    time?
    Why is the font color for this folder blue?
    , Mar 11, 2007

  2. Badger Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >A couple years ago I bought an HP computer that seems to have come
    > with games and other programs. The games weren't installed but the
    > installation files for all the programs are in a folder called
    > HPSelect with blue font color as opposed to black like all the other
    > folders. Some of the game instructions say they require the CD to be
    > in the drive.
    >
    > Is it safe to delete this entire folder?
    > Can these games be installed on another computer?
    > Will these games work without the CD since they didn't come with one?
    > Are these full games or trial versions that expire after a certain
    > time?
    > Why is the font color for this folder blue?

    The blue colour of the font is because the folder is compressed. (No
    problem - it will decompress on the fly for you if you want to access it.)
    If the games will not work without the CD it would seem to me that they
    could be deleted without any worries.
    Badger
    Badger, Mar 11, 2007

  3. svu geek Guest

    On Mar 11, 6:11 am, "Badger" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > >A couple years ago I bought an HP computer that seems to have come
    > > with games and other programs. The games weren't installed but the
    > > installation files for all the programs are in a folder called
    > > HPSelect with blue font color as opposed to black like all the other
    > > folders. Some of the game instructions say they require the CD to be
    > > in the drive.

    > > Is it safe to delete this entire folder?
    > > Can these games be installed on another computer?
    > > Will these games work without the CD since they didn't come with one?
    > > Are these full games or trial versions that expire after a certain
    > > time?
    > > Why is the font color for this folder blue?

    > The blue colour of the font is because the folder is compressed. (No
    > problem - it will decompress on the fly for you if you want to access it.)
    > If the games will not work without the CD it would seem to me that they
    > could be deleted without any worries.
    > Badger

    The folder is about 5.1 GB, would it be better to just delete the
    whole thing or should I use something like disk cleanup?

    I'm trying to free up disk space and I can't seem to find out where
    about 30 GB of space went. Is there a way to find out where it went?
    I'm wondering if some of it is for System Restore and/or that hidden
    partition (or whatever it is) where HP put the restore files. Any
    ideas?
    svu geek, Mar 12, 2007
  4. meerkat Guest

    "svu geek" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 11, 6:11 am, "Badger" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> >A couple years ago I bought an HP computer that seems to have come
    >> > with games and other programs. The games weren't installed but the
    >> > installation files for all the programs are in a folder called
    >> > HPSelect with blue font color as opposed to black like all the other
    >> > folders. Some of the game instructions say they require the CD to be
    >> > in the drive.

    >> > Is it safe to delete this entire folder?
    >> > Can these games be installed on another computer?
    >> > Will these games work without the CD since they didn't come with one?
    >> > Are these full games or trial versions that expire after a certain
    >> > time?
    >> > Why is the font color for this folder blue?

    >> The blue colour of the font is because the folder is compressed. (No
    >> problem - it will decompress on the fly for you if you want to access
    >> it.)
    >> If the games will not work without the CD it would seem to me that they
    >> could be deleted without any worries.
    >> Badger

    > The folder is about 5.1 GB, would it be better to just delete the
    > whole thing or should I use something like disk cleanup?
    >
    > I'm trying to free up disk space and I can't seem to find out where
    > about 30 GB of space went. Is there a way to find out where it went?
    > I'm wondering if some of it is for System Restore and/or that hidden
    > partition (or whatever it is) where HP put the restore files. Any
    > ideas?

    Reduce the amount af space allocated to System
    Restore.
    Switch it Off. Restart machine. Restart SR.
    And create a restore point.
    meerkat, Mar 12, 2007
  5. Gil J Guest

    "svu geek" <> wrote in message

    > I'm trying to free up disk space and I can't seem to find out where
    > about 30 GB of space went. Is there a way to find out where it went?
    > I'm wondering if some of it is for System Restore and/or that hidden
    > partition (or whatever it is) where HP put the restore files. Any
    > ideas?

    If you are having trouble getting into the restore partition, just try
    restarting the
    machine and when the HP invent screen flashes, hit the F 10 key and it
    should
    take you straight to the restore partition.
    Gil
    Gil J, Mar 12, 2007