safe to leave my laptop on all night?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sarah_hastings, May 15, 2006.

  1. hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!
    sarah_hastings, May 15, 2006

  2. sarah_hastings

    Hanson Guest

    "sarah_hastings" <>wrote :

    |hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    |all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    Only if it smokes in bed.
    Hanson, May 15, 2006

  3. sarah_hastings

    olfart Guest

    "sarah_hastings" <> wrote in message
    > hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    > all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    leave it on what???
    olfart, May 16, 2006
  4. sarah_hastings wrote:
    > hi.

    Hi,

    > is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    > all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    It's very unlikely, given that you don't put it around something that'll
    catch on fire easily or without ventilation(say, in your bed or
    something where the bedsheets can catch on fire and there's not a lot of
    ventilation).
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rnar?=, May 16, 2006
  5. sarah_hastings

    Alex Clayton Guest

    > hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    > all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    As long as it's free to vent, like on a hard surface it should be fine. I
    have had a couple of mine running all night several times when I was doing
    some large downloads, like the MS updates.
    Moderation is for monks."
    [Lazarus Long]
    Alex Clayton, May 16, 2006
  6. sarah_hastings

    Plato Guest

    sarah_hastings wrote:

    > hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    > all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    There is always a chance, but for a laptop, the chance is really low, ie
    too low to even worry about.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 16, 2006
  7. "sarah_hastings" <> wrote in message
    > hi. is there a chance that my laptop will catch fire if i leave it on
    > all night? i know this is probabaly a dumb question, but im a newbie!

    I have a ibm thinkpad T42 with a docking station at work, leave it on during
    the week.

    Like the other respondents mentioned, keep your ventilation ports unblocked.

    Dennis
    dennis meissner, May 18, 2006