    Has the computer suddenly decided I ought to remove something?

    "Add hardware" is on the control panel, but I can't see "Remove hardware".

    I leave all that to a computer man, anyway.

    Geopelia, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:39:13 +1300
    "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    > Why would an icon "Safely remove hardware" suddenly appear on the
    > tray? I have no intention of removing any hardware.
    > Has the computer suddenly decided I ought to remove something?
    >
    > "Add hardware" is on the control panel, but I can't see "Remove
    > hardware".
    >
    > I leave all that to a computer man, anyway.

    You have probably plugged in a USB device, camera usb drive etc?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

    Malcolm, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Crash Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:44:40 -0500, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:39:13 +1300
    >"Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Why would an icon "Safely remove hardware" suddenly appear on the
    >> tray? I have no intention of removing any hardware.
    >> Has the computer suddenly decided I ought to remove something?
    >>
    >> "Add hardware" is on the control panel, but I can't see "Remove
    >> hardware".
    >>
    >> I leave all that to a computer man, anyway.
    >>

    >You have probably plugged in a USB device, camera usb drive etc?

    Hi Geo,

    Just to amplify what Malcolm has said - you most likely have plugged
    in a USB device of some sort. There is a plethora of such devices -
    such as a digital camera, usb drive, mouse, keyboard, scanner etc.
    When you plugged this device in then Windows detected the device and
    displayed the 'safely remove hardware' icon.

    USB devices are designed to be 'hot-swappable' - which means you can
    plug them in and unplug them at any time without rebooting. When you
    plug something in Windows XP usually detects the new device
    automatically, however it is much harder to automatically detect that
    a device has been unplugged. The 'safely remove hardware' icon
    provides a way for you to tell Windows that you are about to unplug
    the device. Double-click the icon (it is always safe to do this) and
    you will see a list of devices (probably only 1 but there can be
    more). You can simply click on 'close' or 'properties' if you wish -
    nothing will have been done ('properties' will cause a list of the
    device properties) - or you can select a device and click on 'stop'.
    Windows will now 'turn off' the device and once this has been done you
    can physically unplug it.

    If the (or all) the USB device(s) are to be permanently plugged in
    then simply ignore this icon.

    I hope this helps.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 20, 2008
  4. Geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 21, 11:34 am, Crash <> wrote:

    > If the (or all) the USB device(s) are to be permanently plugged in
    > then simply ignore this icon.
    >
    > I hope this helps.

    Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system. This ensures
    any buffers are flushed, files are completely written and 'FAT's' and
    directory data up updated (Or equivalents such as inodes on other file
    system types). Otherwise you risk screwing up the file ystem and
    losing data, especially with any file you have 'open' or writing.

    It would not be too silly if there was a 'lock' on USB ports similar
    to the 'lock' on CD drives.

    peterwn, Mar 20, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <44c8c5ac-fda7-416a-87bd-
    >,
    says...
    > On Mar 21, 11:34 am, Crash <> wrote:
    >

    > > If the (or all) the USB device(s) are to be permanently plugged in
    > > then simply ignore this icon.
    > >
    > > I hope this helps.
    > >

    > Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    > memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    > applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system. This ensures
    > any buffers are flushed, files are completely written and 'FAT's' and
    > directory data up updated (Or equivalents such as inodes on other file
    > system types). Otherwise you risk screwing up the file ystem and
    > losing data, especially with any file you have 'open' or writing.
    >
    > It would not be too silly if there was a 'lock' on USB ports similar
    > to the 'lock' on CD drives.

    What lock on CD drives?

    It would piss a lot of folk off if there was some kind of mechanical
    lock on USB attached devices...

    Case in point: most of my clients now backup to USB removable drives
    (tape backups are history and expensive). Most have no access to the
    server console - so they just pull cable out of the drive, and put the
    next drive in (I educate them to ensuring the delay the swap for at
    least ten seconds).

    I've yet to see any problem - the drives are never 'stopped' via the
    safely remove hardware method (as said they have no access to the
    console).

    I do the same thing on my Server - there's no way I'm going to bother
    with turning the monitor on, or remoting on, and using the 'safely
    remove hardware' method. Waste of my time.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 20, 2008
  6. Hi there,

    Geopelia wrote:
    > Why would an icon "Safely remove hardware" suddenly appear on the tray? I
    > have no intention of removing any hardware.
    > Has the computer suddenly decided I ought to remove something?
    >
    > "Add hardware" is on the control panel, but I can't see "Remove hardware".
    >
    > I leave all that to a computer man, anyway.

