Safe Mode

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rodney, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Rodney

    Rodney Guest

    A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95. It is permanently locked
    in safe mode. At one stage you can get a menu display that would normally
    allow you to get out - but the keyboard freezes. You can play games on the
    PC but little else. Can anyone suggest (apart from upgrading) what might be
    going on and how to fix it.

    Rod
     
    Rodney, Jan 21, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rodney

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Rodney wrote:
    > A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95. It is permanently locked
    > in safe mode. At one stage you can get a menu display that would normally
    > allow you to get out - but the keyboard freezes. You can play games on the
    > PC but little else. Can anyone suggest (apart from upgrading) what might be
    > going on and how to fix it.
    >
    > Rod
    >
    >

    corrupted io.sys?. Can you select other boot menu options?; step by step
    confirmation?; create log file?. The boot log file is called bootlog.txt
    and the log file for the previous boot is renamed to bootlog.prv
     
    Roger_Nickel, Jan 21, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rodney

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Rodney wrote:
    > A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95. It is permanently locked
    > in safe mode. At one stage you can get a menu display that would normally
    > allow you to get out - but the keyboard freezes. You can play games on the
    > PC but little else. Can anyone suggest (apart from upgrading) what might be
    > going on and how to fix it.
    >
    > Rod
    >
    >

    Try to enable step by step confirmation or logged boot. The log file is
    saved as bootlog.txt and the previous boot log is renamed to
    bootlog.prv. If you can enable these other menu options then the DOS
    system underlying Windows is working and the problem is probably an
    overwritten windows library file. You need a log file to fix this. If
    the whole menu system is frozen then you may have a corrupt io.sys or
    corrupt msdos.sys -- io.sys controls the boot process up to the start of
    safe mode and msdos.sys contains boot maenu options.
     
    Roger_Nickel, Jan 21, 2005
    #3
  4. Rodney

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:40:14 +1300, Roger_Nickel
    <> wrote:

    >Rodney wrote:
    >> A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95. It is permanently locked
    >> in safe mode. At one stage you can get a menu display that would normally
    >> allow you to get out - but the keyboard freezes. You can play games on the
    >> PC but little else. Can anyone suggest (apart from upgrading) what might be
    >> going on and how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Rod
    >>
    >>

    >Try to enable step by step confirmation or logged boot. The log file is
    >saved as bootlog.txt and the previous boot log is renamed to
    >bootlog.prv. If you can enable these other menu options then the DOS
    >system underlying Windows is working and the problem is probably an
    >overwritten windows library file. You need a log file to fix this. If
    >the whole menu system is frozen then you may have a corrupt io.sys or
    >corrupt msdos.sys -- io.sys controls the boot process up to the start of
    >safe mode and msdos.sys contains boot maenu options.



    Another thing to try: a scandisk surface test from dos. Bad sectors may have
    recently developed and Win95 can't read some files in the bad sectors.
     
    Invisible, Jan 21, 2005
    #4
  5. Rodney

    froggy Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:52:45 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:49:21 +1300, Rodney wrote:
    >
    >> A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95.

    >
    > WOW! The 486 chip is still in service, and not in a third world country.
    > So there we go the 486 lives on to serve in the Internet age.

    I have windows 95 running on a cyrix 486 class 100 MHz beasty
    with a whopping 16 MB of RAM and 130 MB of HDD space
     
    froggy, Jan 22, 2005
    #5
  6. Rodney

    Gordon Guest

    Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:49:21 +1300, Rodney wrote:

    > A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95.


    WOW! The 486 chip is still in service, and not in a third world country.
    So there we go the 486 lives on to serve in the Internet age.
     
    Gordon, Jan 22, 2005
    #6
  7. Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    In <> Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:49:21 +1300, Rodney wrote:
    >
    >> A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95.

    >
    > WOW! The 486 chip is still in service, and not in a third world
    > country. So there we go the 486 lives on to serve in the Internet age.


    The (popular) Internet age started 10 years ago, when Windows 95 was
    still in beta and budget PCs still used 486 CPUs.

    I'm using a Pentium 200MHz with Windows 98SE at work. Until about two
    years ago it was a 486 100MHz with Windows 95, and a couple of years
    before that it was a 386DX with Window 3.11. I'm at the end of the
    computer hand-me-down line :) but since it's only being used for light
    programming tasks the speed doesn't matter much. I did just go out and
    buy a nice $80 not-very-old 17" CRT monitor for it though, as I was
    getting sick of using old 15" monitors, especially when the new compiler
    really needs to run at 1024x768. Wow! I can see again.

