    be at least some MS certifications for some of the staff?
    Can anyone confirm this?

    tj
    TJ, Jul 23, 2007

  2. TJ

    RemoteShark Guest

    first of all, well done on passing your exams. That is of course the first
    step. I can offer some of my personal opinions and experiences talking to
    companies and personnel managers even if it might not please you much ;-). To
    my knowledge an MCP is infrequently honoured concerning salaries, it's a kind
    of "driver's license" issue, i.e. if you don't have it, people will ask why
    not resp. not employ you, but if you have got it, it's considered a "minimal
    requirement" by many companies nowadays as already over 1.8 million people
    are MS certified. Of course this depends on the type of job and the
    geogaphical region. Personally I haven't heard of anyone getting a raise out
    of an MCP but it can happen, of course.

    In my opinion it comes down to this: Jobs are a market place. If your work
    is worth more than what you get it's best (for yourself as well as for your
    manager) to prove it. Qualification might help, but work performance should
    be much more important. If you look around and find a job that fits your
    requirements and pays better, take it or go to your manager and ask for a
    raise. She/he may do so or not, and then you may stay or not. Isn't it so?

    Good luck.
    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, Jul 23, 2007

  3. TJ

    TJ Guest

    true...but my performance here is in my opinion very good since what I do,
    nobody else can or is willing. I have already ordered the books for MCSA
    which is next on the list and informed them of my plans...it made no
    impression on them....
    perhaps it is time to be looking around...
    really a shame that they cannot see or understand what is involved in
    getting these MS certs.....for me it was a lot of work...

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  4. TJ

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    On Jul 23, 8:22 am, "TJ" <> wrote:
    > true...but my performance here is in my opinion very good since what I do,
    > nobody else can or is willing. I have already ordered the books for MCSA
    > which is next on the list and informed them of my plans...it made no
    > impression on them....
    > perhaps it is time to be looking around...
    > really a shame that they cannot see or understand what is involved in
    > getting these MS certs.....for me it was a lot of work...
    >
    > "RemoteShark" <> wrote in message

    > > first of all, well done on passing your exams. That is of course the first
    > > step. I can offer some of my personal opinions and experiences talking to
    > > companies and personnel managers even if it might not please you much ;-).
    > > my knowledge an MCP is infrequently honoured concerning salaries, it's a
    > > kind
    > > of "driver's license" issue, i.e. if you don't have it, people will ask
    > > why
    > > not resp. not employ you, but if you have got it, it's considered a
    > > "minimal
    > > requirement" by many companies nowadays as already over 1.8 million people
    > > are MS certified. Of course this depends on the type of job and the
    > > geogaphical region. Personally I haven't heard of anyone getting a raise
    > > out
    > > of an MCP but it can happen, of course.

    > > In my opinion it comes down to this: Jobs are a market place. If your work
    > > is worth more than what you get it's best (for yourself as well as for
    > > your
    > > manager) to prove it. Qualification might help, but work performance
    > > should
    > > be much more important. If you look around and find a job that fits your
    > > requirements and pays better, take it or go to your manager and ask for a
    > > raise. She/he may do so or not, and then you may stay or not. Isn't it so?

    > > Good luck.
    > > RemoteShark MCP

    > > "TJ" wrote:

    > >> asked for a salary increase after doing the MCDST at my own expence and
    > >> time since the company I work for wouldn't pay for even a book or exam
    > >> and
    > >> was told, basically, no to the raise. Odd thing is , is that this company
    > >> wants to become a Gold MS member and I heard that this requires that
    > >> there
    > >> be at least some MS certifications for some of the staff?
    > >> Can anyone confirm this?

    > >> tj- Hide quoted text -

    I feel your pain buddy. Same exact situation here. I pursued MCDST and
    got it on my own. My work, after bugging them to no end, said that
    they would only reimburse me for the cost of the books, assuming that
    they got to keep them! Screw that! I got them all off Amazon shipped
    for around $31, so book money wasn't the issue. I begged to have them
    reimburse me for a passed exam....nada. They even force me to take
    vacation to go take the tests. Talk about cheap.

