    Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
    Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
    of alpha-numeric characters.

    Iona Bond, May 28, 2005

  2. Iona Bond

    Maria Guest

    Iona Bond wrote:

    > Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
    > a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
    > Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
    > Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
    > of alpha-numeric characters.

    What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? ;-))

    How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
    No way of answering your question without their names.
    Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
    Maria

    Maria, May 28, 2005

  3. Iona Bond

    Iona Bond Guest

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <>
    wrote:

    >Iona Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
    >> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
    >> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
    >> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
    >> of alpha-numeric characters.

    >What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? ;-))
    >
    >How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
    >No way of answering your question without their names.
    >Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
    >Maria

    Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
    to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
    And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
    apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
    and see what happens.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Iona Bond, May 29, 2005
  4. Iona Bond

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Iona Bond" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Iona Bond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
    >>> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
    >>> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
    >>> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
    >>> of alpha-numeric characters.

    >>What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? ;-))
    >>
    >>How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
    >>No way of answering your question without their names.
    >>Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
    >>Maria
    >>

    > Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
    > to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
    > And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
    > apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
    > and see what happens.

    Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.

    Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
    Step 2. Select "Rename"
    Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
    Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
    Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2005
  5. Iona Bond

    WormWood Guest

    "Iona Bond" <> wrote in message
    > Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
    > a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
    > Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
    > Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
    > of alpha-numeric characters.

    Don't delete unless you know exactly what you are doing.. The files you
    describe refer to Windows Updates. Some other sub-folders are relative
    to other MS and other programs that have been downloaded, ex: WMP. AVP,
    etc. One folder contains registry keys which you DON'T want to click on.

    WormWood, May 29, 2005
  6. Iona Bond

    Iona Bond Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Iona Bond" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? ;-))
    >>>
    >>>How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
    >>>No way of answering your question without their names.
    >>>Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
    >>>Maria
    >>>

    >> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
    >> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
    >> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
    >> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
    >> and see what happens.
    >>

    >Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
    >
    >Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
    >Step 2. Select "Rename"
    >Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
    >Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
    >Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

    Just cleaned my glasses :)

    a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
    a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
    833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
    34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
    8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

    Iona Bond, May 29, 2005
  7. Iona Bond

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Iona Bond" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Iona Bond" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
    >>> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
    >>> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
    >>> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
    >>> and see what happens.
    >>>

    >>Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
    >>
    >>Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
    >>Step 2. Select "Rename"
    >>Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
    >>Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
    >>Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

    > Just cleaned my glasses :)
    >

    > a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
    > a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
    > 833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
    > 34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
    > 8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

    Yup! I recognize that stuff...

    Those are folders used for updates - if you do delete them, then you will be
    unable to uninstall the updates that Windows Updates has put on your
    computer. So the question is: how much do you trust Microsoft? <g>
    Personally, I'd leave them there.

    If you're getting really cramped for hard drive space, then maybe consider
    doing some clean up there, but try this first: Open "My Computer", right
    click on the drive and select "Properties". On the "General" tab, click
    "Disk cleanup". (That won't remove those uninstall folders, but if you
    manually remove them, then you have stuff left in your registry that points
    to things that aren't there anymore.)

    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2005
  8. Iona Bond

    Fred Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
    >>> No way of answering your question without their names.
    >>> Rightclick them, *change name*, copy/paste into post.
    >>> Maria
    >>>

    >> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
    >> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
    >> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
    >> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the
    >> nmes and see what happens.
    >>

    > Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.

    Really? Why don't you read what you quoted above?

    Fred, May 29, 2005
  9. Iona Bond

    Iona Bond Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:19:11 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Iona Bond" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Iona Bond" <> wrote in message

    >>>Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
    >>>
    >>>Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
    >>>Step 2. Select "Rename"
    >>>Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
    >>>Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
    >>>Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

    >> Just cleaned my glasses :)
    >>

    >> a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
    >> a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
    >> 833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
    >> 34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
    >> 8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

    >Yup! I recognize that stuff...
    >
    >Those are folders used for updates - if you do delete them, then you will be
    >unable to uninstall the updates that Windows Updates has put on your
    >computer. So the question is: how much do you trust Microsoft? <g>
    >Personally, I'd leave them there.
    >
    >If you're getting really cramped for hard drive space, then maybe consider
    >doing some clean up there, but try this first: Open "My Computer", right
    >click on the drive and select "Properties". On the "General" tab, click
    >"Disk cleanup". (That won't remove those uninstall folders, but if you
    >manually remove them, then you have stuff left in your registry that points
    >to things that aren't there anymore.)

    Tim - thanks for that - and I think that Wormwood said basically the
    same thing - "Leave 'em alone"

    And thanks for that, too, Wormwood

    Iona Bond, May 29, 2005
  10. Iona Bond