    Appreciate any advise.

    Thanks

    Mac
    Mac, Jun 23, 2007

  2. Mac

    Loud Heart Guest

    Mac wrote:
    > Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by
    > using the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    > On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is now
    > safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message on my
    > computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    > Appreciate any advise.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mac

    There should be a USB icon located next or near system clock. The icon
    has a green colored arrow pointing to southwest over what appears to be
    a device. Double click on that, and it should bring up a "Safely Remove
    Hardware" window. Select the device from the "Hardware devices:" area
    list to stop it. Then, click the "Stop" button. Another window ("Stop
    a Hardware device") pops up. Select the device again. The USB icon now
    will display a message that you are looking for.

    From my experience on my PC, however, the message appears fairly short
    period of time before it and the USB icon will disappear altogether.
    --

    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum
    Loud Heart, Jun 23, 2007

  3. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Loud Heart wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    >> Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by
    >> using the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    >> On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is
    >> now safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message
    >> on my computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    >> Appreciate any advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mac

    > There should be a USB icon located next or near system clock. The icon
    > has a green colored arrow pointing to southwest over what appears to be
    > a device. Double click on that, and it should bring up a "Safely Remove
    > Hardware" window. Select the device from the "Hardware devices:" area
    > list to stop it. Then, click the "Stop" button. Another window ("Stop
    > a Hardware device") pops up. Select the device again. The USB icon now
    > will display a message that you are looking for.
    >
    > From my experience on my PC, however, the message appears fairly short
    > period of time before it and the USB icon will disappear altogether.

    I should have been more specific but couldn't think what that icon was
    called. However that is just what I meant. I double click that icon you
    refer to and select the usb drive letter. But I do not get the message
    to say that it is now safe to remove the device. Works fine on my laptop
    but not on this desktop. Any suggestions?

    Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

    Regards

    Mac
    Mac, Jun 23, 2007
  4. Mac

    Fred Guest

    "Mac" <-spam.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by using
    > the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    > On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is now
    > safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message on my
    > computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    > Appreciate any advise.

    Chances are you have the usb drive configured for "Quick Removal" which
    negates the need to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" process.
    If the removeable drives policy was set to "Optimize For Performance" then
    Windows write caching would be enabled and you *would* need to safely remove
    the hardware to ensure data was written to the device from the cache before
    disconnection.
    Fred, Jun 23, 2007
  5. Mac

    Loud Heart Guest

    Mac wrote:
    > Loud Heart wrote:
    >> Mac wrote:
    >>> Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by
    >>> using the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    >>> On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is
    >>> now safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message
    >>> on my computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    >>> Appreciate any advise.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Mac

    >> There should be a USB icon located next or near system clock. The
    >> icon has a green colored arrow pointing to southwest over what appears
    >> to be a device. Double click on that, and it should bring up a
    >> "Safely Remove Hardware" window. Select the device from the "Hardware
    >> devices:" area list to stop it. Then, click the "Stop" button.
    >> Another window ("Stop a Hardware device") pops up. Select the device
    >> again. The USB icon now will display a message that you are looking for.
    >>
    >> From my experience on my PC, however, the message appears fairly
    >> short period of time before it and the USB icon will disappear
    >> altogether.

    > I should have been more specific but couldn't think what that icon was
    > called. However that is just what I meant. I double click that icon you
    > refer to and select the usb drive letter. But I do not get the message
    > to say that it is now safe to remove the device. Works fine on my laptop
    > but not on this desktop. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply though.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mac

    No problem, Mac.

    I don't know if this is the root cause to your problem. But try this:

    1. Control Panel > Accessibility Options
    2. Under the "General" tab and "Notification" section, there are two
    check boxes available. Both of these boxes are checked on my PC. I
    have tried both checked and unchecked, I still getting the notification
    message we've been talking about. Maybe I need to restart my computer
    once I make the changes to see the effect. Hmmm....

    Anyway, the two check boxes are:
    a) Give warning message when turning a feature on
    b) Make a sound when turning a feature on or off

    Perhaps, you have a better luck working with these check boxes.

    Sorry, I could not assist you. Good day. Well, actually, good night.
    --

    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum
    Loud Heart, Jun 23, 2007
  6. Mac

    Loud Heart Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > "Mac" <-spam.com> wrote in message
    >> Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by using
    >> the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    >> On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is now
    >> safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message on my
    >> computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    >> Appreciate any advise.

    > Chances are you have the usb drive configured for "Quick Removal" which
    > negates the need to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" process.
    > If the removeable drives policy was set to "Optimize For Performance" then
    > Windows write caching would be enabled and you *would* need to safely remove
    > the hardware to ensure data was written to the device from the cache before
    > disconnection.

    I tried both the optimize for quick removal and optimize for
    performance, and I am still getting the notification message.
    --

    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum
    Loud Heart, Jun 23, 2007
  7. On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:47:10 +0100, Mac <-spam.com> wrote:

    >I should have been more specific but couldn't think what that icon was
    >called. However that is just what I meant. I double click that icon you
    >refer to and select the usb drive letter. But I do not get the message
    >to say that it is now safe to remove the device. Works fine on my laptop
    >but not on this desktop. Any suggestions?