    The stuff I learned when getting the MCDST "directly" improved the
    fine tunning of our network and computer environment. I discovered
    problems I never knew we had after taking those exams. I point this
    out to the HR staff. I show them examples of stuff that has been fixed
    or processes improved because of my knowledge. They don't give 1
    squat. They finaly gave me something in writting to shut me up that
    basically says very clearly that "my position does not require any
    professional certifications, therefore they will not compensate me for
    obtaining them". So basically they don't want people to learn, or
    expand their knowledge at all. After that, I immediately updated my
    resume and posted it on Careerbuilder.com that day. I have started
    getting calls for my MCDST which is very motivating to continue
    studying for MCSE. It is a pleasant surprise to realize that employers
    are starting to call me instead of the other way around. My MCDST gave
    me that power.

    I have interviewed a few times, but I am holding out for a job I want,
    not a job I need. The only perk of staying here is that I kinda can do
    whatever I want, so I spend many days just studying lol. Shhhh don't
    tell them!

    Some employers can't realize the potential in someone untill they are
    gone. Oh well, there is always another job out there. Good luck with
    your studies.
    DJ
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 23, 2007
  5. TJ

    TheITGirl Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > true...but my performance here is in my opinion very good since what I do,
    > nobody else can or is willing. I have already ordered the books for MCSA
    > which is next on the list and informed them of my plans...it made no
    > impression on them....
    > perhaps it is time to be looking around...
    > really a shame that they cannot see or understand what is involved in
    > getting these MS certs.....for me it was a lot of work...

    Hi TJ

    Does your company have annual pay reviews? If so, your MCDST qualification
    *may* be taken into account at that time. It is unusual, in my experience,
    for a company to grant a pay increase other than at annual review time,
    unless you have earned a promotion, or they are desperate to keep you.

    With regard to that last point, you may find that, if you do find an
    alternative better-paid job, your current employer offers to match the new
    salary if you agree to stay on. This has happened to me on occasion. You
    would then need to ask yourself whether you want to stay with a company
    where you had to threaten to leave before you got a pay increase. There is
    also the chance that, come annual review time, you would not get a further
    increase so you would not be any better off.

    You may therefore prefer to take your chances with another company. It all
    depends on how much you enjoy working for your current employer.

    I wish you well whatever you decide to do.

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Jul 23, 2007
  6. TJ

    TJ Guest

    everything you said is so true..I used my holidays to for studying and exam
    writing. What is wrong here?
    this is crazy!

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  7. TJ

    TJ Guest

    my last review and pay raise was three years ago.....you're absolutely right
    though..why stay with a company if you have to threaten to leave before they
    listen.......I was under the impression (perhaps naively) that these certs
    would help...maybe I just need to find a place where it WILL matter...

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  8. TJ

    John R Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > true...but my performance here is in my opinion very good since what I do,
    > nobody else can or is willing. I have already ordered the books for MCSA
    > which is next on the list and informed them of my plans...it made no
    > impression on them....
    > perhaps it is time to be looking around...
    > really a shame that they cannot see or understand what is involved in
    > getting these MS certs.....for me it was a lot of work...

    One of the ways that Gold Partners obtain and maintain that status is
    through a "point" system. There are many ways to earn points. One way, is
    to have certified people on staff. For example, an MCP might be 1 point, a
    MCDST 2 points, MCSA 3 points, etc. (I am not sure of the exact scale, but
    it is something like that). When your employer asks you to associate your
    MCP ID with them so they can get the points, ask them what has changed that
    they now value your certification when they didn't before. (Of course,
    don't get yourself fired, but you will have a little more leverage at that
    point). Maybe at least get them to reimburse you test fees before you agree
    to associate your MCP ID with them.

    John R
    John R, Jul 23, 2007
  9. TJ

    TJ Guest

    really?...interesting....that would be a tenable position for me to be
    in....