    --
    Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand
    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/
    ________________________________________________________________________
    No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

    Kryten, from the Red Dwarf episode "The Last Day"
     
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 22, 2005
    #7
  8. Rodney

    froggy Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:02:30 +1300, Matty wrote:

    > froggy wrote:


    > I have a working HP 286 with 1MB of RAM and 20MB of disk.
    > It's probably 8 MHz. Runs many commercial applications like greased
    > lightning.
    > I'd like a bit more disk space though, 30MB would be fine.


    steady on there bud.. hard drive space isnt cheap ya know :p
     
    froggy, Jan 22, 2005
    #8
  9. Rodney

    Matty Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    froggy wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:52:45 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:49:21 +1300, Rodney wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95.

    >>
    >>WOW! The 486 chip is still in service, and not in a third world country.
    >>So there we go the 486 lives on to serve in the Internet age.

    >
    > I have windows 95 running on a cyrix 486 class 100 MHz beasty
    > with a whopping 16 MB of RAM and 130 MB of HDD space


    I have a working HP 286 with 1MB of RAM and 20MB of disk.
    It's probably 8 MHz. Runs many commercial applications like greased
    lightning.
    I'd like a bit more disk space though, 30MB would be fine.
     
    Matty, Jan 22, 2005
    #9
  10. Rodney

    Matty Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    froggy wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:02:30 +1300, Matty wrote:
    >
    >
    >>froggy wrote:

    >
    >
    >>I have a working HP 286 with 1MB of RAM and 20MB of disk.
    >>It's probably 8 MHz. Runs many commercial applications like greased
    >>lightning.
    >>I'd like a bit more disk space though, 30MB would be fine.

    >
    >
    > steady on there bud.. hard drive space isnt cheap ya know :p


    The extra disk space will be filled up only by my typing in text.
    How long will it take me to type 10 million characters?
    At 2 chars/second, about 35 weeks at 8 hours per day.
    I don't think I'll ever manage that.
    I think there's lots of data somewhere that I can delete anyway!

    On second thoughts I'll keep the machine as it is. What other PCs are
    still working perfectly after 20 years?
    I'll get a laptop. A 386 or 486 would do fine, with at least 640K of
    memory. I think it would need to have a FAT4 disk.
     
    Matty, Jan 22, 2005
    #10
  11. Rodney

    Mackin Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    Matty wrote:

    > froggy wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:02:30 +1300, Matty wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>froggy wrote:

    >>
    >>
    >>>I have a working HP 286 with 1MB of RAM and 20MB of disk.
    >>>It's probably 8 MHz. Runs many commercial applications like greased
    >>>lightning.
    >>>I'd like a bit more disk space though, 30MB would be fine.

    >>
    >>
    >> steady on there bud.. hard drive space isnt cheap ya know :p

    >
    > The extra disk space will be filled up only by my typing in text.
    > How long will it take me to type 10 million characters?
    > At 2 chars/second, about 35 weeks at 8 hours per day.
    > I don't think I'll ever manage that.
    > I think there's lots of data somewhere that I can delete anyway!
    >
    > On second thoughts I'll keep the machine as it is. What other PCs are
    > still working perfectly after 20 years?
    > I'll get a laptop. A 386 or 486 would do fine, with at least 640K of
    > memory. I think it would need to have a FAT4 disk.


    I have an old 386 Toshiba laptop that hasn't been used for years. Maybe
    I'll pull it out and see if it still works.

    Mackin.
     
    Mackin, Jan 22, 2005
    #11
  12. Rodney

    Adder Guest

    Re: Wow 8 something years on (Re: Safe Mode)

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:48:53 +1300, froggy
    <> says...
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:52:45 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:49:21 +1300, Rodney wrote:
    > >
    > >> A friend has an ancient 486 running Windows 95.

    > >
    > > WOW! The 486 chip is still in service, and not in a third world country.
    > > So there we go the 486 lives on to serve in the Internet age.

    > I have windows 95 running on a cyrix 486 class 100 MHz beasty
    > with a whopping 16 MB of RAM and 130 MB of HDD space


    i have it on a Pentium 100 with 48 MB, 2x HDD 1.2 GB & 540 MB
    used to have 14k4 modem but now its 28k8
     
    Adder, Jan 23, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Echy

    Safe mode Vs normal mode

    Echy, Aug 26, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,401
  2. Ladydeb

    adware different in safe mode and normal mode??

    Ladydeb, Sep 24, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    443
    Ladydeb
    Sep 24, 2004
  3. English Patient
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,862
    Old Gringo
    Oct 4, 2004
  4. Vic
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,208
    Gandalf
    Sep 23, 2005
  5. Vic
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    666
Loading...

Share This Page