    The message did appear on my system until recently. It no longer
    appears after I double click the safe remove icon. Perhaps one the
    Windows updates got rid of it.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Jun 23, 2007
  8. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Mac wrote:
    > Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by
    > using the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    > On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is now
    > safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message on my
    > computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    > Appreciate any advise.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mac

    Tried the check box issue but no joy.
    Fred mentions a policy setting but I dont know anything about that.Where
    or how do I find where the "usb drive configured for "Quick Removal"
    setting is? And how do I set it to "Optimize For Performance"?

    Thanks

    Mac
    Mac, Jun 23, 2007
  9. Mac

    Loud Heart Guest

    Mac wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    >> Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing it safely by
    >> using the 'safely Remove Hardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    >> On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is
    >> now safe to remove the device'. How do I get it to show this message
    >> on my computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    >> Appreciate any advise.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Mac

    > Tried the check box issue but no joy.
    > Fred mentions a policy setting but I dont know anything about that.Where
    > or how do I find where the "usb drive configured for "Quick Removal"
    > setting is? And how do I set it to "Optimize For Performance"?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mac

    It's a bit of tricky.

    1. open Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager
    2. expand the "Disk drives" tree
    3. now, plug in your USB memory stick
    4. return to the tree and locate your memory drive and double click on
    that; mine says "USB Flash Memory USB Device"
    5. go to "Policies"

    Under the "Policies", you should find the two options we are talking about.
    --

    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum
    Loud Heart, Jun 23, 2007
  10. Mac

    Guest

    On 23 Jun, 21:25, Loud Heart <> wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    > > Mac wrote:
    > >> Whenever I use a usb memory stick I always try removing itsafelyby
    > >> using the 'safelyRemoveHardware' feature built into windows xp pro.
    > >> On other computers using the same OS a message appears saying'it is
    > >> now safe toremovethe device'. How do I get it to show this message
    > >> on my computer? Do I have to enable some feature or edit the registry?
    > >> Appreciate any advise.

    > >> Thanks

    > >> Mac

    > > Tried the check box issue but no joy.
    > > Fred mentions a policy setting but I dont know anything about that.Where
    > > or how do I find where the "usb drive configured for "Quick Removal"
    > > setting is? And how do I set it to "Optimize For Performance"?

    > > Thanks

    > > Mac

    > It's a bit of tricky.
    >
    > 1. open Control Panel > System >Hardware> Device Manager
    > 2. expand the "Disk drives" tree
    > 3. now, plug in your USB memory stick
    > 4. return to the tree and locate your memory drive and double click on
    > that; mine says "USB Flash Memory USB Device"
    > 5. go to "Policies"
    >
    > Under the "Policies", you should find the two options we are talking about.
    > --
    >
    > # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    > # classified ad + forum
    > # = a work in progress

    Hi

    Sorry for the delay in replying but this particular message has
    disappeared from my Thunderbird NG! Trawled through the groups to
    respond.
    Tried each of the 2 options you mention. No joy.
    Guess I shall ahve to live with it. Noticed a MS hotfix but I think
    you have to pay for it. Having already paid for Win XP I don't feel
    like shelling out the ready yet again for this. I think it was at this
    link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883517

    However many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

    Regards

    Mac
    , Jun 25, 2007
  11. On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:23:21 -0700, wrote:

    >Noticed a MS hotfix but I think
    >you have to pay for it. Having already paid for Win XP I don't feel
    >like shelling out the ready yet again for this.

    Hotfixes are free.

    Steve

    Steve Wolstenholme, Jun 25, 2007
  12. Mac

    Loud Heart Guest

    wrote:
    > On 23 Jun, 21:25, Loud Heart <> wrote:
    >> Mac wrote:
    >>> Tried the check box issue but no joy.
    >>> Fred mentions a policy setting but I dont know anything about that.Where
    >>> or how do I find where the "usb drive configured for "Quick Removal"
    >>> setting is? And how do I set it to "Optimize For Performance"?
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Mac

    >> It's a bit of tricky.
    >>
    >> 1. open Control Panel > System >Hardware> Device Manager
    >> 2. expand the "Disk drives" tree
    >> 3. now, plug in your USB memory stick
    >> 4. return to the tree and locate your memory drive and double click on
    >> that; mine says "USB Flash Memory USB Device"
    >> 5. go to "Policies"
    >>
    >> Under the "Policies", you should find the two options we are talking about.
    >> --
    >>
    >> # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    >> # classified ad + forum
    >> # = a work in progress

    > Hi
    >
    > Sorry for the delay in replying but this particular message has
    > disappeared from my Thunderbird NG! Trawled through the groups to
    > respond.
    > Tried each of the 2 options you mention. No joy.
    > Guess I shall ahve to live with it. Noticed a MS hotfix but I think
    > you have to pay for it. Having already paid for Win XP I don't feel
    > like shelling out the ready yet again for this. I think it was at this
    > link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883517
    >
    > However many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mac

    You are welcomed. Sorry, I wasn't too helpful.
    --
    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # classified ad + forum
    Loud Heart, Jun 25, 2007