    For safety: what changes should I make to my wireless settings when I access
    the internet in a hotel? Can it be automated with a desktop shortcut?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jan 13, 2009

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Using Windows XP Media center.
    >
    > For safety: what changes should I make to my wireless settings when I
    > access the internet in a hotel? Can it be automated with a desktop
    > shortcut?
    >
    > Jeff

    I recommend configuring the XP Windows Firewall for "No exceptions"
    while at public wireless hotspots or untrusted networks in general. With
    Vista configure the network as "Public". Both disable incoming probes
    and file and print sharing in general. Only connect to bank sites,
    webmail or email, etc using SSL connections. Some folks go so far as to
    only surf from public sites through VPN or SSH tunnels back to their
    business or home networks.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 13, 2009

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    >> Using Windows XP Media center.
    >>
    >> For safety: what changes should I make to my wireless settings when I
    >> access the internet in a hotel? Can it be automated with a desktop
    >> shortcut?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > I recommend configuring the XP Windows Firewall for "No exceptions" while
    > at public wireless hotspots or untrusted networks in general. With Vista
    > configure the network as "Public". Both disable incoming probes and file
    > and print sharing in general. Only connect to bank sites, webmail or
    > email, etc using SSL connections. Some folks go so far as to only surf
    > from public sites through VPN or SSH tunnels back to their business or
    > home networks.

    I use Zone Alarm free, not Windows' Firewall. Is there a similar setting
    for "No Exceptions".

    How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Guest

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?

    Control Panel - Network Connections - look at your ethernet adapter
    properties

    John, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Hi
    Option One, the easy way.
    At home if you have a Network use IPs that are not of the default of the
    Router.
    E.g. if your system set to the typical 192.168.1.x use 192.168.155.x (or any
    thing similar with high atypical number).
    Make sure that your Firewall allows the traffic on the Local network that is
    restricted to the range of IPs in your home Network.
    I.e. only computers that are using the 192.168.155.x can access your
    computer.
    The above is usually a simple setting in the Firewall Trusted Zone.
    As a result when you are on another Network local traffic would not be
    allowed but you would be able to connect to the Internet.
    Option two, the Not so easy way, but safer.
    When on the road disable the Computer's File Sharing.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 13, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "John" <a> wrote in message news:...

    > <> wrote in message
    >> How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?
    >>

    > Control Panel - Network Connections - look at your ethernet adapter
    > properties

    Thank you. I find that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is
    apparently installed but not selected (the box is not checked). Is that it?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you. Where and how do I disable the Computer's File Sharing?

    As suggested, I looked at Control Panel - Network Connections - ethernet
    adapter properties. I find that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft
    Networks" is listed (apparently installed) but not selected (the box is not
    checked). Is that it?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jan 14, 2009
  8. <> wrote in message
    >>> Using Windows XP Media center.
    >>>
    >>> For safety: what changes should I make to my wireless settings when
    >>> I access the internet in a hotel? Can it be automated with a
    >>> desktop shortcut?
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    >> I recommend configuring the XP Windows Firewall for "No exceptions"
    >> while at public wireless hotspots or untrusted networks in general.
    >> With Vista configure the network as "Public". Both disable incoming
    >> probes and file and print sharing in general. Only connect to bank
    >> sites, webmail or email, etc using SSL connections. Some folks go so
    >> far as to only surf from public sites through VPN or SSH tunnels back
    >> to their business or home networks.

    > I use Zone Alarm free, not Windows' Firewall. Is there a similar
    > setting for "No Exceptions".
    >
    > How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?
    >
    > Jeff

    You would need to check the ZA help pages or forums for help with that.
    The Windows Firewall "No exceptions" setting effectively blocks file and
    print sharing.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 14, 2009
  9. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message

    >>> I recommend configuring the XP Windows Firewall for "No exceptions"
    >>> while at public wireless hotspots or untrusted networks in general.
    >>> With Vista configure the network as "Public". Both disable incoming
    >>> probes and file and print sharing in general. Only connect to bank
    >>> sites, webmail or email, etc using SSL connections. Some folks go so
    >>> far as to only surf from public sites through VPN or SSH tunnels
    >>> back to their business or home networks.

    >> I use Zone Alarm free, not Windows' Firewall. Is there a similar
    >> setting for "No Exceptions".
    >>
    >> How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > You would need to check the ZA help pages or forums for help with
    > that. The Windows Firewall "No exceptions" setting effectively blocks
    > file and print sharing.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    You may be interested in this if you fall back to the Windows Firewall.
    You can, as an administrator, run netsh commands from the command line
    and manipulate the Windows Firewall. The same document in two different
    formats...

    http://tinyurl.com/7djp26

    http://www.infosecwriters.com/text_resources/pdf/winxp_firewall_PShah.pdf

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 14, 2009
  10. "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> I use Zone Alarm free, not Windows' Firewall. Is there a similar
    >>> setting for "No Exceptions".
    >>>
    >>> How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>>

    >> You would need to check the ZA help pages or forums for help with
    >> that. The Windows Firewall "No exceptions" setting effectively blocks
    >> file and print sharing.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)
    >>
    >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >> How to ask a question
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
    >>

    > You may be interested in this if you fall back to the Windows
    > Firewall. You can, as an administrator, run netsh commands from the
    > command line and manipulate the Windows Firewall. The same document in
    > two different formats...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/7djp26
    >
    > http://www.infosecwriters.com/text_resources/pdf/winxp_firewall_PShah.pdf
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Lastly here is the MSFT netsh command syntax page. Again you can run
    netsh commands from the command line or a batch file as an
    administrator...

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490617.aspx#EGAA

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jan 14, 2009
  11. Hi
    Start Windows Explorer, Right click on the Drives/Folders that are marked as
    shared, choose the share option and Unshare.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2009
  12. Guest

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "John" <a> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> How do I disable file and print sharing in Windows XP?
    >>>

    >> Control Panel - Network Connections - look at your ethernet adapter
    >> properties

    > Thank you. I find that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    > is apparently installed but not selected (the box is not checked). Is
    > that it?

    You got it.

    John, Jan 14, 2009
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you. That is what I needed to know.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jan 14, 2009