    Normally you need to have a USB device plugged in to see that message,
    and on top of that you would normally have to click on its icon and
    choose "Safely remove" for Windows to disconnect the device and show
    that message. Is there no USB device attached? Its probably just
    Windows being dumb.

    Vista for me is doing some stupid crap recently...

    - It periodically disconnects my Tascam USB2 24/96 audio interface
    even in the middle of recording something. Consequently I get a
    nasty digital squelch, then silence. I need to replug the device
    and restart the ASIO/VST system to re-establish the Tascam link.
    It does it without recording software running either, or if the
    device is plugged in but not selected as the audio I/O

    - It trashed my graphics setup (NVidia 171.xx beta on a 8600M GT) by
    trying to overwrite that with some crap from Windowsupdate. Boy I
    rue the day when I turned on auto updates to stop the bitch popup!

    The whole laptop graphics driver thing is a fiasco. The latest GPU
    beta drivers for nvidia run brilliantly on my 8600M GT, allowing me
    to run Crysis on med settings at 1280x800. But I have to patch the
    installer before it will allow me to install, otherwise it claims
    my GPU is not supported. The Windowsupdate laptop gpu driver that Vista
    tried to install over my nice beta was the most buggy trashy driver I
    believe I've ever seen. Forget Crysis, it couldn't even drive my bloody
    1920x1200 panel at the correct resolution, and that native resolution
    was not available either! I had to reinstall the beta, patch it, and
    turn off auto-updates, but now the bitch bubble is back.

    Fucking shameful!

    --
    Kind regards

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 20, 2008
  7. In article
    <>,
    peterwn did write:

    > Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    > memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    > applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system.

    On Linux, you can mount the drive sync, use a journalling filesystem ...
    what's the problem? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > peterwn did write:
    >
    >> Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    >> memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    >> applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system.

    > On Linux, you can mount the drive sync, use a journalling filesystem ...
    > what's the problem? :)

    You can use ntfs and no write cache on windows too, but the problem is
    that no hardware devices will do anything but fat so your stuck with that.

    What would be better is if there was an eject button/light on the plug
    of the usb device so you could press it and it would do a force close of
    all files on the device and unmount it then light up to let you know you
    can unplug it.

    Richard, Mar 21, 2008
  9. In article <1206057975.835214@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> peterwn did write:
    >>
    >>> Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    >>> memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    >>> applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system.

    >> On Linux, you can mount the drive sync, use a journalling filesystem ...
    >> what's the problem? :)

    > You can use ntfs and no write cache on windows too, but the problem is
    > that no hardware devices will do anything but fat so your stuck with that.

    Really? I wasn't aware that any of the flash drives actually cared what
    filesystem you used on them.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 21, 2008
  10. Geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 21, 12:16 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <44c8c5ac-fda7-416a-87bd-
    > >,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Mar 21, 11:34 am, Crash <> wrote:

    > > > If the (or all) the USB device(s) are to be permanently plugged in
    > > > then simply ignore this icon.

    > > > I hope this helps.

    > > Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    > > memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    > > applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system. This ensures
    > > any buffers are flushed, files are completely written and 'FAT's' and
    > > directory data up updated (Or equivalents such as inodes on other file
    > > system types). Otherwise you risk screwing up the file ystem and
    > > losing data, especially with any file you have 'open' or writing.

    > > It would not be too silly if there was a 'lock' on USB ports similar
    > > to the 'lock' on CD drives.

    > What lock on CD drives?

    You will notice that you cannot open the CD drive when burning a CD.
    While under Windows you can always release a CD, Linux often 'locks'
    the drawer while the CD is 'mounted'. You need to un-mount or 'eject'
    the CD to physically remove it.

    > It would piss a lot of folk off if there was some kind of mechanical
    > lock on USB attached devices...

    Be as it may, it would be there to protect people from their own
    idiocy.

    > Case in point: most of my clients now backup to USB removable drives
    > (tape backups are history and expensive). Most have no access to the
    > server console - so they just pull cable out of the drive, and put the
    > next drive in (I educate them to ensuring the delay the swap for at
    > least ten seconds).
    >
    > I've yet to see any problem - the drives are never 'stopped' via the
    > safely remove hardware method (as said they have no access to the
    > console).

