    the installation reset some of my Windows Firewall or Internet Protocol
    Properties settings?

    Thanks for any help.

    =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=, Nov 19, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=

    GTS Guest

    The two items you list are not alternative options for sharing files. "File
    and Printer Sharing" must be permitted in the Windows Firewall for file
    sharing. NetBIOS settings affect the ability to browse shares. You say
    you have a problem now sharing files, but give no useful information. What
    is the problem? Is it the same for both computers? Did you check the
    Windows Firewall settings? It's unlikely the printer changes firewall or
    network settings. Is it an Ethernet connected printer or connected to a
    workstation?

    GTS, Nov 20, 2005

  3. The problem is that when I go to My Network Places on my desktop (the "host"
    computer), the SharedDocs folder on my Laptop computer (the "client") does
    not appear. The laptop is running Windows Firewall, as it always has, but
    prior to the printer installation, I was always able to access the shared
    folders on my laptop computer from my desktop. (As an aside, I have never
    been able to access shared files on the desktop from my laptop without
    disabling the desktop's firewall, which is McAfee Personal Firewall). I
    could not tell you what the settings were on the laptop's Windows Firewall
    prior to the printer install, that is why I'm asking which is the safest
    course to share files. I essentially want to return to pre-printer install
    settings if possible.

    The printer is connected to the wireless router via Ethernet cable. What
    was installed on the laptop is the software/drivers that allow the laptop to
    connect to the networked computer.

    Does that help?

    =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=, Nov 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=

    GTS Guest

    - Laptop and Windows Firewall - Open Windows Firewall from Control Panel.
    On the Exceptions tab File and Printer Sharing should be checked.
    - Desktop and McAfee PF - You should not need to disable this for sharing.
    You need to enable sharing on the local network. I don't remember off the
    top of my head the setting in McAfee for this. Check the program help - it
    will certainly address this. There is either a specific item or a trusted
    zone where you can set the IP address (or range) of workstations on your
    network.

    See these two links for help with troubleshooting sharing problems.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030206.shtml

    GTS, Nov 21, 2005