    Echy
    Melbourne, Australia
    www.visitvictoria.com

    Echy, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Echy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:21:00 +1000, in message
     <430f87c5$0$22099$>, Echy wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am currently running Firefox 1.0.6 in safe mode due to a problem with
    > the normal version regularly calling an illegal operation error and
    > shutting down.
    >
    > What am I missing out on by continuing in safe mode ?

    Any extensions (see Tools -> Extensions) are disabled while in safe mode.

    The default theme is used, not any other theme which you have may have
    selected (see Tools -> Themes).

    See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons

    Ralph Fox, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Echy

    ar@x Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:21:00 +1000, in message
    > <430f87c5$0$22099$>, Echy wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I am currently running Firefox 1.0.6 in safe mode due to a problem with
    >> the normal version regularly calling an illegal operation error and
    >> shutting down.
    >>
    >> What am I missing out on by continuing in safe mode ?

    > Any extensions (see Tools -> Extensions) are disabled while in safe mode.
    >
    > The default theme is used, not any other theme which you have may have
    > selected (see Tools -> Themes).
    >
    > See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons

    I had a similar question some time back - however it turned out
    that I was not in 'Safe mode' at all - despite starting Firefox
    via Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
    Why did I think I was not in safe mode? My 'Gmail notifier' and my
    other extensions were still there, working as normal.

    Although I never quite resolved the issue satisfactorily - I put it down
    to running the Firefox Preloader at start up.

    Question - do you have Firefox Preloader installed?

    Vartkes

    ar@x, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Echy

    Echy Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:21:00 +1000, in message
    >><430f87c5$0$22099$>, Echy wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello
    >>>
    >>>I am currently running Firefox 1.0.6 in safe mode due to a problem with
    >>>the normal version regularly calling an illegal operation error and
    >>>shutting down.
    >>>
    >>>What am I missing out on by continuing in safe mode ?

    >>Any extensions (see Tools -> Extensions) are disabled while in safe mode.
    >>
    >>The default theme is used, not any other theme which you have may have
    >>selected (see Tools -> Themes).
    >>
    >>See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons
    >>

    > I had a similar question some time back - however it turned out
    > that I was not in 'Safe mode' at all - despite starting Firefox
    > via Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
    > Why did I think I was not in safe mode? My 'Gmail notifier' and my
    > other extensions were still there, working as normal.
    >
    > Although I never quite resolved the issue satisfactorily - I put it down
    > to running the Firefox Preloader at start up.
    >
    > Question - do you have Firefox Preloader installed?
    >
    > Vartkes

    To be perfectly honest I don't know what Firefox Preloader is !
    Originally I downloaded 1.06 from the Firefox site.

    However I too still have extensions working ??

    Echy

    Echy, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Echy

    Echy Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:21:00 +1000, in message
    > <430f87c5$0$22099$>, Echy wrote:
    >

    >>Hello
    >>
    >>I am currently running Firefox 1.0.6 in safe mode due to a problem with
    >>the normal version regularly calling an illegal operation error and
    >>shutting down.
    >>
    >>What am I missing out on by continuing in safe mode ?

    > Any extensions (see Tools -> Extensions) are disabled while in safe mode.
    >
    > The default theme is used, not any other theme which you have may have
    > selected (see Tools -> Themes).
    >
    > See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons
    >

    >>I don't notice
    >>anything different at this stage.
    >>
    >>Appreciate any advice.

    I use the default theme by choice but as far as I can see all my
    extensions are there & working ??

    Echy

    Echy, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Echy

    ar@x Guest

    Echy wrote:
    > ar@x wrote:
    >> "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid>
    >> wrote in message

    >>> Any extensions (see Tools -> Extensions) are disabled while in
    >>> safe mode. The default theme is used, not any other theme which you have
    >>> may
    >>> have selected (see Tools -> Themes).
    >>>
    >>> See http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons
    >>>

    >> I had a similar question some time back - however it turned out
    >> that I was not in 'Safe mode' at all - despite starting Firefox
    >> via Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
    >> Why did I think I was not in safe mode? My 'Gmail notifier' and my
    >> other extensions were still there, working as normal.
    >>
    >> Although I never quite resolved the issue satisfactorily - I put
    >> it down to running the Firefox Preloader at start up.
    >>
    >> Question - do you have Firefox Preloader installed?
    >>
    >> Vartkes
    >>

    > To be perfectly honest I don't know what Firefox Preloader is !
    > Originally I downloaded 1.06 from the Firefox site.

    OK, Firefox preloader is a program which speeds up the
    the loading up (start up) of Firefox program itself by pre-loading
    some components.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/

    However, if you do not know of it, then this cannot be the problem.

    Have you tried exiting from Firefox via 'File' > 'Exit' (instead of just
    closing it via the 'x')

    and then

    'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Mozilla Firefox' > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

    ar@x, Aug 27, 2005
  7. Echy

    Echy Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > Echy wrote:
    >
    >>ar@x wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid>
    >>>wrote in message

    >>>I had a similar question some time back - however it turned out
    >>>that I was not in 'Safe mode' at all - despite starting Firefox
    >>>via Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
    >>>Why did I think I was not in safe mode? My 'Gmail notifier' and my
    >>>other extensions were still there, working as normal.
    >>>
    >>>Although I never quite resolved the issue satisfactorily - I put
    >>>it down to running the Firefox Preloader at start up.
    >>>
    >>>Question - do you have Firefox Preloader installed?
    >>>
    >>>Vartkes
    >>>

    >>To be perfectly honest I don't know what Firefox Preloader is !
    >>Originally I downloaded 1.06 from the Firefox site.

    > OK, Firefox preloader is a program which speeds up the
    > the loading up (start up) of Firefox program itself by pre-loading
    > some components.
    > https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/
    >
    > However, if you do not know of it, then this cannot be the problem.
    >
    > Have you tried exiting from Firefox via 'File' > 'Exit' (instead of just
    > closing it via the 'x')
    >
    > and then
    >
    > 'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Mozilla Firefox' > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

    Thanks again for your help. I will use this method ..... but the funny
    thing (good thing) is that Firefox has been working OK of late in what I
    thought/think is Safe Mode.

    Echy

    Echy, Aug 27, 2005