    OK if that works then it is OK, but one woud hope that people do
    random checks on the back-ups to ensure that the data is actually
    there and readable. Telecom has got into bad strife twice when
    backups of telephone exchange databases failed to restore. Heads
    rolled (including a second level manager) in one of these instances.

    > I do the same thing on my Server - there's no way I'm going to bother
    > with turning the monitor on, or remoting on, and using the 'safely
    > remove hardware' method. Waste of my time.

    See above.

    peterwn, Mar 21, 2008
  11. Geopelia

    peterwn Guest

    On Mar 21, 1:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Really? I wasn't aware that any of the flash drives actually cared what
    > filesystem you used on them.

    If you use a memory stick out of a blister pack, it is formatted in
    FAT and hence is immediately usable under Windows or Linux, There is
    no reason why it cannot be re-formatted to ext3, NTFS etc or even
    mixed partitions. The only worry with messing around in this way is
    if it compromises any mechanisms to spread writes evenly across the
    memory, since there is a finite limit to the number of writes before
    the memory wears out. I admit total ignorance in this area.

    peterwn, Mar 21, 2008
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <67cf4b11-94fe-424c-a339-a4317c57e041
    @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Mar 21, 12:16 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <44c8c5ac-fda7-416a-87bd-
    > > >,
    > > says...

    > > > Always go through the proper removal protocol when removing external
    > > > memory cards, memory sticks, cameras, external hard drives etc. This
    > > > applies to Windows, Linux or any other operating system. This ensures
    > > > any buffers are flushed, files are completely written and 'FAT's' and
    > > > directory data up updated (Or equivalents such as inodes on other file
    > > > system types). Otherwise you risk screwing up the file ystem and
    > > > losing data, especially with any file you have 'open' or writing.

    > > > It would not be too silly if there was a 'lock' on USB ports similar
    > > > to the 'lock' on CD drives.

    > > What lock on CD drives?

    > You will notice that you cannot open the CD drive when burning a CD.
    > While under Windows you can always release a CD, Linux often 'locks'
    > the drawer while the CD is 'mounted'. You need to un-mount or 'eject'
    > the CD to physically remove it.
    >

    > > It would piss a lot of folk off if there was some kind of mechanical
    > > lock on USB attached devices...

    > Be as it may, it would be there to protect people from their own
    > idiocy.
    >

    > > Case in point: most of my clients now backup to USB removable drives
    > > (tape backups are history and expensive). Most have no access to the
    > > server console - so they just pull cable out of the drive, and put the
    > > next drive in (I educate them to ensuring the delay the swap for at
    > > least ten seconds).
    > >
    > > I've yet to see any problem - the drives are never 'stopped' via the
    > > safely remove hardware method (as said they have no access to the
    > > console).

    > OK if that works then it is OK, but one woud hope that people do
    > random checks on the back-ups to ensure that the data is actually
    > there and readable. Telecom has got into bad strife twice when
    > backups of telephone exchange databases failed to restore. Heads
    > rolled (including a second level manager) in one of these instances.

    What good is a backup that isn't tested? Mine are routinely tested,
    including image restores (entire boot drives).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 21, 2008
  13. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <54f3a50b-5cb4-4a9e-a71c-311548c149a2
    @s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > On Mar 21, 1:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >

    > > Really? I wasn't aware that any of the flash drives actually cared what
    > > filesystem you used on them.

    > If you use a memory stick out of a blister pack, it is formatted in
    > FAT and hence is immediately usable under Windows or Linux, There is
    > no reason why it cannot be re-formatted to ext3, NTFS etc or even
    > mixed partitions. The only worry with messing around in this way is
    > if it compromises any mechanisms to spread writes evenly across the
    > memory, since there is a finite limit to the number of writes before
    > the memory wears out. I admit total ignorance in this area.

    Never put anything on a FAT or FAT32 drive that you care about.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 21, 2008
  14. In <fruv0b$t0n$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <1206057975.835214@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article
    >>> <>,
    >>> peterwn did write:

    >>> On Linux, you can mount the drive sync, use a journalling filesystem ...
    >>> what's the problem? :)

    >> You can use ntfs and no write cache on windows too, but the problem
    >> is that no hardware devices will do anything but fat so your stuck
    >> with that.

