Little background about me..
    Worked as tech support for the same computer company for 4 years.
    Bachelor degree in MIS..
    Certifications - A+, Network+, MCSA200

    Job Responsibilities
    We have a little over 50 employees.
    I take care of all the employee's computer support.
    I am responsible for all the network Infrastructure.(routers,hardware)
    I am responsible for all the network servers.
    Pretty much, if there is a computer problem they come to me....

    Job location (Oklahoma City)
    I am always wondering what other tech guys in the field are making.
    I make in the mid 30's now, and wondering what would be a good raise.

    THANKS
    JO

    JO, Nov 22, 2003

  2. JO

    Guest Guest

    I am in a similar situation. I am the network
    administrator for about 60 users in two locations. I have
    three servers (email / SQL / file&print) all microsoft. I
    make about $60k as the sole tech for the company. I have
    a background working for large corporations and I have my
    MCSE NT, MCP Win2k, and I am almost MCSE 2003+Security.
    I still have to take 70-291 and 70-294.

    security, patches, spam,
    >certificates
    >
    >If you've recently implimenting/supporting some of these

    then it's got to be
    >worth a pay rise... if not then it gives you an idea

    what to think about

    >"pheonix1t" <> wrote

    in message
    >> JO wrote:
    >> > Well it's time for my company review again.
    >> >

    >> > Little background about me..
    >> > Worked as tech support for the same computer company

    for 4 years.
    >> > Bachelor degree in MIS..
    >> > Certifications - A+, Network+, MCSA200
    >> >
    >> > Job Responsibilities
    >> > We have a little over 50 employees.
    >> > I take care of all the employee's computer support.
    >> > I am responsible for all the network Infrastructure.

    (routers,hardware)
    >> > I am responsible for all the network servers.
    >> > Pretty much, if there is a computer problem they

    come to me....

    >> > Job location (Oklahoma City)
    >> > I am always wondering what other tech guys in the

    field are making.
    >> > I make in the mid 30's now, and wondering what would

    be a good raise.

    >> > THANKS
    >> > JO
    >> >

    >> in the current job market...you should be glad you

    have a steady
    >> paycheck! That's about the average rate I've seen for

    a MS only system
    >> admin. these days. If you could add experience with

    databases and
    >> programming that only benefits you. If you could also

    add unix and/or
    >> linux admin experience this is a huge PLUS. Cisco is

    also very good to
    >> know....especially the PIX boxes (usually along with

    VPN
    >> issues/configurations).
    >>
    >> After a while, operating systems in general are very

    similar in
    >> concepts...databases too....actually programming as

    well! It's just the
    >> way each vendor or language goes about doing the tasks

    that's slightly

    Guest, Nov 25, 2003

  3. JO

    Consultant Guest

    be happy with what you are getting for managing such a small infrastrure

    Consultant, Nov 25, 2003
  4. JO

    Dave Marden Guest

    I make about $90,000 to $95,000, and I am an electrician.

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 21, 2004
  5. > I make about $90,000 to $95,000, and I am an electrician.

    Did you use transcenders to become an electrician?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2004
  6. JO

    Dave Marden Guest

    Here are my certs.

    Dave Marden
    MS-NOBODY

    LOL

    I am however working towards my MCSE. Just getting started though. Don't
    plan to try to get a job doing System Admin work, just enjoy it.

    Dave Marden, Jan 21, 2004
  7. >I am however working towards my MCSE. Just getting started though. Don't
    >plan to try to get a job doing System Admin work, just enjoy it.

    Fair enough, Good luck.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2004
  8. JO

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > I am however working towards my MCSE. Just getting started though.
    Don't
    > plan to try to get a job doing System Admin work, just enjoy it.

    Noble cause. At 95 grand, I wouldn't quit my day job, either. Good luck!

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Jan 21, 2004
  9. JO

    kpg Guest

    > I make about $90,000 to $95,000, and I am an electrician.

    Hey Dave,

    I've noticed a lot of electricians are "crossing over" and doing network
    cable wiring and testing work. I've wondered how easy (or hard) it would be
    for one of these "data" electricians to start hooking up and configuring the
    equipment that connects to the network, switches, routers, computers...

    I'm a programmer trying to become a generic 'computer guy' that fixes
    whatever problem you have and I have had to study wiring and telephone
    system setups (not to mention data cabling) to handle some of the problems
    I've encountered.

    I was just wondering if you were doing the same but in the opposite
    direction, you know, electrician to computer rather than computer to
    electrician.

    Anyway after looking at numerous salary surveys of MCP/MCSA/MCSE's I've
    often wondered why anyone with enough intelligence (present luring company
    excluded, of course) to become proficient in this field would work for the
    rather low pay it has to offer. I know that the "average" salary is for
    'average' performance and if you are really talented you can write your own
    ticket, but lets face it, most people aren't.

    kpg
    over 70k but under 90k
    I should have gone to trade school instead of college

    kpg, Jan 21, 2004
  10. I make $110K a year and I am not an electrician.

    --
    Politician Spock
    Thug #24601

    Politician Spock, Jan 21, 2004
  11. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 21, 2004
  12. JO

    Dave Marden Guest

    I don't have any plans to go out looking for work once I obtain my MCSE,
    but I guess in a perfect world I could open shop setting up networks for
    small - mid sized local businesses later in life. I am currently 31 years
    old and my true passion is computers. As an electrician in a big
    organization, I have the opportunity to install Fiber optics runs, neworking
    gear, and we run a ton of CAT-5 cable. Another thing we do alot of is
    programming programmable logic controllers, which is probably my forte'.
    The two jobs do in fact have a lot of common ground.

    You ask how hard it would be to cross over to doing network cabling,
    gear set up but we already do all of that.

    Electrician is a good job, but probably the worst part of it is how
    broad of a title it really is. One day you may be running 500 MCM Cable (11
    pounds per foot), then the next day you are running CAT-5 (1 ounce per foot,
    or there abouts, lol), and the next day your trouble shooting an engineers
    programming job. It is a very broad job description, but for some reason,
    most of the electricians I know want to know more, and more.

    Dave Marden

    Dave Marden, Jan 21, 2004
  13. JO

    Dave Marden Guest

    Very Nice.

    Dave Marden, Jan 21, 2004
  14. > Electrician is a good job, but probably the worst part of it is how
    >broad of a title it really is. One day you may be running 500 MCM Cable (11
    >pounds per foot), then the next day you are running CAT-5 (1 ounce per foot,
    >or there abouts, lol), and the next day your trouble shooting an engineers
    >programming job.

    What about putting in light switches and changing fuses! hee, hee..

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jan 21, 2004
  15. JO

    Dave Marden Guest

    Yep, we even do that, lol

    Dave

    Dave Marden, Jan 22, 2004
  16. JO

    Brat Guest

    I make... ummm ... no wait... hell do I even make ANY money? oh yes... as I
    was saying... I make $8000 CDN annually... lol thats a pension for ya ... I
    applied for 6 jobs this week... all administration (clerk)... hmmm I am
    sensing a trend here... *sigh*... where did I put my CCIE text books again?

    --
    Sue Thugette #69

    Brat, Jan 22, 2004