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  10. TJ

    John R Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > really?...interesting....that would be a tenable position for me to be
    > in....
    >

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >>> true...but my performance here is in my opinion very good since what I
    >>> do, nobody else can or is willing. I have already ordered the books for
    >>> MCSA which is next on the list and informed them of my plans...it made
    >>> no impression on them....
    >>> perhaps it is time to be looking around...
    >>> really a shame that they cannot see or understand what is involved in
    >>> getting these MS certs.....for me it was a lot of work...
    >>>

    >> One of the ways that Gold Partners obtain and maintain that status is
    >> through a "point" system. There are many ways to earn points. One way,
    >> is to have certified people on staff. For example, an MCP might be 1
    >> point, a MCDST 2 points, MCSA 3 points, etc. (I am not sure of the exact
    >> scale, but it is something like that). When your employer asks you to
    >> associate your MCP ID with them so they can get the points, ask them what
    >> has changed that they now value your certification when they didn't
    >> before. (Of course, don't get yourself fired, but you will have a little
    >> more leverage at that point). Maybe at least get them to reimburse you
    >> test fees before you agree to associate your MCP ID with them.
    >>
    >> John R

    Yea, I can see the conversation now...

    Boss - "I need you to register your MCP ID with our organization"
    You - "Gee, I'd love to, but I've got this letter that says that my position
    does not require certifications"
    Boss - "Yea, well now it does"
    You - "So, what's in it for me?"
    Boss - "Maybe you'll get to keep your job"

    At least, that is how it would go here, lol.

    Good luck to you.

    John R
    John R, Jul 23, 2007
  11. TJ

    TJ Guest

    good one..

    tj

    TJ, Jul 23, 2007
  12. "TJ" <> wrote in message

    In reading all of the posts in the thread, I agree with them all. Now,
    with that said, let us get back to your original post. You asked a
    question that John R gave you the answer. You also made a comment that
    you studied for the MCDST "at my own experience and time since the
    company I work for wouldn't pay for even a book or exam." My question is
    this: Did you ask them beforehand if, by achieving this certification
    will I get a raise? Just curious...

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Jul 23, 2007
  13. TJ

    RemoteShark Guest

    Don't let your current job be a brick wall for you. Step over it, under it,
    around it... plan and do your next exams, be in the know. Knowledge is power,
    power is money etc etc... I would even go as far as taking a couple of
    interviews if they are offered, the worst thing that can happen is that you
    maybe offered a better job in an enviroment that nurtures these M$ certs and
    will catapult you further than MCSA, earning you more experience and knowhow,
    soon you will be looking back at the old company you worked at, to think...
    why did I put up with all that then. Maybe the more powerful you are in your
    current job, the more likely you have a bigger say in the future. Be smart
    about it all.

    **If you are not willing to do things you haven't done, you will never grow.**

    RemoteShark MCP

    RemoteShark, Jul 24, 2007
  14. TJ

    Jo Guest

    I guess I'm living in the dream world. My boss, upon my first year
    evaluation, demanded that I get a Microsoft Certification. So, the bank I
    work for paid for my books and my tests (if I passed). It's not to say I
    will get a salary increase for all my hard work in studying and getting
    certified, but at least I know how blessed I am after reading these posts.

    TJ - do what RemoteShark emphasizes - get the knowledge and get out of
    there! A supressed individual becomes a slave to their employer.
    --
    Motochick

    Jo, Jul 25, 2007
  15. TJ

    TJ Guest

    jo,

    am trying my best to "get the hell out"....isn't to easy up here at the
    moment but I will keep trying...
    something will turn up ....it has too...

    TJ, Jul 25, 2007
  16. TJ

    djpimpdaddy Guest

    Just keep wishing upon a star man! ...that and invest heavily in
    Disney.

    Do they have any good online job posting services like
    Carrerbuilder.com in Canada?

    Pimp
    djpimpdaddy, Jul 25, 2007
  17. TJ

    TJ Guest

    they have some...I have my resume on the better ones......something will
    turn up..unfortunately I cannot afford to tell them to "take this job and
    shuv it".....

    --
    TJ, MCDST

    TJ, Jul 25, 2007