    > Really? I wasn't aware that any of the flash drives actually cared
    > what filesystem you used on them.

    I believe by 'hardware device' he means a device which uses the storage
    itself e.g. music player or camera. Lowest common denominator and all
    that, so very few of these can cope with anything other than FAT16 or
    FAT32.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 21, 2008
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Thank you everyone, most of your advice is over my head, but I'll save all
    your posts for future reference.

    I have found out what happened. The icon went off when I switched off the
    printer, so it must have been a warning for that. I wonder why I haven't
    seen it before. Perhaps the time the printer is left on triggers it?

    But why can't it just say "Turn off the printer" instead of going on about
    removing hardware and scaring people?

    Everybody here is so helpful, it is much appreciated. Dumb, aren't I?

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 21, 2008
  16. In article
    <>,
    peterwn did write:

    > On Mar 21, 1:20 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    > If you use a memory stick out of a blister pack, it is formatted in
    > FAT and hence is immediately usable under Windows or Linux, There is
    > no reason why it cannot be re-formatted to ext3, NTFS etc or even
    > mixed partitions. The only worry with messing around in this way is
    > if it compromises any mechanisms to spread writes evenly across the
    > memory ...

    How would the use of a more advanced filesystem possibly make any difference
    to such a mechanism?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 21, 2008
  17. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    Dave Doe wrote
    > Case in point: most of my clients now backup to USB removable drives
    > (tape backups are history and expensive). Most have no access to the
    > server console - so they just pull cable out of the drive, and put the
    > next drive in (I educate them to ensuring the delay the swap for at
    > least ten seconds).
    > I've yet to see any problem - the drives are never 'stopped' via the
    > safely remove hardware method (as said they have no access to the
    > console).
    > I do the same thing on my Server - there's no way I'm going to bother
    > with turning the monitor on, or remoting on, and using the 'safely
    > remove hardware' method. Waste of my time.

    They're probably set for quick removal.

    To check this:
    Double click the safely remove hardware icon.
    Select the device.
    Click Properties.
    Select the Policies Tab

    Select Optimise for quick removal:
    This disables Disk Caching on the disk and in Windows for the drive and
    allows disconnection without using the Safely remove hardware option.
    (I have 5 USB hard drives setup like this and have never had any problems
    with them)

    [or]
    Select Optimise for Performance:
    This enables Disk Caching and requires using the Safely remove Hardware
    option BEFORE physically disconnecting the drive.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Mar 21, 2008
  18. In article <frv7rg$e52$>, Geopelia did write:

    > The icon went off when I switched off the
    > printer, so it must have been a warning for that.

    Shouldn't have been that. The "safety" aspect is specifically for devices
    where you can suffer data loss if they're not properly cleaned up by the OS
    before being removed--i.e. storage devices. No way a printer could come
    under this category. Unless ... is it a multifunction device? Or does it
    have a card reader or something on it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 21, 2008
  19. Geopelia

    Max Burke Guest

    > Richard wrote:

    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> On Linux, you can mount the drive sync, use a journalling filesystem ...
    >> what's the problem? :)

    > You can use ntfs and no write cache on windows too, but the problem is
    > that no hardware devices will do anything but fat so your stuck with that.

    > What would be better is if there was an eject button/light on the plug of
    > the usb device so you could press it and it would do a force close of all
    > files on the device and unmount it then light up to let you know you can
    > unplug it.

    Perhaps you'd like to have a look at the 5 external USB hard drives I have
    plugged into this computer. All are set to NOT Cache (write) in Windows or
    on the drive, and all are NTFS drives.

    To check this for yourself:

    Max Burke, Mar 21, 2008
  20. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In article <frv7rg$e52$>, Geopelia did write:
    >
    >> The icon went off when I switched off the
    >> printer, so it must have been a warning for that.

    > Shouldn't have been that. The "safety" aspect is specifically for devices
    > where you can suffer data loss if they're not properly cleaned up by the
    > OS
    > before being removed--i.e. storage devices. No way a printer could come
    > under this category. Unless ... is it a multifunction device? Or does it
    > have a card reader or something on it?

    It prints and copies, also prints from the computer. I wouldn't know about a
    card reader. It has pictbridge, but I don't have a digital camera. It's
    supposed to have Image Zone for altering photos etc, but I didn't get some
    disc for that with the machine.
    hp 1315.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 21, 2008